Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
October 31, 2014, 07:57:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! More info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NAVIGATION LOCKOUT BYPASS for about $3 bucks- STEP BY STEP WITH PICTURES  (Read 85164 times, 119 Replies)
cv573

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:36:51 AM »

We just purchased a 2008 Acadia last week, and it is very annoying that the passenger cannot enter an address while the car is moving. I have heard of the products from coastaletech, but I assume if this is installed it will void the mfg warranty on the Nav system. I have  searched the internet, and I have found on the chevy and corvette forums, that there is a secret DIAG, or someway to get to "temporarily" disable the NAV issue. Has anyone had any success beyond using an aftermarket product to fix the NAV issue?

Thanks

Chris

2008 SLT-2 AWD/ Blue-Gold Metallic/Lt. Titanium/ 18" Whls/ DVD / NAV / Dual Sunscape/ HUD/ 2-2-3 

Member #12 SLT-2 Club
 Member #6 Blue/Gold Acadia Club
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:00:10 AM »

Blue/Gold-my favorite color  thumbs up!  Anyway obviously the system is set up so that you can't enter stuff while driving, but I'm not sure "fooling" the system will void your warranty.

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
Blue_2009_SLT2
Lobbying for liberty
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

Fleet HQ & our combined fleet...

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:35:25 AM »

The use of aftermarket devices and voiding of warranties is a popular topic. The law that covers this situation from what I have read is the Magnuson-Moss act. In effect, the burden of proof is on the car maker to show that the aftermarket device caused the problem.

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[1] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions[2], and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

See also:
http://www.pt-tuning.com/policies/Magn-Moss-Act.html

The Coastaltech device has been used in many radios w/o causing any problems, so I don't see where it would be a problem. I have one for my Dodge & really like it. In any event, they are easily removable if you are concerned about a warranty issue.

I'm not aware of any other way to trick the system into allowing input while in motion.

My name is Blue_2009_SLT2
Moderator of the Forum of the Acadia
Retired member of the Law Enforcement Legions
Loyal servant to the forum admin
Husband to a murdered Constitution, father to a murdered income
And I will have my vengeance... in this election and the next.
cv573

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 03:58:28 PM »

Thanks for the help... I will look into the products from coastaletech.

This is the trick I found on the web from a different site. I haven't been able to get it to work.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/118939-srx-solution-unlock-navigation-while-driving.html

2008 SLT-2 AWD/ Blue-Gold Metallic/Lt. Titanium/ 18" Whls/ DVD / NAV / Dual Sunscape/ HUD/ 2-2-3 

Member #12 SLT-2 Club
 Member #6 Blue/Gold Acadia Club
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 04:38:21 PM »

Thanks for the help... I will look into the products from coastaletech.

This is the trick I found on the web from a different site. I haven't been able to get it to work.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/118939-srx-solution-unlock-navigation-while-driving.html

That "work around" was posted in 07; has anyone else tried this; I don't have NAV but I would like to know if this glitch is valid

Blue_2009_SLT2
Lobbying for liberty
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 05:17:20 PM »

I read through that entire Cadillac thread, the nav units they were doing this on were circa 2004, some 2005 and one 2006. As far as I know, these are a different model than what is in the Lambda vehicle we drive.

Seems like the trick would be to hit up someone with a programmer at a dealer & have them unlock it for you*. You'd probably need to cultivate a relationship first, as the big L (liability) would pop up if anyone found out about it.

* Figuring this feature is programmable via software, which I don't know for sure.

Blue_2009_SLT2
Lobbying for liberty
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 06:09:06 PM »

As an update, I did some searching on this topic and from what I've read the programmer (Tech 2) cannot activate the nav or DVD in motion features. At this point, it is a Lockpick or similar device.

br1522

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 06:22:08 PM »

(Please be patient, there are alot of pictures)

I have a 2008 Acadia SLT-2 with factory navigation, dvd player, radio, back up camera, etc.  I wanted something cheap & simple to use that will allow my passenger to enter addresses while moving. 

I looked into other electronic add on alternatives but they had many features that I did not need.  I simply do not need the ability for me or the passenger see the dvd while moving, or use the back up camera when not in reverse or have extra cameras, etc.  I also wanted something very simple to use as my wife and our parents who are in their 60's use my car from time to time.  They simply would not remember which button to hit, how many times they need to hit it or any other sequence of buttons to get it to work. 

I decided to install a simple on/off switch I got from Radio Shack for $2.99 plus tax to the nav's vehicle speed sensor to trick the nav into believing that the car was not moving.  This allowed me to enter addresses and bypass the nav lockout at any speed.  This is the switch I got: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062523

My inspiration came from this mod I found for corvettes:  http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm

Step 1: remove the radio trim

Step 2: remove the 4 bolts holding the radio with a 7mm socket and slide the radio out slightly.

Step 3: The VSS wire is located in the brown radio connector closest to the driver's side.  It is the green/white wire at the 5th "slot".  I simply cut the wire and spliced 2 additional pieces of wire that end up going to the switch.  Run the new wires down and under the radio.  Reconnect the brown connector to the radio and rebolt the radio to the dash.

Step 4:  I decided to mount the switch into the small cubby next to the accessory power outlet.  I temporarily "hung" the radio trim to the top of the dash to have better access to the lower center console.

Step 5:  Remove the lower center console trim which is held on by clips.  Start at the back and work your way forward.  As you are going forward tilt the back up higher and higher as there are tabs that go into the dash.  If you just try to lift the whole piece up you will break the tabs.  Please be careful as the plastic seems really fragile.  You will also need to put the gear selector out of Park so the trim will clear as it is removed.

As you can see in the last photo I also pulled out the side trim panel to see what was holding it in but it is not necessary for you to do this.

Step 6:  Remove the 2 phillips screws that hold the lower cubby and unfasten the electrical connectors to the switches and power outlet. 

Step 7:  Drill out the cubby where you want to mount the switch.  I bent the switch contacts in as I thought it would clear the center console between the seats.  Since it did not, I had to notch the center console so the switch would clear.  In retrospect, I could have just drilled a hole through this too and not bend the contacts for a cleaner installation.  This is not an issue as the trim will be covering all of this from view.

Step 8:  Reconnect the connectors and refasten the lower cubby to the dash and then put all the trim back.  Here is the finished switch.

Now when driving just normally have the switch so the nav always gets the VSS signal.  Everything functions as normal. 

When the lockout occurs and you need to enter addresses simply flip the switch and the lockout is gone.  After entering your information just flip the switch back to normal position so the nav will retrack your position after 1-2 seconds.

Here is the car traveling 35 mph.  As you can see there is no lockout after I flip the switch.  I can select "address entry" and enter an address.

2008 SLT2 AWD, Build Date 11/07, Silver/Ebony, NAV, DVD, HUD, Sunroof, Bench Seats.
blulytes

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 07:17:20 PM »

AWESOME!!! great job!  So here is another question.

If there is a dvd playing, does the screen go to the dvd movie?Huh? or is this a function of "park only"

Thanks man!  this is something I am going to do soon!

mods.. this should be stickied!

2011 Carbon Black Acadia Denali
Flip68

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 07:19:14 PM »

Awesome writeup!  I had seen other sites discuss this approach to overcoming the lockout.  I unfortunately already installed a Costal Tech lockpick (most because I did want some of the other features), but had I not needed the other features, this is the way I would go!

I'm sure lots of people will be doing this mod  thumbs up
bonk1313
Hey members, Update your signatures with vehicle details. And post some pics of your ACADIA to share.
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

Carbon Black 2008 GMC Acadia SLT 2 Ebony 2-2-3

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 07:23:13 PM »

mods.. this should be stickied!

Done, pictures are not loading for me, makes me very mad  flaming mad

19's,2xSky,Trailering,GM HR DVD,Husky Liners,Bully Imposter GI51 Grille,Cargo Rails
Built 9/07,5/8 FLASH,XD XTREME 4300K HID KIT,Putco LED Interior Lights,
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 10:56:13 PM »

Simple enough; innovation at it's best  thumbs up

br1522

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 11:27:45 PM »

If there is a dvd playing, does the screen go to the dvd movie?Huh? or is this a function of "park only"

The switch does not change the factory dvd playback lock.  It still goes "blank" when you take it out of park.  I surmise it it contolled by a different signal/circuit.  There probably is a circuit you can bypass or jump to let it play back even while moving since the coastaltech unit is able to do it.  I may look into this more in depth later but I really don't have a use for it so I didn't bother.  Most of the time it's kid's dvds that are playing and we up front don't want to see it anyway.

2008 SLT2 AWD, Build Date 11/07, Silver/Ebony, NAV, DVD, HUD, Sunroof, Bench Seats.
Blue_2009_SLT2
Lobbying for liberty
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 12:10:03 AM »

Quote from: br1522
I looked into other electronic add on alternatives but they had many features that I did not need.  I simply do not need the ability for me or the passenger see the dvd while moving, or use the back up camera when not in reverse or have extra cameras, etc.  I also wanted something very simple to use as my wife and our parents who are in their 60's use my car from time to time.  They simply would not remember which button to hit, how many times they need to hit it or any other sequence of buttons to get it to work.

I'm in the same boat. Great write up! Great photos! Great post!

LOL I think I used a similar RS switch in my Daytona for the rearview camera except it is a SPDT to toggle reverse input & manual use.

This is definitely post of the month if not year. Smiley  thumbs up

gravitygod

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 04:17:41 PM »

Nice work.  As for the DVD in motion do you think it could be as simple as finding the wire that corresponds to the parking brake and installing another switch like you did for the navigation?  Maybe rear view camera as well.  You could have a whole row of $3 switches.

2008 AWD Carbon Black
br1522

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 11:42:36 PM »

Nice work.  As for the DVD in motion do you think it could be as simple as finding the wire that corresponds to the parking brake and installing another switch like you did for the navigation?  Maybe rear view camera as well.  You could have a whole row of $3 switches.

As for the DVD in motion, I'm not sure it would be as simple as finding the wire.  Finding the wire is the easy part as IIRC coastaletech's lockpick only really uses the wires contained in 3 of the 4 factory connectors that go to the nav/dvd/radio unit.  What is telling is that when using their lockpick, for some cars the usual nav tracking is not occurring when you watch DVD in motion (I'm not sure if this is the case for the Acadia). 

It is possible that the factory nav/dvd/radio unit may be looking at both a signal that the car is in "park" and also looking at what the VSS signal is before it will allow the DVD to be seen.  If this is the case, the nav lockout bypass would have to be flipped to block the VSS signal and another switch must be flipped to trick the unit that the car is in park. 

As for the backup camera, I need to take a look at that factory wiring diagrams as I wasn't planning on trying something like this.  I know that when installing coastaletech's lockpick, you need to cut a factory wire and then hook up a wire from their unit to the camera instead.  I would need to check to see what the wiring diagrams say the cut wire is before I can think this one through. 

I'll see if my friend who got me the info for VSS wire/connector can get me the wiring diagrams for the rest of the nav/dvd/ radio unit as well as for the factory rear camera module.

Smooth
Very blessed, and Very Thankful!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 12:28:34 AM »

br1522,

Thx for the great show & tell!  You were thorough & the pics were all good.  The results of your work look nice, and you accomplished just what you hoped to do!  Kudos to you!

Smooth
<><

'09 SLT-2, Nav, HID, Bench, Tow Pkg, Tech Pkg., Wht. Diamond Tri., Lt. Titanium, 18" Whls. (chromed) built 9/15/08, deliv. 9/25/08, obtained 10/20/08.  1987 S-10 Blazer 2X4.  IXOYE
rpasetto

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 11:43:20 AM »

Excellent!  One question... I see you're removing screws in the top-of-dash compartment.  Is this only because you wanted to get to the cubby at base of console?  (I was thinking of putting switch insie he top-of-dash compartment or maybe the glove compartment.)
marc

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 04:42:12 PM »

I wish you lived near me. I'd pay you to do this for me.

In the age of information, Ignorance is a choice!
br1522

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 01:15:53 AM »

br1522,

Thx for the great show & tell!  You were thorough & the pics were all good.  The results of your work look nice, and you accomplished just what you hoped to do!  Kudos to you!

Smooth
<><

Thanks but I have to give credit to http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm

I just adapted what they figured out to the Acadia.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories