Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
February 22, 2017, 11:53:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 SRX, Lambdas To Gain New Twin-Turbo V6  (Read 19474 times, 3 Replies)
admin
Administrator
Acadia Freak

« on: August 14, 2010, 01:28:08 PM »

Back in March GMInsidenews uncovered General Motors’ plan to produce a twin-turbocharged variant of its 3.0-liter V6. At the time of publication the engine was far enough in development to have its own RPO code—LF3. Sources, however, were not 100-percent sure on which applications the new turbo mill would end up in. Over the course of the past five months GM has apparently firmed up at least two product lines that will utilize the LF3.

According to two different sources the twin-turbo 3.0-liter will find its way into the Cadillac SRX luxury crossover and the next-generation Lambda full-size crossovers. The SRX will gain the new mill for the 2013 model-year, which is likely to bring a mid-cycle enhancement to the crossover as well.

Today the SRX is powered by the naturally aspirated 3.0-liter V6 and optional 2.8-liter turbo. GM will be dropping the 2.8-liter in favor of the new twin-turbo, but we’re told the 3.0-liter base engine will likely be dropped in favor of the 3.6-liter V6. GMI has been told that a Two Mode hybrid variant of the SRX is also slated. Like the short-lived Two Mode Saturn Vue, the SRX is said to have a plug-in option as well.

It is already on the record that the 2013 model year will bring new Lambda crossovers, including the Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia. The redesigned crossovers will see a displacement downsizing in favor of the twin turbochargers on the LF3. At this time GMI has not been informed of any additional engine offerings on the new Lambda’s, though it is expected that the twin-turbo will be optional on the lower end models.

Additionally, sources have stated that the LF3 will end up in the upcoming Cadillac XTS and next-generation Chevrolet Impala. No power or fuel economy figures are known at this time.

Source: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/srx-lambdas-gain-new-twin-turbo-v6-94650/#post2128335

2007 Acadia SLT1 (Carbon Metallic/Titanium, DVD, Convenience, Captains Chairs, Cargo Pkg, XM, outlet) photo album
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (Summit White/Beige, RS pkg, Sunroof, 20" Polished Wheels, 426HP of Pure Evil!)
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 01:31:34 PM »

Nice  thumbs up

Please cross post to the Enclave forum; there has been some talk about this upgrade  Grin

oops already done  Cheers

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
mfine

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 05:18:10 PM »

Displacement downsizing is likely to come with some significant downsides. Moving a 5000 lb vehicle with a 5200 lb towing capacity on 6 tiny, very high preassure cylinders sounds like a recipee for short engine life, short transmission life or both. I hope they are concerned with more than just chasing fuel economy numbers.

2011 Acadia SLE with tow package in gold mist
Hawkeye
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:45:25 PM »

Displacement downsizing is likely to come with some significant downsides. Moving a 5000 lb vehicle with a 5200 lb towing capacity on 6 tiny, very high preassure cylinders sounds like a recipee for short engine life, short transmission life or both. I hope they are concerned with more than just chasing fuel economy numbers.

Unfortunately our government is forcing the change to meet the new fuel mileage standards.  Towing capabilities are just going to get worse but we'll gain in the mpg.  Going to be an interesting or frustrating next 10 years in the auto world.

2010 SLT-2 In Red Jewel Tintcoat
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories