Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
September 02, 2014, 10:05:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Acadia? Check out the all new GMC Terrain at http://www.TerrainForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: installing roof rack crossrails on acadia  (Read 9733 times, 14 Replies)
iamdragonrider

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:02:09 PM »

my new acadia will have everything but the cross rails, which the dealer said they could add them for $300, plus $95 installation, but he'd bring that down to $20.  which seemed still seemed a little pricey to me for two little bars of metal.  I googled an old discussion yesterday which I couldn't find today where folks got the rails from thier dealers for around $160.  When I quoted this price back to the sales man, he said the installed list fee straight from GM website was $261.  When I asked him how hard they were to install he said there is a little hole that requires a special tool and there are special grooves and he made it sound very tedious, but from what I remeber of the discussion, the folks transporting thier bikes and kayaks had little trouble taking the bars on and off with ease. 

So has anyone installed the GM crossbars themselves?  Are they fairly easy to install?  I found a seller on ebay selling them for $166 plus shipping, and if they aren't hard to install, it will save me a lot of money then if I buy them from the dealer.
kantkwit

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 11:50:13 PM »

They are not a problem. No special tools required. I bought a pair for my '07 and installed them myself. When I traded for the '09, I kept them and put them on the '09 by myself. Plenty of help on this forum for getting the roof rack trim off and getting the crossbars on.

'09 SLT-2 AWD, Red Jewel, Ebony Int, NAV, Rear Entertainment, Sunroofs, Capt Chairs, HID, HUD, Trailering, RV022s
'07 SIERRA SLE2 4X4, Ext Cab, Deep Blue Metallic, Z71
'09 Polaris Ranger 700 XP
sandman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 02:03:25 AM »

this link should help:
  http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=491.0

AWD SLT-2: Sunroof, Runningboards, rear seat DVD, crossrails, flowmaster and magnaflow mufflers. Bought in January 07.
iamdragonrider

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »

Thank you, I'm really not happy that the dealer has tried to charge me the part price, plus the factory installed price, plus the shop installation fee, and then tried to make it sound like they were offering me a discount on the fee and that I should let them put them in because installing the rails was really hard to do, which is why I should let them put the rails in for me.  With the info you've given me I feel much more confortable in letting the dealer keep his rails and double installation fees, since even after showing him the link to the ad in ebay i've been having trouble talking down the price.  (And I supposedly qualify for "supplier" pricing because I have family members as GM employees so really I think I should be getting the part for the supplier price)
Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 11:18:50 AM »

2009's install differently than earlier models (2007 & 2008).

2009 GMC Acadia SLE, FWD.              
Quicksilver/Titanium, Convenience/     
Preferred/Visibility/Trailering.
SAC Member
iamdragonrider

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 11:23:12 AM »

Does anyone know how the 2009 installs?
Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 11:34:35 AM »

Does anyone know how the 2009 installs?

I should elaborate here.
Some 2009's install like the 2007 and 2008's.
Those that were early 2009 models like mine.
Mine was built in August of 2008, and I have some left over 2008 options;
for example I have the heated washers, the 4500 lbs tow capacity, and the
2008 side rails.

Later 2009 models have a slightly different way to remove the side rail covers.
The cross bars mount the same on all year models, it is just the way you remove the decorative cover
for installing the cross bars.
I'll keep searching for the thread for the info.

SAC Member
Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 11:47:11 AM »

This thread will help.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=5417.msg69092#msg69092

SAC Member
cb60

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 01:17:09 PM »

My DEALER had never installed the cross rails & it took them more than 90 mins to install! $85 later, but work great with my Yakama Skybox.

2009 Acadia SLE AWD ( Carbon Black, Preferred & Visability Packages, 7 passenger seating)

2002 Mini Cooper S ( JCW engine, brake & suspension upgrades)
tbandso

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 05:17:46 PM »

Thanks all the posts - I got the rail cover off all-right.  But I can't get the front rail to fit.  It is too long.  The back one is the right width.   Any clues as to what I am doing wrong.  Mine is a 2008 Acadia.
Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »

It should be adjustable, one side should slide in and out to change the width
of the cross bar.  Maybe it is stuck, it should move freely.

SAC Member
kantkwit

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 06:58:59 PM »

The front one is longer than the back. You need to install the slides before you attach the crossrail to the slide.

'09 SLT-2 AWD, Red Jewel, Ebony Int, NAV, Rear Entertainment, Sunroofs, Capt Chairs, HID, HUD, Trailering, RV022s
'07 SIERRA SLE2 4X4, Ext Cab, Deep Blue Metallic, Z71
'09 Polaris Ranger 700 XP
tbandso

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 07:44:22 PM »

I ran into a different problem.  The dealer ordered me part # 12499978.  These were to wide.  The correct part # is 12499868.  They could not tell me what 12499978 went to.  The differences were: 1) cross-rails were wider by about 2.5"   2) the top cover piece was chrome (plastic) and did not extend over the factory rails running down the car. 

Thanks for everyone's help. 

Any advice on cargo boxes?  I think I am going to get the Yakima Skybox 16. 

Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 10:33:27 AM »

I ran into a different problem.  The dealer ordered me part # 12499978.  These were to wide.  The correct part # is 12499868.  They could not tell me what 12499978 went to.  The differences were: 1) cross-rails were wider by about 2.5"   2) the top cover piece was chrome (plastic) and did not extend over the factory rails running down the car. 

Thanks for everyone's help. 

Any advice on cargo boxes?  I think I am going to get the Yakima Skybox 16. 

Make sure it is not too wide for the cross rails, other wise the main thing
to consider is the ease of mounting.  Make sure you get someting with an easy latching mechanisim.

SAC Member
nnstahl

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »

We bought the factory GM crossrails $189 plus tax from the GMC dealer after talking with Yakima support who recommended we not buy Yakima but factory.  My husband installed them on our 2009 Acadia SLT2 using the instructions provided in the box.  We then bought the Yakima skybox pro 16s titanium from Amazon for $560 with no freight charges and mounted it to the cross rails.  The cross rails are recommended to support 200 lbs and the Yakima box weighs 47 lbs.  It seems to fit well and we will be loading it up soon for a trip.  See the picture below.

Update:
We were able to put 2 medium suitcases and a small suitcase in the Skybox along with beach towels and a couple of small tote bags for our trip to Florida.  This enabled 4 adults and 2 children to go on vacation together.  Of course we also had the area behind the back seats completly packed.  We could not have packed for this trip without the Skybox.  We were able to mount it without it touching or interfering with the antenna.
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories