Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
July 24, 2014, 08:20:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Acadiaforum Window Decals are now available!  Order Here

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Owner Advice / Rear Hatch Problem  (Read 9696 times, 14 Replies)
RyUIUC

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:37:44 PM »

Hello All- Just bought a 2008 Acadia SLT-2.  One problem I have with it even as we drove off the lot was the rear liftgate.  Whenever it is activated it goes up slowly to the top then a brief grinding noise and plunk, the door drops a couple feet then holds then drops all the way down.  I am not sure if this is a common problem or how the previous owner (a lease) could have not had this resolved before turning it in.  Im worried it might have been a reoccuring problem and they gave up on it.  Also, when I turn the power to the rear liftgate off it still does not function correctly as there is no power in the struts to keep the door held in the open position.  Im taking it to the GM dealer tomorrow to have it fixed.

Which brings me to my next question.  I bought this with 33k miles and so I have only 3k left in the bumpertobumper warranty and want to know of any other things I should have checked out before I leave the dealership and drive beyond the warranty.  Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

SEARCH BEFORE YOU ASK

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:40:06 PM »

Well I hope your dealer did a thorough inspection before they sold it; although we know how things go.

It sounds like the struts or the power mechanism is having issues

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:42:25 PM »

Hello All- Just bought a 2008 Acadia SLT-2.  One problem I have with it even as we drove off the lot was the rear liftgate.  Whenever it is activated it goes up slowly to the top then a brief grinding noise and plunk, the door drops a couple feet then holds then drops all the way down.  I am not sure if this is a common problem or how the previous owner (a lease) could have not had this resolved before turning it in.  Im worried it might have been a reoccuring problem and they gave up on it.  Also, when I turn the power to the rear liftgate off it still does not function correctly as there is no power in the struts to keep the door held in the open position.  Im taking it to the GM dealer tomorrow to have it fixed.

Which brings me to my next question.  I bought this with 33k miles and so I have only 3k left in the bumpertobumper warranty and want to know of any other things I should have checked out before I leave the dealership and drive beyond the warranty.  Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Sunroof (if equipped) recall is the big one.

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
RyUIUC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 12:42:42 PM »

Thanks!
caperpower

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 12:45:29 PM »

Sounds like the struts are failing, they are what take the weight of the door...its like a garage door, if not for the tension in the springs the garage door opener would never lift the weight.

2010 slt-1 awd, carbon black, 7-psgr, sunroof, rear camera, dvd, pwr. lift gate, remote start, tow pkg., light titanium leather...and loving it!!
RyUIUC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 12:59:14 PM »

I have read about a lot of sunroof issues from other forums,  my is equipped with one and I havent noticed any interior water damage and we did bring it through a car wash with no signs there.  Should I put a hose or something up there for a while to check?

Where is a complete list of recalls?
Nvr2loud
Acadia Guru

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 01:26:19 PM »

I had a 2008 SLE without a power hatch, however the struts that hold the hatch up failed at 40,000km and had to be replaced. It was done under warranty, took less then an hour, and the price of the parts (I didn't have to pay) was only around $80.00 each. Yours should be covered under warranty, but if not... doesn't seem like it is a major problem.

BTW, my hatch was always hard to open, so it was likely one bad strut right from new... the other one stopped instantly, no notice at all, so perhaps the previous driver didn't even know there was a problem.

2008 SLE AWD 8psg Medium Brown Metallic RIP
2010 SLE2 AWD 8psg Summit White / Sunroof / tow pkg Traded-IN
2012 SLE2 AWD 8psg QuickSilver / Sunroof / tow pkg / heated seats / DVD entertainment system
2011 Sierra SLT Crew Cab / 5.3 V8 / 4x4 / Sunroof
2011 Polaris Ranger 500 Crew
2004 Trailcruiser
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »

I have read about a lot of sunroof issues from other forums,  my is equipped with one and I havent noticed any interior water damage and we did bring it through a car wash with no signs there.  Should I put a hose or something up there for a while to check?

If you have no issues now, I suspect you will be okay.  Most of the problems didn't take long to surface.  I have an 08 and never had the issue but did have the recall service performed which was to extend the drain hoses I believe.  I would just check with the dealer on that one.

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
jb_lambda

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 02:28:38 PM »

Did you buy this from a dealership? If so, I'd be going back to them and b*tching.

I am not sure if this is a common problem or how the previous owner (a lease) could have not had this resolved before turning it in.

Well there's 2 sides to this. One the PO doesn't have to fix anything when he returns the lease, he just ends up paying for the deficiencies. The second side of this is some dealerships don't bother fixing the deficiencies unless the new owner notices them.  This gives them more money in pocket.

The other thing is, you've got warranty, so who cares, get it fixed. And you can ask to see the PO service records, this would tell you if it was a reoccuring issue.

Words to live by..

Buyer beware.

2008 GMC Acadia SLT2
sixathome
#1 Member of the "discontinued club"!
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 03:33:15 PM »

Your still under B2B so check it over with a fine toothed comb and have any/all issues fixed under warrenty. Your powertrain warrenty is good for 100K. Have them check for the timing chain cover leaking and trans leaking, these too will be under the powertrain warrenty  Undecided. Make sure the recalls have been done as well, your dealer will show any/all work that has been done.

2009' SATURN OUTLOOK 1XR FWD, SOLD
2013 Chevy Suburban 4X4 Crystal Red Tintcoat/Ebony
2005 VUE
2008 GMC SIERRA CREW Z71 Sonoma Red/Ebony cloth, LC9 BlackBear tuned
GeoHawk
Thread Killer
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

GeoHawk no function beer well without

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 03:53:37 PM »

Thanks!

I'm thinking new hatch struts will fix it as I haven't read of any problems so far with the lift motor.  As far as what else to bring up, there seems to be a few steering rack problems popping up recently.  Since it is such an expensive problem to fix out of warranty, that might be one area to look closely at prior to the warranty expiration.

Note: Duplicate threads merged.

2008 Acadia FWD SLT-2 Liquid Silver/Brick (Built 8/24/07 - Mine 9/7/07) - Waveplate Victim at 66,000 miles
2007 Silverado CC 4x4 LTZ 6.0L (Built 2/19/07 - Mine 2/28/07)
2009 G5 5-spd (Built 11/10/08 - Mine 7/10/12)
2014 Cruze 2LT 6-spd (Built 2/26/14 - Mine 3/22/14)
GeoHawk
Thread Killer
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

GeoHawk no function beer well without

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 03:59:10 PM »

Here's a list of the Acadia recalls with VIN breakpoints:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=185.msg56922#msg56922

2008 Acadia FWD SLT-2 Liquid Silver/Brick (Built 8/24/07 - Mine 9/7/07) - Waveplate Victim at 66,000 miles
2007 Silverado CC 4x4 LTZ 6.0L (Built 2/19/07 - Mine 2/28/07)
2009 G5 5-spd (Built 11/10/08 - Mine 7/10/12)
2014 Cruze 2LT 6-spd (Built 2/26/14 - Mine 3/22/14)
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 04:05:23 PM »

Here's a list of the Acadia recalls with VIN breakpoints:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=185.msg56922#msg56922

Forgot about the windshield wiper issue - that was a real PITA so make sure it's been done.

RyUIUC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 08:34:28 PM »

Thanks for the recall info, looks like only the windsheild wiper one will apply.  I will let you know how it goes with the rear hatch *fingers crossed*
Joeskady

5th GMC in a row since 1987, but who's counting...

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 12:56:30 PM »

Mine does the same thing, and it will karate-chop you in the neck if you're not careful!  I took my '08 Acadia in and my dealership ordered the necessary replacement part, but then never called to let me know they'd received it until year-end inventory in their parts department 3 months later... so I have yet to have the repair completed.  They're 30 miles away, and after such crappy service at Hardy GMC/Chevrolet, I'll probably go to a closer dealership for future needs.

My Kady: 7/29/08 SLT-1, Blue/Gold Mist, Titanium Leather, Lux Pkg, Sunroof, Tow Pkg, 19"
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories