Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
March 26, 2017, 08:58:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Acadia? Check out the all new GMC Terrain at http://www.TerrainForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acadia RIP, 2007-2011  (Read 17250 times, 37 Replies)
oicu812

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:13:03 PM »

Found this on GM Inside News:

GMI has learned that GM recently canceled two GMC product programs. The next-generation GMC Acadia program is the first program to be cut from the product plans at GMC. Originally the Acadia was slated to stay on with the next generation lineup of Lambda crossovers, while the closely-related Saturn Outlook would not be. However, that has obviously changed. As far as we know, the Outlook is still dead in the water for the next-generation.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/gmi-exclusive-some-gmc-product-programs-bite-dust-66182/

2007 Acadia SLT1 AWD, Red Jewel, Conv Pkg, Pwr Liftgate, HUD, Heated Washers.
detnick

Peace of Mind First

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »

This is a very disturbing development.  Shocked  I'm hoping, as I am sure all of you are, that there is some mistake or misunderstanding about the GM announcement (or press leak).  Huh? Shocked  Aside from the obvious mistake of dropping that line of vehicle production and the related business ramifications, it would seriously disappoint a lot of people (not the least of which will be the members of this forum).  Oh No

I followed the link and from what I read a lot of people think it's a good idea to just dump the Acadia. But, many also acknowledge that it is an award winning addition to the GM stable and a real crowd pleaser (even when compared with the Outlook and Enclave). What gives?  Angry  Sad

Let's just hope this is a mistake or unfounded rumor. If it is true I will have to seriously reconsider letting my new order stand.  Help  Undecided

Is there anyone else out there that has a handle on this news?   confused

2012 GMC Acadia SLT-2, TV14526, Carbon Black Metallic, Light Titanium Leather, 7 Passenger, Technology Package, HUD, DVD, Console, Sunroof, HID, Advanced Remote
Ordered: 1-10-12  GM Accepted: 1-11-12 Order Arrived/Dealership: 2-2-12 Took Delivery: 2-11-12
imgntht

Nuckin' Futs!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 02:51:09 PM »

You know had it not been for the fact that my wife's family is all about GM(both her father and grandfather worked for the company) I would seriously have to reconsider my purchase.  I love the Acadia and many other GM vehicles, but the company has some of the worst management and union problems than anything out there.  I know we as consumers don't know the whole story, but on the surface it sure seems like we could make better decisions to help keep this company alive.  I saw responses to the link that someone comments about getting rid of Rick Wagoner...I'm beginning to concur with this feeling, but would take it a few steps further and reconsider the members of the board, Bob Lutz, and probably numerous bean-counters as well. 

2007 GMC Acadia SLE AWD--Carbon Black/Titanium
Mods: GMC seat belt shoulder pads; Carbon Fiber sport pedals; 5-pc grille overlay set; Tinted reverse lights; Chrome body molding; 20x9 Bazo Forged B359 Monaco wheels; 255/55/20 Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires.  Cherry Bomb muffler, CBCM #5
loach
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 03:00:07 PM »

Another thing to keep in mind from the article:

"Product plans change on a daily basis at GM. Right now in particular, product plans are getting a shake-up constantly."

It's kind of like a saying about the weather here in the midwest: "Don't like the weather?  Just wait 10 minutes." 

Formerly owned: '08 GMC Acadia SLT2 AWD.  Bought July '07, sold Aug '10
admin
Administrator
Acadia Freak

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »

GMI likes to be the first to the block with news, so it's difficult to take breaking stuff from them too seriously until more sources are named. Lambdas are very profitable vehicles for GM. Currently, the Acadia outsells the other two combined. It also outsells the Yukon, almost 2 to 1 so far in 2008. In fact, it's the number 2 selling GMC by a wide margin, second only to the Sierra.

In other words, I either expect the very worst news (GMC is axed altogether), or a retraction of this statement shortly...

2007 Acadia SLT1 (Carbon Metallic/Titanium, DVD, Convenience, Captains Chairs, Cargo Pkg, XM, outlet) photo album
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (Summit White/Beige, RS pkg, Sunroof, 20" Polished Wheels, 426HP of Pure Evil!)
mmal4

2007 SLT-2 All options except heater and AWD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 07:45:35 PM »

Umm..very troubling indeed...I came from BMW...but BMW is too expensive for me now, because I got married and have a 1 year old.  I looked at GMC beacuse of the Acadia and Yukon Denali.  The Acadia has all the "bells and whisltes" of the german compaines.  Yeah some of the interior plastics are cheap, but the look good and hold up well.

Right to my point....As gas prices rise and the American ecomony slowing...good luck selling the monster Yukons and Escalades.  As I have read, Hummer is either being sold or on its way out.  GM is making a mistake killing the Acadia, and probably losing a repeat cutomer as well when it goes.  Just my 2cents

LED Reverse Lights/Extra backup LEDs in corners from Autolumination.  Putco LED interior lighting with floor and Glove Box LED's added.  Factory backup camera installed on my 07'.  Bluestar 2010 Bluetooth kit.  Denali front and rear bumpers, Blacked out vinyl GMC Logos.  Coastaltech Lockpick
SLTee

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 08:50:29 PM »

I have to echo the thoughts of others here.  I'm a converted import buyer (I've owned Hondas and a Lexus, all purchased new).  The Acadia was my first domestic purchase made after conducting a ton of research.  Its a great product, and if these rumors are true, they're cutting off their foot as soon as they finally get the choice of shoe right.  Absolutely mystifying., unless they're truly not concerned with bringing new buyers into the GM fold.    Hate to say it, but if GM scraps the Acadia- or worse GMC- either of which will likely clobber resale value of the Acadia I just purchased- they lose this customer for life.
detnick

Peace of Mind First

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 07:39:33 AM »

It's sort of interesting to note that several members who have posted here cited similar experiences and reasons for choosing the Acadia over other models. I was also a long time foreign vehicle owner (BMW), and a very satisfied one at that. The only reason I decided to leave my beloved BMW's was because they did not offer enough in the way of driver's leg room, passenger space, and at reasonable prices (I would have forgone the price issue - "you get what you pay for.")   thumbs up

But, when I really finally accepted that neither BMW or Mercedes offered what I needed, I came upon the Acadia. With all the appointments, options, electronics, room, handling - all the stuff that any car enthusiast would want, Acadia was the obvious choice. But, when you add in all the potential problems, TSB, complaints, etc. and you still decide to give GM a chance . . . well, that says a lot about faith (in a company).  Smiley

Now, out of the blue, with the potential for the GMC Acadia to help pull GM back into profitability, they decide to cut the division - how does that make sense?  Huh?   Shocked

Sorry . . . I'm just venting a little bit. Let's hope none of this is true. Wouldn't you think GM would do some sort of survey and see what their customer base wants?  confused  Huh?

The powers that be are definitely  Lame

Check out this article from another related thread:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/outlooks-not-good-for-acadia-or-gmc-or-buick/

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/gmi-exclusive-some-gmc-product-programs-bite-dust-66182/

2012 GMC Acadia SLT-2, TV14526, Carbon Black Metallic, Light Titanium Leather, 7 Passenger, Technology Package, HUD, DVD, Console, Sunroof, HID, Advanced Remote
Ordered: 1-10-12  GM Accepted: 1-11-12 Order Arrived/Dealership: 2-2-12 Took Delivery: 2-11-12
Liquid Silver

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 09:21:14 AM »

So that sort of begs the question(s)...

Did you buy the vehicle because of the content/quality/style or because it's called Acadia or because it's branded a GMC?

The content/quality/style could just as easily be sold as a Chevy, and GM could eliminate a totally redundant division that, aside from the Acadia, is selling trucks and SUVs that people aren't buying now.

GM should be concerned about the overall health of the company, even at the expense of one (or more) of its brands.  The idea of shutting down GMC is not "out of the blue"; the debate has been out there for years...

2008 Acadia SLT-1 AWD | Liquid Silver | Titanium Leather | Sunroof | Power Lift Gate |7 Passenger
Silver Acadia Club Member #8
detnick

Peace of Mind First

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 10:20:29 AM »

I don't disagree about what was said about GM downsizing by dumping GMC. In order for the corporation to continue to operate I'm certain major changes and cost-cutting measures will have to be taken. Nothing is sacred to ensure the survival of the overall company.

Personally, I was drawn to what I believe is better content/quality/style under the GMC badge, whether or not there is an actual or just a perceived difference. The reality is that there are no major differences between the Lambdas (save for a different set of option packages and some subtle design differences), but they were significant enough to me that I made a choice among the three and decided on the Acadia.

Perhaps you are correct - the GMC division is a redundancy that should be eliminated eventually. But, that depends on which customers' " . . .ox is being gored." It affects me because I, for whatever reason, perfer the Acadia over the other models. Given the number of members of this forum, I'm sure there are a lot of others who feel the same way.  Soapbox

rae0568
White Diamond Champion!

Acadia owner since 3/17/07

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 11:13:04 AM »

I have to echo the thoughts of others here.  I'm a converted import buyer (I've owned Hondas and a Lexus, all purchased new).  The Acadia was my first domestic purchase made after conducting a ton of research.  Its a great product, and if these rumors are true, they're cutting off their foot as soon as they finally get the choice of shoe right.  Absolutely mystifying., unless they're truly not concerned with bringing new buyers into the GM fold.    Hate to say it, but if GM scraps the Acadia- or worse GMC- either of which will likely clobber resale value of the Acadia I just purchased- they lose this customer for life.

Same here. The Acadia is my first American vehicle (owned Honda, Acura & Nissan vehicles, all purchased new). I've had more problems with the Acadia than any vehicle I've owned, but it does not take away my love for the Acadia. There goes the resale value. IMO... they should cut Saturn, Buick or Pontiac before they dump GMC. My next vehicle will not be a product from GM!

2007 GMC Acadia AWD SLT-2 4SB White Diamond Tricoat/Brick, 19's, everything except engine heater.
GaryB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 01:32:34 PM »

With no truly unique light car/truck models, GMC is obviously redundant except as a marketing scheme (which is how GMC began selling  light duty vehicles in the first place).   And their line up is all SUVs and trucks, anathema in today's rush toward fuel efficiency.  But that doesn't explain how it got to be GM's 3rd largest selling brand - they must be doing something right. But does it make sense to revamp the GMC product line with small cars and hybrids? Probably not, except that the GMC brand name might bring in customers that Chevy might not.

GM surely believes that customers who buy GMC (and Saturn too) would buy Chevy or Pontiac instead. I'm not so sure. I know I was a lot more enthusiastic for a GMC car than counterparts from another division.  We were looking at an Envoy when the Acadia came out - a Trailblazer was not in the running, even though there is little real difference from an Envoy.  We have owned a few Chevies in the past, mostly because of financial incentives, but that's not where my mindset is. For me, the loss of the GMC brand would lead me to look elsewhere first.

I always felt that GMC itself did little to promote the Acadia in terms of advertising. People still come up to me and ask what it is and "I didn't know GMC had a car like that" is a frequent comment.
Liquid Silver

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 02:49:57 PM »

GMC's rise to be the third best selling GM brand is a function of marketing and consumer preference for trucks and SUVs.  GM marketing convinced a lot of people that a GMC was somehow more/better than the same vehicle packaged as a Chevy.  You're right that some people would look at a GMC, but not a Chevy or Saturn.  But if GM created a sub-brand within Chevrolet, similar to Denali within GMC, maybe they can keep a bigger customer base without the cost of a separate brand.

If the content and pricing were the same, I wouldn't have a preference between a GMC and a Chevy (despite the awful name, Traverse).  In my eyes, they are equal.

2008 Acadia SLT-1 AWD | Liquid Silver | Titanium Leather | Sunroof | Power Lift Gate |7 Passenger
loach
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 03:09:57 PM »

If the content and pricing were the same, I wouldn't have a preference between a GMC and a Chevy (despite the awful name, Traverse).  In my eyes, they are equal.

Ditto for me.  Badge means next to nothing to me.  Function means everything.  I absolutely would have considered the Traverse and did consider the Outlook when I bought.  If the Acadia hadn't been available I simply would have bought an Outlook. 

mikehw17

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »

Design is the main deal for me, never been a fan of Chevy design, although the new Malibu is of exception. For me, GMC has always been the prefered choice. Like others I am a "import" convert, owned two Nissans and a Subaru since I got my license at 17, traded in my Nissan Xterra for the Acadia due to its design. All things being equal, i.e. mechanics, content, and major options, the deciding factor for many people is design.  If GMC as a brand is killed off, I will not be purchasing another GM vehicle.  I have always liked the Yukon better over the Tahoe, same car by all standards, but there is just something about the GMC design that speaks to me. Saturn Outlook's front end is offensive in my opinion, Buick is overly curvy, Chevy looks like plain vanilla - gets lost in the crowd. The Acadia has powerful mid section lines that blends in perfectly with a soft frontal siloette, perfectly balanced design. The interior layout is clean, functional, crome accents adds just a touch of show.

2008 Silver SLT-2 AWD with DVD, HID, Dual Roof and red SPYDER decals on rear quarter windows
admin
Administrator
Acadia Freak

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 05:22:32 PM »

GMC's rise to be the third best selling GM brand is a function of marketing and consumer preference for trucks and SUVs. 
Actually, GMC is the #2 selling GM Brand behind Chevy for at least the past 2 years. That's really my biggest issue with this story. I don't know the inner workings of the company, but being the #2 selling brand, having highly profitable products like the Denali line and the Acadia AND the fact that, indeed, everything is badge engineered means no extra R&D costs would mean to me that GMC costs only advertising dollars and would probably net the most return on investment in the GM lineup.

That said, GM needs to do what it needs to do to survive in this economy of sky high oil prices, plummeting home values and weak US dollar. From a buyers perspective, I simply thought the Acadia was the best looking and best packaged version of the Lambda, but I would not be unhappy with any of the other models.

2007 Acadia SLT1 (Carbon Metallic/Titanium, DVD, Convenience, Captains Chairs, Cargo Pkg, XM, outlet) photo album
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (Summit White/Beige, RS pkg, Sunroof, 20" Polished Wheels, 426HP of Pure Evil!)
SLTee

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 08:09:20 PM »

So that sort of begs the question(s)...

Did you buy the vehicle because of the content/quality/style or because it's called Acadia or because it's branded a GMC?

The content/quality/style could just as easily be sold as a Chevy, and GM could eliminate a totally redundant division that, aside from the Acadia, is selling trucks and SUVs that people aren't buying now.

GM should be concerned about the overall health of the company, even at the expense of one (or more) of its brands.  The idea of shutting down GMC is not "out of the blue"; the debate has been out there for years...

Why does it have to be "content/quality/style or" brand/mark?  All of those issues factored into our decision.  If you make your buying decisions purely on features and utility alone- good for you.  But that's not how most people operate.

You can be dismissive about the distinction between GMC and Chevy if you wish, but its a simple fact that people perceive a prestige/quality difference between the two.  Perception = $$, whether its logical or not.  Witness resale values if you don't believe me.  As for Chevy, the Traverse wasn't available when we were looking, but quite frankly, I wouldn't have bought one even if it had been available.  The exterior styling is not my cup of tea.  I actually did consider the Enclave, but I wasn't happy about the price premium involved (or the soft ride), and it really would have taken some doing to convince my wife to roll with a Buick.  The Saturn may have been an option, but the Outlook seems to be way outside of their brand concept, and I've never quite gotten over the gimmicky plastic panels most folks associate with Saturn.  Call me shallow, but I simply would not have been likely to shell out that much money for a Saturn.

You're certainly correct that GM is entitled to take their financial health into account when making their strategic decisions (they would be crazy not to), just as I'm entitled to take whatever considerations I darn well want into account when I throw $40k down on a vehicle.  If GM pulls an Oldsmobile on the resale/value of my Acadia, they won't be getting my repeat business.  Period.

And no, debate about GMC's viability has not been widely known.  Perhaps its not "out of the blue" for industry insiders or enthusiasts, but I daresay the rest of us plebian purchasers have good cause to be PO'd.
Liquid Silver

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 01:04:50 AM »

SLTee,

I wasn't being dismissive of the distinction between GMC and Chevy; at least that wasn't my intention.  To the contrary, kudos to GM marketing for creating the perception that a GMC is somehow more than a Chevy.

The point I am making is that, I think, most of us bought the Acadia for its content and style, and not because it is a GMC or because its named Acadia.  If that content and style had a different brand or name attached, many of us would have still bought the vehicle.

For what it's worth, I agree with everything you say about the Outlook and Enclave.  I love the look/styling of the Acadia.  But I didn't buy it because it's a GMC and I didn't buy it because it's called Acadia.

Admin,

Thanks for the correction.  That further illustrates why the rumors of GMC's demise seem plausible.  If your #2 brand is based on trucks, and the bottom falls out of the truck market, it won't be your #2 brand for long - at least not in profits.  If $4 gas is here to stay, it's hard to see the truck market coming back and it's hard to see GMC selling enough trucks to survive.  It's too bad GM wouldn't consider killing off Chevy trucks and keeping GMC...

Loach,

Just wondering...are you from Omaha or just passing through?

RedRocker

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 07:58:35 AM »

I completely agreee with the idea that I will not be purchasing another GM if the GMC line get's axed.  This would be very short sighted for GM to cut GMC in the midst of $4.00 gas...American's are still going to purchase trucks, period.  We need them to tow on the weekends and go to work during the week.  GM is on the cutting edge of fuel efficiency and arguably, going to be the leader in then next couple years in alternative modes of powering our vehicles. 

If you look at the past 5 or 10 year periods...GMC is General Motors #1 selling brand.  It's just in the past few months that they have slipped to #2 with higher fuel prices. 

Let's look at Pontiac.  They really don't offer a truck.  The Torrent is the closest thing and there are SO many other choices out there...I can't imagine a vehicle like that is very profitable for GM.  The G8 is a fantastic vehicle...but it's never going to be a volume leader.  Grand Prix is somewhat dead in the water, G5 has never sold in amounts GM was looking for.  The G6 is an improvement, but again...very redundant over what you can get from Chevy (in an SS version??).  That leaves the Solstice (how much is GM loosing on this one?) and the Vibe (a toyota). 

GMC plays in the big truck area.  Industrial/Commercial.  They are still going to sell those trucks...maybe in smaller volumes, but they will still be profitable for GM for sure. 

Oldsmobile was so redundant...it really made sense to kill that brand...in the same way Mercury is redundant over at Ford.  Pontiac is the same way.  Pontiac has really never taken off as the performance brand at GM and (I do believe their styling is pretty nice) the vehicles are, pretty much, all sold in other places.  You can sell the public on killing Pontiac...it's really going to be tough to sell the public on killing off GMC. 

I know the GMC's are also rebrands of other GM vehicles...but the price premium GM enjoys...their VAST dealer network and the money they make in the commercial side of the biz seem, to me, like strong reasons to keep GMC.

...just my thoughts...

2007 GMC Acadia Liquid Silver AWD, SLT-2, HID, NAV, 19's, S-Roof, Tow Pkg, XM.

1998 Corvette
2006 Infiniti M45
loach
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »

Loach,

Just wondering...are you from Omaha or just passing through?

From Omaha - born and raised here. 

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories