Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
January 18, 2017, 02:52:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Acadia Sales Numbers:    Sept: 5,287      YTD Total: 62,013      All Time: 323,333  (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pricing questions? How good is your deal? Links & pictorial how-to inside!  (Read 10682 times, 1 Replies)
Blue_2009_SLT2
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

Fool me once...

« on: January 23, 2009, 09:32:41 AM »

Since we get a lot of "How good is this price" questions here, I wanted to enable the self-help community. Below are links to the Edmunds.com Acadia pricing website along with a pictorial how-to. A similar function can be performed at the Cars.com website. Here is how to use Edmunds:

Click for Edmunds.com 2008 Acadia
Click for Edmunds.com 2009 Acadia
Click for Edmunds.com 2010 Acadia
Click for Edmunds.com 2011 Acadia

The example used is a 2009 Acadia FWD SLT2.
1) Find the model you want to price. There are six listed, three each for front wheel drive (FWD) and the remainder all wheel drive (AWD). Click on the blue link for the model you were quoted a price for by the dealer.

2) On the next page, look for the red "Price with options" button. Click it.

3) On the next page, this is where it gets tricky. You may see the same option listed twice sometimes with different prices! What this means is that it is one price with a certain option and another without it. Edmunds tries to explain this when you click on the "info" link. For example, the navigation radio is $1890 as either U3R or UZR. One (UZR) requires the rear seat entertainment and the other does not. It may still be possible to configure a vehicle that cannot be built, so use care here and check only the boxes your vehicle in question has as options. Don't worry about options shown as $0- these are usually mandatory equipment and don't affect the price. Be sure to select the color and the ZIP code of the dealer at the bottom of the page. Double check the correct boxes are checked and click the red "TMV Pricing Report" button next to where you input your ZIP code.

4) On this page, you'll see the options you selected and MSRP, Invoice, and "What others are paying" prices. Edmunds will also factor in any rebates they know about, which may not be current. The price you want to start with is the invoice price:

In our example, we see it is $39,463 for invoice.

Keep in mind there are at least two other factors that will increase this price:
1. Advertising fees, and
2. Dealer fees

We have discussed ad fees at length here and I'm not aware of any dealer that does not charge them. Some may say they don't like ours did, but then when it came time to pay, there was an added $400+ charge. This is usually called "IMR" on the invoice you get from the dealer. These can sometimes be negotiated, and are usually excluded on employee pricing specials.

Dealer fees vary widely. Some are content for around $100, while others are over $500. These are completely negotiable!

Since taxes and government fees vary by location, I don't address those here.

Let's say there are currently $2000 in available rebates for the 2009 models. Your dealer has quoted $39850 for the vehicle out the door before any taxes or government fees. How good is this deal?
39850 quoted price
37463 invoice minus rebate
 2387 difference / over invoice

This is the best and most consistent way to compare prices. It can also be looked at as an under MSRP price:

42525 MSRP
39850 quote
 2675 under MSRP

Not a really good deal depending on the market. The best deals are under the Edmunds invoice price, so use this as a guideline to see how your quoted price compares. Dealers are under no obligation to sell at the Edmunds price, so it is useful as reference info only.

Since this is a reference-only thread, I'm locking it to keep it easy to read and on one page. Any feedback, please PM me and I can update it.

Life lesson: The two best days owning an Acadia are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. Our $42K Acadia lasted less than 6 years and began to fall apart: radio, hatch, water pump, power steering, TPMS, and now the transmission all within a year.
Blue_2009_SLT2
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

Fool me once...

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:26:32 AM »

I'm also adding a link to the GM Family First website so you can build it there and see what the employee price is in relation to your quote:

Link

Life lesson: The two best days owning an Acadia are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. Our $42K Acadia lasted less than 6 years and began to fall apart: radio, hatch, water pump, power steering, TPMS, and now the transmission all within a year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories