Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
March 28, 2017, 03:44:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 Acadia: 28' 4350 lbs TT too much?  (Read 5983 times, 8 Replies)
SpartyOn

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2017, 06:50:20 PM »

New member here.

I've been pouring over the forum and there seems to be a large difference of opinion in towing experiences with the Acadia. Some have pulled at max towing and basically said "no problem," whereas others are of the opinion "absolutely not." Hence my quest for more feedback/knowledge.

My wife and I would like to purchase a 2017 Jayco Jay Feather 7 23RD. The particular model on the lot comes in at 4,350 lbs dry weight. It is 7' wide and ~28' long. TV would be a 2014 GMC Acadia FWD w/ factory tow package.

I am not terribly concerned about loaded weight, because we travel relatively light, and I would also never drive with fluids in the tanks. However, I am somewhat concerned about the length of the trailer, along with towing close to max GCVW.

GCVW is 10,250 lbs for the 2014 Acadia FWD (not sure why the AWD's is 10,450 lbs, seems counterintuitive, but so be it). Weights would be the following:

• Acadia: 4,656 lbs curb weight
  • Jayco 23RD (dry): 4,350 lbs
  • Weight-distributing hitch: ~80 lbs (?)
  • Two Passengers: ~400 lbs
  • Big Dog: 100 lbs

Total weight before cargo: 9,586 lbs

This would leave me with ~664 lbs for cargo and maybe SOME fluids. I believe this to be a very manageable cargo restriction, and one that we assuredly would come in well under.

With just the wife, dog, and I, most of the cargo would be loaded in the Acadia itself. So with curb weight, passengers, and say 200 lbs of cargo, that's 5,356 lbs in the Acadia. Ballpark for the Jayco would be the dry weight plus 150 lbs after propane, some cargo, etc. for 4,500 lbs. That gives me a TT to TV distribution of ~84%.

However, this setup basically has me either just below or at max towing and GCVW for the Acadia. Also, I would be somewhat concerned about the 28' length and if sway would be an issue, or, would the 7' wide frame help to mitigate the length?

Main towing would be done in Michigan and the Midwest, which is all relatively flat, but wouldn't rule out potential trips to Florida where mountains would need to be tackled.

A couple caveats: I am not terribly concerned about wear on the vehicle because I've only owned it two years and plan on keeping it for at least 10. Resale value isn't really a consideration here. Of course I would anticipate extra trans flushes/fluids, brakes, tires, etc. and if the tranny blows, so be it, I'll grab a Jasper reman and throw it in.

So essentially, I know the Acadia will tow this load - but will it tow it safely?

Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia NIRVANA

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 07:33:03 PM »

So essentially, I know the Acadia will tow this load - but will it tow it safely?

The only time safety would be questionable is in inclement weather. Then, AWD would be more advantageous. A decision of whether or not to drive during those times would be up to you. If you got stuck out on the road in such conditions, you'd be OK - maybe suffering from white knuckles at the end of the drive.  Grin

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
D4L3

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »

You technically could pull it, but I would recommend against it.  I pull a 2016 Coachmen Apex Nano 193BHS (around 3,400 pounds dry, 22 foot length) with my 2011 Acadia SLT FWD w/ tow package.  It handles better than I would have expected, thanks in part to the weight distribution hitch Iím sure, but it struggles on any type of incline, on ramp, or passing situation.  I also have to max at about 65 mph unless I want to drive in 5th gear and get 7 mpg.  Can get about 9-10 mpg if Iím lucky enough to keep it in 6th gear the majority of the time.  I never at any point feel unsafe and I always feel in control of it.  I wouldnít however go with anything bigger and after just one season of trips to northern Michigan, Iím ready to find a better tow vehicle as soon as we can afford it.  The Acadia is just a bit under powered for my preference when talking about 4,000+ pounds.  The other factor in your case is the length, which many people around here will tell you is too long.  Whatís that they say about the tail wagging the dog?  Length might get you into more of that unsafe category opposed to weight.  Best of luck!
Nvr2loud
Acadia Guru

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:34:38 PM »

Too much weight.

My trailer is a Trailcruiser 30QBSS

Dry weight 4370 lbs
With battery, propane tanks (2 x 20lb tanks = approx. 90 lbs), my 'attached' rear ladder, battery charger, spare tire and holder, it is actually up around 4800lbs. With a fully loaded trailer for a one week trip, NO WATER in the tanks, my measured weight was 6006 lbs.

WDH made it much more manageable, but it was still too heavy.

My 2012 Acadia has a limit of 600 lbs tongue weight WITH or WITHOUT the weight distributing hitch, your Acadia is likely similar. If we assume you can keep the trailer below 5500 lbs total, your tongue weight will exceed that limit. You will also use up a huge portion of your Acadia payload limit with the weight of the tongue.

Acadia wheelbase is also too short for that weight. I towed my trailer for two camping trips with my Acadia, and then got a pickup truck. My engine temperature also got way too high when towing that trailer, my fuel consumption was massive, and everyone at gas stations, grocery stores, and the campground shared their opinions of my towing combination very aggressively.

Remember that this is the internet, and we all have OPINIONS, mine is that you are attempting to tow a trailer that is too heavy. Good luck!

2008 SLE AWD 8psg Medium Brown Metallic RIP
2010 SLE2 AWD 8psg Summit White / Sunroof / tow pkg Traded-IN
2012 SLE2 AWD 8psg QuickSilver / Sunroof / Bose Traded-IN
2017 SLT1 AWD 7psg Summit White / Navigation / Sunroof / Bose / Tow pkg
50andunretired

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 04:34:04 PM »

Since this post is almost a month old and the OP hasn't been back I don't know if he already made up his mind or not.

But here goes.

First off - I think they should outlaw posting "Dry Weight" unless they are using it for registration purposes.

No ONE is every going to have there trailer at dry weight unless MAYBE it's on the drive home from the dealer,
otherwise that weight will never be used.
GVWR for the trailer should be assumed.  There is going to be a day when that trailer gets to that weight or beyond.

He stated that he would NEVER travel with any fluids - That to me is very unlikely.  Having a TT is like carrying your home with you.
How many of you don't have water in your home.  Stopping somewhere it might be very wise to have some water on board etc.

Then next thing is IF the OP can't drive 55mph then I would also recommend against the towing the setup he posted above.

He came here for advice - but maybe he didn't like it so he hasn't been back.

2010 SLT2 AWD Gold Mist
Nvr2loud
Acadia Guru

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 08:51:28 AM »

Since this post is almost a month old and the OP hasn't been back I don't know if he already made up his mind or not.

But here goes.

First off - I think they should outlaw posting "Dry Weight" unless they are using it for registration purposes.

No ONE is every going to have there trailer at dry weight unless MAYBE it's on the drive home from the dealer,
otherwise that weight will never be used.
GVWR for the trailer should be assumed.  There is going to be a day when that trailer gets to that weight or beyond.

Very true.... dry weight does not even apply to the trailer as it sits on a dealer lot. ANY items added to the trailer are above an beyond the dry weight

propane, battery, WDH hardware, rear mounted ladder, slide covers, ect.

Nvr2loud
Acadia Guru

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 08:55:02 AM »

He stated that he would NEVER travel with any fluids - That to me is very unlikely.  Having a TT is like carrying your home with you.
How many of you don't have water in your home.  Stopping somewhere it might be very wise to have some water on board etc.

I don't know how unlikely that is. I NEVER have any fresh water when the trailer is moving. I fill it at the campsite, my trailer is an ultralight and having 20 gallons of water in that flimsy tank sitting above an extremely thin floor does not provide a lot of confidence. My grey water and black water tanks are transported completely full at the end of each camping trip between the campsite and dumping station. I can really feel the weight of those full tanks back there, and these roads are only 10 mph camp roads.

SpartyOn

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 01:34:22 PM »

Original poster here. I'm still around, just haven't check-in for a while since there weren't really any responses coming in initially.

My wife and I have since decided to prioritize our international travel this year and have delayed the purchase of the Jayco. Your feedback has been helpful though. We have decided that when the time comes, we'll sell her Buick Encore and she'll move over to the Acadia as her daily driver. I will then upgrade to a Yukon or something (GM-only) similar.
Nvr2loud
Acadia Guru

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 02:18:16 PM »

Original poster here. I'm still around, just haven't check-in for a while since there weren't really any responses coming in initially.

My wife and I have since decided to prioritize our international travel this year and have delayed the purchase of the Jayco. Your feedback has been helpful though. We have decided that when the time comes, we'll sell her Buick Encore and she'll move over to the Acadia as her daily driver. I will then upgrade to a Yukon or something (GM-only) similar.

Before you purchase anything, check payload, GCWR, GVWR, maximum tongue weight rating, ect. The trailer you were considering will be at the limit for most 1/2 ton trucks. The Yukon will have a lower rating then a 1/2 ton. Rule of thumb, dry weights above 4000 lbs typically hit the payload limit of a 1/2 ton once the tongue weight is considered. I'm overloaded on my Sierra 1500 for both total payload and rear axle rating. I'm under for maximum trailer weight, GCWR, and maximum tongue weight with WDH. I'm using a WDH and transferring some of the tongue weight to the front axle of my truck and back onto the trailer axles, so I'm not overly concerned with rear axle rating. I've also installed extra leaf springs in my truck to help the handling (does not increase the rating) when loaded.

My available payload in my 2011 Sierra 1500 is 1420 lbs.
Tongue weight is approx. 900 lbs
My family, bikes, running boards, ect likely add up to a little bit more then the remaining 520 lbs of payload.

Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories