Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
November 28, 2014, 09:14:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Acadia? Check out the all new GMC Terrain at http://www.TerrainForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP I CAN'T GET MY KEY OUT!  (Read 15754 times, 21 Replies)
podunkacadiafor30k

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »

Hey, Im new here so bare with me as I explain this problem from the beginning.  I have a 2008 FWD Acadia.  It all started when i noticed that sometimes I could shift my transmission out of and back into park and through all the gears without the key in the ignition.  At first I thought it was just me...or a glitch.  Many times after that i tried and like it should've with out the key in the ignition I couldn't just simply shift it out of park.  Over the course of a week or so, i noticed more and more that something was wrong....when in drive i could just shut off the vehicle and remove the key, or reverese....any position other than park.  One day when i got home I couldnt remove the key.  The car was in park, off...nothing should have been stopping me from removing the key.  Towed it to the dealer...they said it was a fuse?  Couple days later...the same problems crop up again....being able to just shift outta park with no key in the ignition...being in reverse and just shutting it off and it lets me remove the key...then one night BAM-cant get the key out.  This time the dealer said it was bc of a solenoid in the transmission shifter column that had "pop" spilled on it.  Okay.. so everything seems in working order for a about a month.  This morning....guess what...the key is stuck again.  Anybody have similar issues or an idea of what is goin on here?  I'm thinking about buying the extended warranty bc mine is up in about 1500 miles...or should i just use that money for a downpayment for a new honda?
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »

Seems like you have two issues here; shifting and the key getting stuck.  Are you having any battery issues? 

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
podunkacadiafor30k

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:19:20 PM »

Well ya kinda, when the key gets stuck not only is it not able to be removed from the ignition, but I cant turn the ignition far enough back to the off position...causing everything to stay on if its not running...so indirectly it causes the battery to die.  But to answer the question really, no....i've never had any dead battery type issues or problems starting related to the battery that would cause it to keep the key bc of the theft mechanism, etc...
canuckdrvr

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 09:59:22 AM »

had a similar issue with my Audi TT ... it turned out the steering wheel was turned just enough to where the lock made it impossible to turn the car on or take the key out.

2010 Acadia SLE1 AWD, Red Jewel Tintcoat, HD Trailering, Block Heater
BigTallVandy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 04:46:49 PM »

Well ya kinda, when the key gets stuck not only is it not able to be removed from the ignition, but I cant turn the ignition far enough back to the off position...causing everything to stay on if its not running...so indirectly it causes the battery to die.  But to answer the question really, no....i've never had any dead battery type issues or problems starting related to the battery that would cause it to keep the key bc of the theft mechanism, etc...

Shot in the dark here... but there's a recall for the shift indicator (certain lambda vehicles).  Basically vehicle could indicate wrong gear selection, when/if that should happen - one wouldn't be able to take their key out.  Not saying this *is* your particular issue, but maybe your vehicle isn't getting into park despite 'indicator' saying so.  Just my $.02

Regards,
/BTV

2009 Outlook XR (FWD) in Carbon Black Metallic, Preferred Equipment Group 1XR, Ebony Cloth 7 Passenger Seating, Two Panel Sunroof, V92 Trailer Package, Cold Weather Package (Remote Start & Heated Washer Fluid System), 2nd Row Console, Bose Premium Audio Package With 10 Speakers
podunkacadiafor30k

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 02:41:39 PM »

My acadia was fixed today...and so far it's in working condition.  I talked to the technician directly and he said the problem was "The fuse that controls the mechanism responsible for not letting you remove the key from the ignition was blown again."  Just like the first time i mentioned. He then continued on "A wire that was part of that circuitry was shorted....causing that fuse to blow....so I replaced the wire and of course the fuse."  Now my first reaction is just none at all....I would like to believe him so that i can have the peace of mind that my acadia is repaired.  What's your guys' thoughts?
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 02:45:25 PM »

My acadia was fixed today...and so far it's in working condition.  I talked to the technician directly and he said the problem was "The fuse that controls the mechanism responsible for not letting you remove the key from the ignition was blown again."  Just like the first time i mentioned. He then continued on "A wire that was part of that circuitry was shorted....causing that fuse to blow....so I replaced the wire and of course the fuse."  Now my first reaction is just none at all....I would like to believe him so that i can have the peace of mind that my acadia is repaired.  What's your guys' thoughts?

Well it's certainly possible this was happening; maybe some of the wire sheath had worn off enough so that the wire was contacting some metal and poof......there goes the fuse.  If this fix holds; then you know you have a good fix.  Let us know

rbarrios
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 02:48:15 PM »

well on a side note--- the manual does have a "Automatic Transmissions Shift Lock Control system Check"
 a check that should be performed at LEAST once per year.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
podunkacadiafor30k

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 05:25:06 PM »

Hey you guys......guess what.  Yup I came home about 8 this morning and behold....I can't remove the key again.   I took it straight to the dealership and wanted to wait on it, but they said they probably wouldn't get to it so they gave me a rental.  I'm gonna have a word with the technician again to see what he says....I'm sure it can't be a wire this time.  I'll keep you all updated. 
R-D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 12:35:57 AM »

Had a similar problem on my '98 Grand Am, could not remove the key despite the vehicle being in Park. Apparently a BTSI solenoid stopped working and the vehicle did not know when it was in park, therefore it would not allow the key to be removed.

Under the steering column was a cap (like a battery cover on a remote) with a little button to push which would bypass the lock on the ignition, and let me turn the key. I used this for years and it became second nature when removing the key so much that I would reach under the steering column to do this in other vehicles I drove. Smiley

Never bothered to look if there was anything similar int he Acadia, apparently GM had this little bypass switch in a lot of their vehicles of that age.

05/12/2011 : 2011 JEEP PATRIOT 4X4 LTD, FD-II, CVT OFF ROAD, MEDIA CENTER 430N, BLACKBERRY w/DK. SLATE LEATHER
04/21/2009 : 2007 ACADIA SLT2 AWD, BLUE w/LT. TITANIUM LEATHER, NAV, XM, DVD, SUNROOF, 19", TOW, HUD
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 12:40:47 AM »

I don't think there is any kind of ignition override switch on these electronic ignition systems; would be nice for those with battery issues

evahnulahm

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 09:10:18 AM »

Does GM give you any kind of extended warranty of stuff like this that they fix during the B2B and then it breaks again out of warranty? I would just beat them up until they fixed it properly but shouldn't they cover it if you have brought it in for the same issue?

Current Vehicles:
2007 GMC Acadia SLT-1, Silver, Titanium, Power Liftgate, Bose
2004 BMW 325i
Past Vehicles:
2004 Subaru WRX
1991 Dodge Daytona IROC
1987 Dodge Daytona Pacifica
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S with 442 hood
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 10:59:37 AM »

Does GM give you any kind of extended warranty of stuff like this that they fix during the B2B and then it breaks again out of warranty? I would just beat them up until they fixed it properly but shouldn't they cover it if you have brought it in for the same issue?

A "good" dealer should cover any repairs that were worked under the B2B and are now coming up again, but I don't think they are mandated to do this  Undecided  I think if you "kick and scream" they will take care of it though  Undecided

09Enclave
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 01:00:14 PM »

Had a similar problem on my '98 Grand Am, could not remove the key despite the vehicle being in Park. Apparently a BTSI solenoid stopped working and the vehicle did not know when it was in park, therefore it would not allow the key to be removed.

Under the steering column was a cap (like a battery cover on a remote) with a little button to push which would bypass the lock on the ignition, and let me turn the key. I used this for years and it became second nature when removing the key so much that I would reach under the steering column to do this in other vehicles I drove. Smiley

Never bothered to look if there was anything similar int he Acadia, apparently GM had this little bypass switch in a lot of their vehicles of that age.
That's funny, I thought this key electric link was a new thing.  This was on 98 MY vehicles?  News to me.

2009 Enclave CX FWD, silver green with ebony cloth, driver's confidence pkg, tow pkg, 8-passenger seating.
podunkacadiafor30k

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 09:40:05 PM »

Hey, guess what....the key is stuck again.  But this was three days ago.   Actually, I got it back today and I'm writing to tell you whats happened.  Friday morning the key couldnt be removed.  They told me this morning that it was because of the wiring harness underneath the driver's side seat...causing the system to short and the fuse to blow; yes it took them this long to repair it. Neways....I came back from the store about 20 min ago...behold, the key is stuck again.   Somebody PLEASE shed some light on the issue.  Thanks.
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 08:01:29 AM »

There's wiring under the seats that could cause the system to short and lock the key in the ignition  shrug ....... I wonder if maybe the ignition itself is having an issue

kurtzr

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 11:23:32 PM »

Hello, did you ever find out what the actual problem was?  I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook and today I can't get the key out.  The problem I am having sounds exactly like what you are saying - a fuse or solenoid is blown.  Do you know which fuse it was?  The fuses under the hood are easy to get at, but you have to be a monkey to get at the interior fuse box.  I disconnected the battery cable to prevent my battery from going dead.

Two things I did this past week was hook up my camper so there could be a problem with my trailer wiring that blew a fuse.  Secondly the vehicle sat outside in the rain while we were camping and possibly some water got into something that caused the fuse to go.

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.  Thank you.

2008 Black Saturn Outlook XR, Loaded.
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 11:40:53 PM »

Two things I did this past week was hook up my camper so there could be a problem with my trailer wiring that blew a fuse.  Secondly the vehicle sat outside in the rain while we were camping and possibly some water got into something that caused the fuse to go.

Does your Outlook have the tow package and sunroofs?

kurtzr

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 01:15:21 AM »

Yes, it has a tow package and dual sun roof.  I have been reading this site and working on my vehicle.  I noticed that the power sun roof does not work, the power windows don't work, the right rear signal \ brake light is not working.  I put a new bulb in and the signal \ brake light still do not work.  I am not sure how these can all be related to the key not turning to the off position, but it is what I have found so far.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

2008 Black Saturn Outlook XR, Loaded.
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »

IMO; you could be getting water in or on the fuse block in the engine area; have you noticed any moisture around the fuse block?  Any sunroof water leaks that you are aware of?  

Here is a thread from the Traverse forum; might shed some light on your issue

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1176.0

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories