Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
October 23, 2014, 01:07:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Acadia Sales Numbers:    Sept: 5,287      YTD Total: 62,013      All Time: 323,333  (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello does anyone know how to remove the rear wiper arm?  (Read 14368 times, 9 Replies)
JediJay

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2009, 02:12:17 PM »

Hi I have a 2009 SLT2 (I guess is two its fully equipped)..

anyway I just noticed a few weeks after taking her in for an oil change that my rear wiper arm has broken off at the a hinge.

So I ordered the arm and wiper.. I then removed the nut from in front of the arm but for the life of my cannot remove the old arm..!!

it seems as if its fused to the actual bolt..-when I move he arm the bolt is on moves.

I've applied Wd-40 to try and loosen it up, and looking at the replacement part, the slot where the arm attached to the bolt is just a smooth metal cylinder.

I'll probably have to take it back to the dealership to remove the old one and put the new one on.. but I would like to do it myself

any ideas?
Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 03:20:09 PM »

Bite the bullet and take it to someone with the proper tools!  If you're not real careful, you could risk breaking the back glass.  It'll be worth the $ to have it done.

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
teetertotter
Acadia Freak

Family, NRA .22 Rifle Comp, Golf, USAF Veteran

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 05:24:32 PM »

If you bought new, take it back to the dealer and ask your sales person for some help in working with the service mgr to see how can be done under warranty if you are under 36,000.  Maybe can write up as faulty hinge pin from factory?   Anythings worth a try.   If sales person has been with the dealer any length of time, they sometimes can do wonders, or have it done at cost.  Worked for me in past with Ford 3-1/2 years ago.  Don't ask, you won't ever know.   

Oct 2014: 14', SLT-1, FWD, Silver #30,
NAV w Intellilink, + more stuff
Tier 1 gasoline, Pennzoil PP, www.glare.com
[07 Acadia & 12 Terrain: Traded]                 
robindcs

JD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 11:16:09 AM »

The same problem was experienced with my SLT2. The wiper arm hinge broke when it was lifted about half an inch to clean the window. It was very cold and the hinge snapped.
I called the dealer who did not have the part in stock but receved it overnite and it was replaced on warranty the next day. I was on vacation in Maine and had no connection with this dealer, a very pleasant experience. I watched the repair and they simply used a "gear puller" to remove the arm from the shaft, a two second operation.

2008,SLT2,AWD,7PGR,DiaWhite,Titanium,Nav,SR,HID,
HUD,Trailering prov,Convenience pkg, Cargo Pkg, and 19" Wheels.    Build date 17AUG07
2006 Subaru Tribeca B9 AWD Base model.
lcolson

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 02:31:13 PM »

Take it to the Dealer. We had the dealer replace our back wiper and they BROKE it themselves. At least they repaired it. I could not figure out how to remove it myself. At least when they break it, they fix it at no additional cost to you.
twoseas

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 09:21:41 PM »

I tried pulling back on the wiper arm when I was wiping the glass after a wash and It felt like it would not bend at the hinge more than an inch.

Is this the case...the arm is not designed to move but far enough to wipe between the arm and the glass ??

Thanks,

2010 SLT-1 Quicksilver Metallic FWD; Silver Acadia Club Member #13
2004 Lariat Ford F-250 Gray Metallic 6.0 Liter Power Stroke
2005 Crossroads Cruiser Fifth Wheel RV
2006 Harley Davidson Black Pearl Road King Classic
robindcs

JD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:07:31 PM »

Yes this is the case. The wiper blade arm does not lift more than about one inch before breaking, especially if it is cold.
The blade arm can be removed easily with a small gear puller. Bang Head

2008,SLT2,AWD,7PGR,DiaWhite,Titanium,Nav,SR,HID,
HUD,Trailering prov,Convenience pkg, Cargo Pkg, and 19" Wheels.    Build date 17AUG07
2006 Subaru Tribeca B9 AWD Base model.
twoseas

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 06:07:41 PM »

Yes this is the case. The wiper blade arm does not lift more than about one inch before breaking, especially if it is cold.
The blade arm can be removed easily with a small gear puller. Bang Head

Rob,

Thanks for the reply...not the best design i've seen...oh well, we just got to live with it.

Ray

2010 SLT-1 Quicksilver Metallic FWD; Silver Acadia Club Member #13
2004 Lariat Ford F-250 Gray Metallic 6.0 Liter Power Stroke
2005 Crossroads Cruiser Fifth Wheel RV
2006 Harley Davidson Black Pearl Road King Classic
Arctic Man

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 02:41:23 AM »

Yes. I had a problem with my 2009 rear wiper arm getting broken and had to remove it. This is how you fix it -

Use a gear puller and it will pull the old wiper arm base off of the stud bolt easily. A gear puller has two adjustable arms and a center threaded screw. Remove the nut from the stud that holds the wiper arm on using a 1/2" end wrench. Once that is done, get the gear puller. You cannot pry the wiper blad base off of the stud bolt without a gear puller or without breaking something else. Put the gear puller arms on the plastic hub around the stud bolt, tighten the screw on center of the gear puller until the old wiper base pulls free. It will pop right off. Once that is done, undo the rubber hose from the grommet (pull it out of the rubber grommet that it's in) and remove the old base.

Put the new rubber wiper blade on the new arm before you try to reinstall the new arm. The new wiper blade (that must be purchase separately) snaps in to place on the new wiper arm. Use Channel Locks to snap it in to place as it takes a lot of force. Once you snap it in to place, it will stay there permanently. Now place the new wiper arm base on the threaded wiper stud, set the level of the wiper parallel with the bottom of the window, and screw the nut back in to place using the 1/2" end wrench and tighten until snug. Route the hose around the bottom of the assembly and push it firmly in to the grommet to seal it up. Snap the wiper arm base cover back in to place over the nut making sure not to pinch the hose, and you're done. This whole replacement with the correct tools will take less than 15 minutes.
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 07:30:38 AM »

Quite an old thread, but thanks for your input  thumbs up

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to: