Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
September 21, 2014, 06:08:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC light blinking - not working  (Read 26423 times, 19 Replies)
dinc

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »

ATTN: Moderators. I am very sorry. I think this thread should go to Technical discussion - General. Thanks. 

Hi friends,

This happened to me twice already and I am bothered about it.

1. Left the AC on when turing off my car.
2. Within the reach of the remote key, I turned on the Car wirelessly. AC should turn on too (i dont have the auto climate control feature).
3. As soon as I got inside the car (with 5mins after of starting), put the key in the ignition. Noticed the air coming from the vent is hot (hotter than outside). Please note that outside temp 54deg Cel (129F) on the first instance and 50C (122F) on the second.
4. I noticed that AC light is blinking 3times then will be off again.
5. I already turned off AUX, make sure that all Ducts are in VENT mode. Recirculating on/off -> but still AC light will just blink and turn off.
6. I already turned off/on the engine more than three times.
7. Gee, its really hot inside the car and it is pointless to open the window too.
8. After about 10mins of driving, AC just turned on.

I don't know how to reproduce this issue. I dont like to go to the stealership, opps dealership and the will just say, we can't reproduce your issue and car is fine. My warranty will expire this Sept and I am hoping to find this issue so that they can fix it. By the way, this two incidents happend when, 1. its too hot and 2. using my remote engine start with AC on.

I already used search option in th forum but didnt find any same topic. Hope you can help me guyz.

model: 2008 Acadia SLE

Acadia SLE FWD 2008
Location Kuwait
eljones247

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 10:38:36 AM »

How hot was the car?  I'm guessing its some kind of protection preventing the engine from getting hotter.  Some kind of primal mode.  If it happens when the car was cooler (not recently dove) it could be something else.  130 ambient degrees is hot.  That is only 65 degrees bellow the standard engine temp.  Not much room to play with especially at idle.

2009 SLT-1, Quicksilver Metallic, Titanium Leather, 7 Passenger, Convenience PKG, Remote Start, Tow PKG, 19" Wheels, Weather-Tech Full Coverage, Tint
mioutlook
Wolverine Lambda Fan

?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:44:07 AM »

Take a look at this, it could be several things:

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2007/06/flashing-ac-indicator-lamp.html

I would have it checked before your warranty is up.

'13 White Diamond Tricoat AWD Denali - Loaded
Sold 12/2012 '07 Red Jewel Outlook XE - Tow Package, Dual Sunroofs, Advanced Audio
Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:12:42 AM »

After reading the write-up in the link, I think it's worth the trip to a dealership.

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »

Without auto climate; I don't think the A/C will turn on.........

On the other hand; those high temps there might be some internal control to prevent the A/C from running until you get some airflow into the engine

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
GeoHawk
Thread Killer
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

GeoHawk no function beer well without

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 04:08:25 PM »

Moved to Problems Board, probably more applicable than the Tech section as it sounds like a system malfunction. 

2008 Acadia FWD SLT-2 Liquid Silver/Brick (Built 8/24/07 - Mine 9/7/07) - Wave Plate Victim at 66,000 miles
2007 Silverado CC 4x4 LTZ 6.0L (Built 2/19/07 - Mine 2/28/07)
2009 G5 5-spd (Built 11/10/08 - Mine 7/10/12)
2014 Cruze 2LT/RS 6-spd (Built 2/26/14 - Mine 3/22/14)
dinc

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »

Same issue happened again 4 times already. 3 times just now while driving to office. Recalculating will turn off, then AC led will blink three times and shut off (blower is still on)… 
It was 50++ deg cel (52 to be exact in the car). I think this is the common factor of my problem. Honestly, when I am seeing temp reaches 54++ in the panel, I always check my gauges and somehow scared that a problem might occur due to very hot temp. Engine temp will reach 3/4.

Anyhow, I called my agent and he told me to bring the car as it may be having too much gas in the AC system. I am not an expert by maybe right too, isn’t it? Dry part of the AC will be very hot causing the whole system to shut off to protect itself?
Gee, why won’t  be the temp here in Kuwait will shutoff just for a while…. Imagine, even at 11pm, temp can easy reach 50deg cell without the sun.

By the way, I am an expat here… that is why I hate the weather. 

I will surely share whatever finding the dealership have. Thanks.

eljones247: Wasn’t able to check the engine temp that time. I would be pretty sure it is passed middle mark, say 110 degs.

mioutlook & Speleos: was too lazy to go the dealership. But since issue is recurring, this time it is worth the visit. Also the cracking sound in the steering needs to be recheck again (omy, this doesn’t go away for acadia).

AA/78U: having auto climate, based on what I remember in the manual, AC or Heater will turn-on depending on what is the weather outside the car.

GeoHawk: thanks.

Acadia SLE FWD 2008
Location Kuwait
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 11:18:54 AM »

It was 50++ deg cel (52 to be exact in the car). I think this is the common factor of my problem. Honestly, when I am seeing temp reaches 54++ in the panel, I always check my gauges and somehow scared that a problem might occur due to very hot temp. Engine temp will reach 3/4.

Engine temp needle goes to 3/4; I bet this is why your A/C is kicking off; looking forward to see what the dealer comes up with.  I would ask the dealer to check the radiator fluid at the radiator itself not the overflow tank

dinc

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »

Engine temp needle goes to 3/4; I bet this is why your A/C is kicking off; looking forward to see what the dealer comes up with.  I would ask the dealer to check the radiator fluid at the radiator itself not the overflow tank

Oh. Thank you for pointing that out! I asked them before and they said that I won't be alarmed if Engine temp reaches 3/4 (over 3/4 needs attention already and actions). So I thought engine temp is not related to my AC issue.

I will ask them again regarding this.  Oh No Undecided

Acadia SLE FWD 2008
Location Kuwait
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 11:56:32 AM »

Well it could be; your high temps can cause your engine temp to rise above what "we" consider normal here in the U.S.  I would say that most of us find the engine temp needle to be about 1/2 way on a constant basis.  I live in Arizona and we normally have temps at this time of the year in the high 30's to low 40's C.  You mentioned 50+ C which translates to 120+F  Shocked so that could definitely make that needle move higher. 

dinc

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 10:22:24 AM »

Finally got the Car yesterday after 4 days in the Garage (AC and steering growling job).

Regarding my AC issue:
They have recovered all old gas and put a new one using the new advised pressure as per GMC's bulletin. They also have re-programmed the computer box. As per the QA guy, Due to very hot climate here, GMC had released new bulletin to fix this issue. AC had been tripped off if it reached that certain threshold.

I think what I could understand is, AC it tripping since the DRY part of the AC system is already beyond the threshold set in the computer system. So solution was to reset the threshold and put certain amount of Gas.

Driven the car yesterday and today where it is 52deg Cel in the gauge. But I remember the issue is happening when it is more than 54 dec cel. Anyhow, QA guy said that other cars they have updated have resolved this issue. I think I will have to trust them.  Binky Baby. hehe.

Therefore, US acadia users should'nt face this kind of issue..... only if you will reach more than 54 dec Cel over there.  flaming mad Tongue

Thanks guys for all of have shared information regarding my issue.

Cheers

Acadia SLE FWD 2008
Location Kuwait
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 10:36:34 AM »

Good to hear your issue was resolved....I doubt we'll hit 52C here in the U.S.  Grin

Jeffb

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 07:16:56 PM »

I hate to bring this one back, but I am having a similar problem.  This makes problem #6 in 5 months for a car we just bought in January.  Today, the HUD said it was about 103 F, I turned the AC on, but after about 10 seconds, it would kick off.  The manual said that if you turn it on and it goes off, "the AC is not available" (whatever that means).  The inside of the car was hot, the outside was hot, we drove it for about 10 minutes and it would keep doing the same thing.  It would get cold, kick off and get hot, like a vicious cycle.  If it needed freon, it wouldn't cause the whole AC to kick off would it?  I figured it would just blow hot air.

2009 Acadia SLT AWD
Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »

...  If it needed freon, it wouldn't cause the whole AC to kick off would it?  ...

Yes it does.  This saves the compressor from tearing itself apart!  Get some refigerant added to the system and have it checked for any leaks.

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
MedicRxDoc
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 11:48:09 PM »

"the AC is not available" (whatever that means). 

That might mean because of the outside ambient temperature is too low...not applicable for your situation.

2nd the vote to have the refrigerant level checked and to have UV light tested for leaks.

2007 Liquid Silver Acadia
2003 Ford Excursion 7.3 L Diesel
Jeffb

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 11:56:57 PM »

Well, my wife drove the car tonight, temp outside was about 87-90 and she said it worked fine.  Maybe it was just too hot and the car couldn't keep up?  We will get it checked ASAP and hopefully it is just a leak and low on freon.

2009 Acadia SLT AWD
capecodacadia
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 01:00:33 AM »

See if keeping the AC temp no lower than 65 helps....

2008 Acadia SLT2 (AWD) - Deep Blue Metallic with Titanium leather - HID, HUD, XM, OnStar, dual moon roofs, touch screen NAV w/rear view camera, entertainment package (DVD/Bose), remote start... but no darn ashtray! Build date 28Aug07
golf2beach

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »

This past Saturday when the temp was well over 102 degrees and my vehicle had been driven for about 30 minutes and sitting in the sun, three times when I started it and drove down the street about 300 yards the A/C light would blink (I think three times) and then the A/C would go off, but the fan would continue to blow.  The AC would then come back on in about another 300 yards down the road and be just fine for the rest of the trip. 

After reading previous posts to this thread and other blogs/forums I thought I would mention this issue to my dealer yesterday when I took my Acadia in for an oil change.  The dealer called me back mid-day and said that the system was operating as designed when the outside temp gets that hot and the engine is hot.  The dealer referenced TSB 09-01-38-004.  Can someone post the contents of this TSB so all can read?

Thanks.

2014 Carbon Black Metallic (58u) • SLT • FWD • Ebony Leather • Dual Sunroof • Trailering Package • Visibility Package • 7 Passenger Seating • OEM Cargo Mat • OEM Step Assist Running Boards • RubberTite floor mats • NAV System• Draw-Tite 20x48 Folding Cargo Carrier •
rbarrios
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 12:09:30 PM »

A/C - A/C Indicator Or Recirculation Indicator Flashing

INFORMATION

Bulletin No.: 09-01-38-004

Date: July 31, 2009

Subject: Information on Vehicles with HVAC Control Module A/C and Recirculation Indicators Flashing

Models:
2008-2010 Buick Enclave
2007-2010 Cadillac Escalade Models
2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2009-2010 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2010 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
2007-2010 Saturn OUTLOOK

Condition/Concern

Important
DO NOT replace the HVAC Control Module for a flashing A/C Indicator or flashing Recirculation Indicator, as this is normal operation.

Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:

- The Air Conditioning (A/C) indicator on the heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) control module flashes then turns OFF after they press the A/C button.
- The Recirculation indicator on the HVAC control module flashes then turns OFF after they press the Recirculation button.
- The passenger (PASS) temperature setting flashes then turns OFF after they press the PASS button. 
- The driver and passenger temperature settings revert to previous temperature settings when changing from defrost to bi-level, vent, floor or defog.

This is normal operation for the HVAC Control Module and indicates that the A/C, Recirculation and Passenger functions are not available at this time.

The following parameters are reasons that the A/C functions may not be available (calibrated values vary by program):

- Ambient air temperature (AAT) is too cold (if equipped with Ambient Air Temperature Sensor)
- Vehicle system voltage is less than 9.5 volts

- Refrigerant pressure is too low
- Refrigerant pressure is too high
- Engine coolant temperature (ECT) is too high
- Engine is not in RUN
- HVAC Control Head is in the OFF position

The following mode settings are reasons Recirculation may not be available:

- Mode switch set on Floor
- Mode switch set on Defog
- Mode switch set on Defrost

The following mode setting is the reason the passenger mode may not be available:

The mode switch is set on Defrost.

Note
The reason(s) A/C is currently disabled can be viewed with a Tech 2(R) by navigating to HVAC Data display and viewing the A/C Permission parameter.
Recommendation/Instructions

Note
To maintain the highest level of customer satisfaction, INFORM the customer of all of the following conditions:

- The flashing A/C indicators on the HVAC control module represent normal operation and indicate that the A/C, Recirculation and/or Passenger functions are not available at this time.
- Changing the passenger temperature setting while in the Defrost mode will change the Driver temperature setting.
- Changes made to temperature settings while in Defrost mode will revert to the previous settings upon returning to Bi-level, Vent, Floor or Defog.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
golf2beach

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 02:10:05 PM »

Thanks rbarrios for the post. 

While my particular condition was slightly different than the customer comments in the TSB I think my situation (A/C functions may not be available ) certainly was caused by the parameter Engine coolant temperature (ECT) is too high.  Due to the fact that the Ambient air temperature (AAT) at the time was well over 103 degrees my Auto-Climate control was already in the A/C and re-circulate modes when I started my vehicle each time.  Given these factors I'm incline to say the HVAC worked as programmed.

Thanks again for posting the TSB.

2014 Carbon Black Metallic (58u) • SLT • FWD • Ebony Leather • Dual Sunroof • Trailering Package • Visibility Package • 7 Passenger Seating • OEM Cargo Mat • OEM Step Assist Running Boards • RubberTite floor mats • NAV System• Draw-Tite 20x48 Folding Cargo Carrier •
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories