Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
November 23, 2014, 03:21:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Acadia Sales Numbers:    Sept: 5,287      YTD Total: 62,013      All Time: 323,333  (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catalytic Converter (Check Engine Light) issues?  (Read 9333 times, 18 Replies)
markabes

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »

???Hi,
My first post, I love our Acadia but ran into a strange problem that I would be very interested in any feedback on.
I just took our 2009 SLT2 (18k miles) in for a check engine light and was told that 2 of the 3 catalytic converters had failed.  The dealer is now servicing it though do not have parts so it will be 2-3 days.   Perhaps coincidentally, I had also experienced a strange sound like a run on and loss of acceleration repeatedly after going up a short but steep hill and making a left turn on my street.
Has anyone heard of this before?  Seems strange to me that a catalytic converter would fail at all, let alone at 18k miles of generally easy conditions Northern California driving.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Mark
GeoHawk
Thread Killer
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

GeoHawk no function beer well without

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 05:22:36 PM »

First I've heard of something like this.  The loss of acceleration and run-on could be attributed to the converters failing.  It almost sounds like what used to happen when leaded fuel was used in a car w/ catalytic converters, back when leaded fuel was still around.  I'm stumped.  Someone didn't fill your tank with diesel, did they?   Undecided

08 Acadia FWD SLT-2 Liquid Silver/Brick, 105K miles (Built 8/24/07 - Mine 9/7/07) - Wave Plate Victim at 66,000 miles
07 Silverado CC 4x4 LTZ 6.0L, 220K miles (Built 2/19/07 - Mine 2/28/07)
09 G5 5-spd (Built 11/10/08 - Mine 7/10/12)
14 Cruze 2LT/RS 6-spd (Built 2/26/14 - Mine 3/22/14)
DeForger

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 07:17:11 PM »

If the cats were damaged someone might have added something to the fuel at the gas station or refinery. The mix might have been too much of an additive.

Bobby

2011 Acadia SLT-2 FWD/Cyber Gray/8 Pass/Ebony leather/Heated&cooled seats/Tech package/Rear DVD Entertainment/Trailering

2009 Acadia SLT-2 FWD/Silver green/8 pass/Ebony leather/Heated&cooled seats/HID/Rear DVD Entertainment/Trailering/VBS Advanced remote- GM repurchase
Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »

I didn't know the Acadia has 3 catalytic converters!

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
markabes

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 08:35:03 PM »

I do not think it is the gas though certainly that is possible as any station could do this.  We pretty much only use Chevron and Shell, buying at big stations near our house, and avoid the mom - n - pop stations.  But thanks for the question/suggestion.  I get the car back on Friday and will be interested to hear what they say.  I was interested to see from the forum if others have seen anything like this and if so what was done about it.  I was also suprised to learn it had 3 converters, would have guessed 2 max at 1 per tailpipe...
Mark
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 08:53:01 PM »

???Hi,
My first post, I love our Acadia but ran into a strange problem that I would be very interested in any feedback on.
I just took our 2009 SLT2 (18k miles) in for a check engine light and was told that 2 of the 3 catalytic converters had failed.  The dealer is now servicing it though do not have parts so it will be 2-3 days.   Perhaps coincidentally, I had also experienced a strange sound like a run on and loss of acceleration repeatedly after going up a short but steep hill and making a left turn on my street.
Has anyone heard of this before?  Seems strange to me that a catalytic converter would fail at all, let alone at 18k miles of generally easy conditions Northern California driving.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Mark

The loss of power is a classic symptom of a failing cat (not sure there's more than one).  I had one go bad on a Grand Prix a few years back and thought the tranny was failing. 18K way too soon for that to happen in any event- perhaps there is something else going on that could have caused it to fail.  I would ask the dealer to scan for any other codes

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
Speleos
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 09:18:48 PM »

gmpartsdirect.com only lists 2 cat. conv. (R & L)

Catalytic converter, acadia, enclave, traverse, right   
 2009  $442.86 $322.40 

Catalytic converter, acadia, enclave, traverse, left   
 2009  $442.86 $322.40 

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
1995 Chevy C-2500
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 11:41:07 PM »

???Hi,
Mark

What was your fuel level when this happened; if you can remember

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
markabes

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 04:47:12 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback on the right/left converter.  They were specific about 3 as I asked when they said that, I am planning to wait to hear what they say happend and the cause...

On the issue on the hill question and gas levels - we began seeing it about 4-5 days before the check engine light came on.  We had different levels of gas over that time, and it was reproducable 100% of the time.  Was a strange sound as mentioned, not sure why that combination of coming up to the top of a steep hill and turning left would trigger it but am hoping it was tied to the converters issue.

I'll be asking a lot of questions after the repair is done...

Mark
markabes

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 11:20:34 PM »

Hi all

Got the car back Friday and finally a chance to post.  the 2 front converters were replaced (there is a third) with no explanation as to why they failed, nor much concern about it.  My dealer does not even stock them and claimed no trend, which seems reasonable given no one else has posted this.  They did update the SW and all seems to be running fine now.  So hopeully this was something unusual and it will be the last we see of it...
Mark
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 06:54:39 AM »

Good to hear everything was resolved

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
Speleos
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 07:13:15 AM »

...  the 2 front converters were replaced (there is a third) ...

A catalytic converter to convert the already catalyzed!  That makes as much sense as restraining Gerber's strained carrots.   blob 

1995 Chevy C-2500
sixathome
#1 Member of the "discontinued club"!
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 08:05:02 AM »

If 2 were plugged it might have been a safe bet to just replace the 3rd  Huh?. Curious about how they failed though  confused.

2009' SATURN OUTLOOK 1XR FWD, SOLD
2013 Chevy Suburban 4X4 Crystal Red Tintcoat/Ebony
2005 VUE
2008 GMC SIERRA CREW Z71 Sonoma Red/Ebony cloth, LC9 BlackBear tuned
sckumaresan

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 06:07:57 AM »

Hello,
I just stumbled upon this forum while checking for the problems with my GMC Acadia (2012). I was stunned to see exactly the same problem that my car is undergoing right now. As of this moment my car is in the garage undergoing total replacement of the catalytic converter (thank god the car is still under warranty!). The problem started when the engine light came on while driving last week and i took it to the only service center in Doha, Qatar. They said its an issue with the sensor and changed the sensor, but last Thursday the while driving again the engine lights came on and so took it back to the service station again on Sunday the 27 October, 2013. I was told that the catalytic converter has to be changed and hopefully I will get my car latter this evening, as promised. I had the same issues described by others in this forum and hopefully be resolved completely!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed!
GMC Customer Service
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 08:38:28 AM »

Please keep us posted on the repairs!  I hope everything is resolved quickly for you.

Jessica
GMC Customer Care

Hello,
I just stumbled upon this forum while checking for the problems with my GMC Acadia (2012). I was stunned to see exactly the same problem that my car is undergoing right now. As of this moment my car is in the garage undergoing total replacement of the catalytic converter (thank god the car is still under warranty!). The problem started when the engine light came on while driving last week and i took it to the only service center in Doha, Qatar. They said its an issue with the sensor and changed the sensor, but last Thursday the while driving again the engine lights came on and so took it back to the service station again on Sunday the 27 October, 2013. I was told that the catalytic converter has to be changed and hopefully I will get my car latter this evening, as promised. I had the same issues described by others in this forum and hopefully be resolved completely!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed!
BrianJC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 10:03:12 AM »

We've got a 2012 Acadia as well and for the last week we've had a check engine light.  OnStar stated that it was something with a sensor and for us to drive 1 hour at highway speeds or have it serviced.  We choose not to waste our $4 gas on a 1 hour test to see if it went away.  The dealership just called and they stated that it was the catalytic converter that needs replaced.  We've only had the vehicle for about 1.5 years from new.  This is very surprising.  We also had an issue where water was coming into the floor boards of both front seats.  Turned out that GM failed to seal the top part of our windshield and water was leaking in the roof and going down the drains.  For the most part we've been very happy with the vehicle but it is silly things like this that are a real pain.
GMC Customer Service
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 05:41:18 PM »

Hello BrianJC,

I understand unexpected vehicle concerns are disheartening and I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. I am glad you were able to work with your dealership towards resolving your vehicle issue. If you would like to further discuss your situation or any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to send me a private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
GMC Customer Care
73Sprint

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 01:14:25 PM »

You can buy converters for a 2008 Acadia from "Rock Auto".
I am in Canada and to buy and ship them to me came to $501.00  for a pair delivered to my door.
I have found that if a part costs $150 here, Rock Auto has it for $50 plus shipping. If I have time to wait for a part, I always but from them.
Oil vapor from the valve cover goes back in the system an collects in the cats until they are plugged. Way back when before computer controls, we were able to cut out the converter and put in a straight piece of pipe.

Oh ya, as for the 3 converters, I think there is only 2 and a muffler on 2008 year.
rloyola26

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 06:13:32 PM »

I have a 2009 Acadia at just a tad over 83k. Two weeks ago while merging onto the interstate, I was pressing on the gas petal and my car wasn't picking up speed but my rpm went up to 5. Before when this happened, the GM dealership told me to switch to low gear, and push the plus sign (on the shift) up to 6. (I have done this many times and its worked in the past) however, this time It was not doing anything. I lost power while driving on the interstate!!! I had to pull on the shoulder(with no power steering!) ugh! I was told it was the fuel control module, so I purchased that from the GM dealer by my house. After getting this part put on, I was then told It needed to be "re-programmed" ARE YOU KIDDING ME!  why on earth did the GM parts guy that sold this to me NOT tell me this?Huh? According to the Service Mgr, parts guys don't know if a part has to be programmed or not. They just sell parts!!! By this time I am one angry woman. After I paid to have this part programmed, what do you know, the car still would NOT start. Had it towed to the GM dealership. The service guy said that "because the car was misfiring due to coils & plugs that sent unburned fuel into the converters, the converters were ruined" so the car needed all coils, plugs & catalytic converters replaced. And also the computer would have to be re-programmed. For a grand total over 4600!!! this is just crazy. Aggravated, I got the car towed home again. When the tow driver was taking my car down, he started it up (first time i heard that in over 2 weeks) and pulled it in my driveway. I immediately called my father, he looked under the car and saw that they loosened the pipe. My father(a diesel mechanic) but hates to work on cars, ha ha, said maybe all it needed was the converters replaced. I don't know what to think at this point! Who is responsible for this? the dealership? GM? I've read a bunch of things about loosing power, catalytic converters, and numerous other things about this vehicle. I have tired to call the number 888-gmcares, but that number is forever busy! At this point I will NEVER buy another GMC vehicle again. Makes me miss my Nissan! Someone help!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories