Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
October 02, 2014, 12:29:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 09 trailer lights  (Read 5045 times, 25 Replies)
blizzard100

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2009, 06:01:34 PM »

I have a 2009 acadia . I put a hitch and wiring harness on from etrailer. My problem is all lights come on at first then one light goes out on the trailer. Then when I try the turn signals they dont work!! My acadia turn signals work still.
Anyone know why this happens, Am I missing something????Help please.
Murdock
Acadia Freak

Acadia Aficionado

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 06:05:52 PM »

I have wired several trailers & hitches and most of the time when mine would not work correctly it was because I didn't have good grounds. Make sure the grounds are on Metal and free of paint and grease.

2009 Acadia SLT-1 built 07/31/08, DLT, FWD, Summit White, titanium, 7 seater, leather, heated; purchased 06/09 no HUD, no HID, no factory Nav, no S.Roof. 18" wheels, Bose system. Pennsoil Platinum & PF63. Trans flash, water pump, seat rails & steering gear replaced, PS flush & refill with DEX VI.
caperpower

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:33:23 PM »

I have wired several trailers & hitches and most of the time when mine would not work correctly it was because I didn't have good grounds. Make sure the grounds are on Metal and free of paint and grease.

Ditto

2010 slt-1 awd, carbon black, 7-psgr, sunroof, rear camera, dvd, pwr. lift gate, remote start, tow pkg., light titanium leather...and loving it!!
blizzard100

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 07:07:10 PM »

I will start there then thank's
Quantum

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »

Are there any separate relays for the trailer?  I know on the pickup trucks, there are extra fuses and relays that need to be installed.

2010 Traverse 1LT, built 3/10 in Lansing MI.  Cyber Grey, FWD, Tow Package, Remote Start, 7 passenger.

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
JLF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 10:56:59 AM »

I've got an 07, so I don't know if they changed the way it comes without the towing package or not.  I had to change the fuse block and wiring behind the right wheel well to the rear for mine to work.  I would get a test light, disconnect the trailer connector, turn on the turn signals and make sure the test light blinks just to be sure you have power at the connector to power the trailer lights.

2007 Acadia SLT, Carbon Metallic
97 GMC Dually
67 Mustang
65 Olds F85 drag car
rbarrios
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 11:32:30 AM »

from what Ive read.....
vehicles equipped with the factory tow package- have their own fused connections for the trailer wiring.

Im wondering if simply tapping into the lights is causing trouble...
The Acadias lights in the rear are LED correct?
I wonder if by tapping in to the circuit- its causing some kind of trouble?

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 11:53:49 AM »

from what Ive read.....
vehicles equipped with the factory tow package- have their own fused connections for the trailer wiring.

Im wondering if simply tapping into the lights is causing trouble...
The Acadias lights in the rear are LED correct?
I wonder if by tapping in to the circuit- its causing some kind of trouble?

From what I've read from trailering posts; tapping into the tail light LED's in not advisable

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
Quantum

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 01:41:40 PM »

Judging by the OP:  "I put a hitch and wiring harness on from etrailer"

I think that he didn't order the tow package.  So quite possibly missing the extra fuses.  Tapping into LED lights is never a good idea.  Those LEDs have small circuits in them to make them work on 12VDC.  I would suggest a dedicated wire run for the trailer.

Regards,

2010 Traverse 1LT, built 3/10 in Lansing MI.  Cyber Grey, FWD, Tow Package, Remote Start, 7 passenger.

FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 01:55:35 PM »

Judging by the OP:  "I put a hitch and wiring harness on from etrailer"

I think that he didn't order the tow package.  So quite possibly missing the extra fuses.  Tapping into LED lights is never a good idea.  Those LEDs have small circuits in them to make them work on 12VDC.  I would suggest a dedicated wire run for the trailer.

Regards,

I agree; this vehicle is very particular when you start messing with towing and power; I hate to say it but if you don't have V92 installed from the factory you are going to have to shell out some money for a proper install.  JLF noted earlier that he installed the correct fuse box to make everything correct

DeForger

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 07:49:23 PM »

I agree; this vehicle is very particular when you start messing with towing and power; I hate to say it but if you don't have V92 installed from the factory you are going to have to shell out some money for a proper install.  JLF noted earlier that he installed the correct fuse box to make everything correct

Don't forget with the V92 trailering package you also get the tow/haul mode for the transmission. Well worth the money. If the vehicle doesn't have it let the dealer worry about installing it before you buy it!

Bobby

2011 Acadia SLT-2 FWD/Cyber Gray/8 Pass/Ebony leather/Heated&cooled seats/Tech package/Rear DVD Entertainment/Trailering

2009 Acadia SLT-2 FWD/Silver green/8 pass/Ebony leather/Heated&cooled seats/HID/Rear DVD Entertainment/Trailering/VBS Advanced remote- GM repurchase
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 08:13:42 PM »

Don't forget with the V92 trailering package you also get the tow/haul mode for the transmission. Well worth the money. If the vehicle doesn't have it let the dealer worry about installing it before you buy it!

Bobby

Good point

rbarrios
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 12:12:05 AM »

also V92 - when you press the tow button- it changes the way the alternators charges. (this is done to charge the battery in the item you may be towing)

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 06:08:48 AM »

also V92 - when you press the tow button- it changes the way the alternators charges. (this is done to charge the battery in the item you may be towing)

Really?

DeForger

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 09:55:24 AM »

I didn't know it changed the charging rate.

Bobby

2011 Acadia SLT-2 FWD/Cyber Gray/8 Pass/Ebony leather/Heated&cooled seats/Tech package/Rear DVD Entertainment/Trailering

2009 Acadia SLT-2 FWD/Silver green/8 pass/Ebony leather/Heated&cooled seats/HID/Rear DVD Entertainment/Trailering/VBS Advanced remote- GM repurchase
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 09:59:19 AM »

So if I'm towing another vehicle it will charge the battery on that vehicle?  Anyone else heard of this (no offense barrios); I think this is an interesting fact seeing as how this has never come up before

Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »

So if I'm towing another vehicle it will charge the battery on that vehicle?  Anyone else heard of this (no offense barrios); I think this is an interesting fact seeing as how this has never come up before

There is a battery and charging circuit on an electrical, break-away braking system.  I don't know of any camping trailers with electric supply batteries that are charged by the tow vehicle.

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
Quantum

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 10:52:59 AM »

I don't know if pushing the tow/haul button would change the charging rate or not.  

I do believe that plugging the trailer into the electrical plug on the back of the vehicle will cause the alternator to change its charging rate.  That is because you are now putting another battery in parallel with the vehicle battery.  When the two are in parallel, the batteries will want to equal out (ie: if the vehicle battery is charging at 14.3V, and the trailer battery is at 12.2V, as soon as you plug it into the vehicle the output (current) of the alternator will go up to charge the trailer battery to 14.3V).  

The other reason I don't *think* that the tow/haul button changes the alternator output is because if you push the button without having a trailer hooked up, what is the point of the alternator changing its output?  It would just overcharge the vehicle battery.

These are just my own thoughts off the top of my head.  I've been known to be wrong.

Regards,

Quantum

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 10:57:51 AM »

There is a battery and charging circuit on an electrical, break-away braking system.  I don't know of any camping trailers with electric supply batteries that are charged by the tow vehicle.

I'm not sure if I follow your post.  *Most* RV's have electric brakes.  The break-away system uses the trailer battery (which is charged by the vehicle battery *while the vehicle is running*.  That way, when the trailer breaks-away, the electric brakes are powered by the trailer. 

I know by experience that on my dad's F-350 pickup, when you plug in the electrical of the trailer into the truck, it will only charge when the vehicle is running.  That way you can't drain you vehicle battery when you are dry camping with the electrical connected between the two vehicles.  I assume that all the manufacturers do this, because all it requires is a simple relay.

Regards,

Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 12:12:56 PM »

That's essentially what I was talking about Quantum.  The break-away system has it's own battery.  In actuality, the charging system for the break-away remains active when the trailer is hitched to the vehicle.  The break-away also has its own voltage regulator to prevent overcharging of that battery and cuts off any demand from the tow vehicle when the battery reaches a fully-charged state.  On my tow vehicle, power to the break-away is supplied by the electric brake controller using the same circuit that lights an LED indicating the trailer is plugged in properly.  That circuit is 'hot' all the while the trailer is hitched.  Besides, it's such a small battery and is used so seldom (one hopes) that the charger, when operating, creates little draw to the tow vehicle's electrical system.

Charging 'coach' batteries on a towed vehicle is another animal altogther.  I believe that is controlled by diodes in the trailer's elecrical system and is independent of the type of tow vehicle.  The diodes would allow the tow vehicle to charge that system but would also prevent a draw on the tow vehicle battery when the coach batteries run low if your camped with the vehicles hitched.

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories