Let's Vent! Here's the post to do just that!

<< < (43/135) > >>

GeoHawk:
Quote from: BOBBO on June 24, 2009, 10:16:41 PM

The post from speleos earlier in this thread, concerning the government people sent to rescue the auto makers but didn't know what the term "laws of physics" means, gave me great delight and I forwarded it to several friends.  One of them just replied with the suggestion that I look up this:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/physics.asp

The snopes.com site has been suspect for some time when it comes to anything involving the U.S. political scene, but until I learn otherwise I'll accept this one at face value.

Nice catch BOBBO.   :thumb:

While the story doesn't appear to have been a true encounter, it is entirely believeable as the party currently in power has this frighteningly utopian view that more government control is the answer to all our problems.  By no means do the Democrats have a monopoly on retarded ideas, though, but they are running the show as of now.  Mr. Cole's statement that he did have a discussion a number of years ago with congressmen who thought they should pass a new 2nd law of thermodynamics only magnifies the ignorance of our elected "leaders". 

Blue_2009_SLT2:
Forget about North Korea! The true threat to our lifestyle and economic well being is.... TPC (The Phone Company)!  :angryfire:

I was paying bills this morning & noticed our "fixed rate" phone service had changed yet again:
January: $60.80
February: $62.41
March: $62.41
April: $62.72
May: $61.11
June: $64.33

We pay $29.95 for basic service, $3.00 for local optional service, and $15.00 for long distance each month. The variation arises in the $13.20 to $16.38 in taxes and surcharges each month. BTW, statistically, the first three total a recurring $47.95. Even the lowest tax/surcharge amount of $13.20 is 27% of the total. At least it's not 34% like my income tax- oh wait, at $16.38, it is!  :o

The taxes & surcharges pages occupy 25% of the pages of my monthly bill.

Each and every month, we along with everyone else with a phone line pays:
Local and Optional Services Taxes and Surcharges
Government Fees and Taxes
Emergency 911 Surcharge .50
This surcharge aids in supporting Emergency 911 services in your area.
Federal Tax 1.07
Tax imposed by the federal government on telecommunications services.
Local Comm. Services Tax .71
Communications services tax levied by the governing authority of each municipality and county.
State Comm. Services Tax 1.02
Communications services tax levied by the state.
Telecommunications relay surcharge .11
Funds the telecommunications relay center which assists hearing and speech impaired individuals in communicating with others.
Total Local and Optional Services Government Fees and Taxes $3.41

Surcharges and Fees
Interstate access surcharge 6.42
This charge recovers part of the costs of local facilities used for interstate calling.
Federal universal service fund .73
The Universal Service Fund helps keep local service rates affordable to all and provides discounts on services to schools, libraries and low-income families. <--- Telephone welfare #1
Non-Telecom Services Surcharge 1.55 §
The Non-Telecom Services Surcharge is imposed by EMBARQ on certain non-telecommunication services, including EMBARQ® Voicemail and Lineguard services.
Non-Telecom Services Surcharge 1.55 §
Total Local and Optional Services Surcharges and Fees $8.70

Long Distance Taxes and Surcharges
Government Fees and Taxes
FL Communications Service Tax .41
Communications services tax levied by the state.
Local Communications Service Tax .28
Communications services tax levied by the governing authority of each municipality and county.
Total Long Distance Government Fees and Taxes: $.69

Surcharges and Fees
Carrier Universal Service Charge 1.04
The Federal Universal Service Fund helps keep local service rates affordable to all and provides discounts on services to schools, libraries and low-income families.<--- Telephone welfare #2

Surcharges and Fees
Carrier Cost Recovery Charge .99
Total Long Distance Surcharges and Fees: $2.03
Total Long Distance Taxes and Surcharges $2.72

Is it any wonder why I support the FairTax?

I called to complain again1 and was told they forgot to add in the "Non-Telecom Services Surcharge" last month, so it was added this month. I tried to find out otherwise why the amount varied each month, and was put on hold. A short while later, another rep came on the line and needed my account info all over again. I told them it was not worth my time to go through this again and I hung up.

If it was feasible for us to do so, we'd do away with the "service" and just use a cell phone. Unfortunately, being in an electronic black hole, cell phones don't work so well inside the house, and you can't send a fax easily.

1We have really crappy phone service. When the line was installed, it was not buried properly (deep enough) and when the driveway was being graded, it was cut. A splice was installed that worked for a while. Before long, we had static all the time. Another repair and another and another and finally a new line was trenched in and a junction box added. That was OK until this past weekend when the static returned for a couple of days and then mysteriously went away.

Along the way, they tried to sell us DSL Internet. From my knowledge of how this works, we're too far away from the central office, but the rep insisted it would work. It didn't- and cut out our service for several days and the line quality was even worse when it was "fixed". They had to replace a line out at the road or something similar.

Speleos:
 If George Bush......

If George W. Bush had made a joke at the expense of the Special Olympics, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had given Gordon Brown a set of inexpensive and incorrectly formatted DVDs, when Gordon Brown had given him a thoughtful and historically significant gift, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had given the Queen of England an iPod containing videos of his speeches, would you have thought this embarrassingly narcissistic and tacky?

If George W. Bush had bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had visited Austria and made reference to the non-existent "Austrian language," would you have brushed it off as a minor slip?

If George W. Bush had filled his cabinet and circle of advisers with people who cannot seem to keep current on their income taxes, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had been so Spanish illiterate as to refer to*Cinco de Cuatro* in front of the Mexican ambassador when it was the fourth of May (Cuatro de Mayo), and continued to flub it when he tried again, would you have winced in embarrassment?

If George W. Bush had mis-spelled the word advice would you have hammered him for it for years like Dan Quayle and potatoe as*proof* of what a dunce he is?

If George W. Bush had burned 9,000 gallons of jet fuel to go plant asingle tree on *Earth Day*, would you have concluded he*s a hypocrite?

If George W. Bush*s administration had okayed Air Force One flying low over millions of people followed by a jet fighter in downtown Manhattan causing widespread panic, would you have wondered whether they actually *get* what happened on 9-11?

If George W. Bush had been the first President to need a teleprompter installed to be able to get through a press conference, would you have laughed and said this is more proof of how he is inept he is on his own and is really controlled by smarter men behind the scenes?

If George W. Bush had failed to send relief aid to flood victims throughout the Midwest with more people killed or made homeless than in New Orleans , would you want it made into a major ongoing political issue with claims of racism and incompetence?

If George W. Bush had ordered the firing of the CEO of a major corporation, even though he had no constitutional authority to do so, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had proposed to double the national debt, which had taken more than two centuries to accumulate, in one year, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had then proposed to double the debt again within 10 years, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had reduced your retirement plan*s holdings of GM stock by 90% and given the unions a majority stake in GM, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to take Laura Bush to a play in NYC, would you have approved?

So, tell me again, what is it about Obama that makes him so brilliant and impressive?  Can't think of anything?  Don't worry. He's done all this in 5 months -- so you'll have three years and seven months to come up with an answer.

Irish:
 :ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

I'm with you on that one!

FORUM GM:
Interesting

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page