Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
October 23, 2014, 12:28:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Acadia Sales Numbers:    Sept: 5,287      YTD Total: 62,013      All Time: 323,333  (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: towing a boat  (Read 3779 times, 12 Replies)
rocketman9132

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »

how will the acadia do towing a yamaha boat that ways 3200 pounds?
dfrank78

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 10:02:09 PM »

It should do just fine.  I pull my Skeeter SL176 Fish and Ski behind the Acadia all the time. It is around the same weight.

2008 Acadia SLE  Dark Crimson Metallic
2007 Silverado LT Texas Edition Graystone Metallic
Member #1 Dark Crimson Metallic club
TDM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:23:37 AM »

Should not be any problem at all as you are below the GVWR for any model of the Acadia.  I have used my AWD to tow up to 5000 and it performed well on highways.  Your gas mileage will take a dive though - pulling 4000 lbs 800 miles dropped me to about 14 mph.
AcadiaGirl18

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 10:18:32 AM »

Hey there,
I just towed a 2200 lb boat from ATL to Key West Florida with out any issues at all.  That is over 956 milles in one day.  Engine temp stayed level, tranmision did fine.  The only thing I did was manualy shift to keep her in 6th while towing at 67 MPH.
O yea, this is an SLE model and I but the aftermarket hitch on myself. 
Thanks
vogelm1

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 04:23:53 PM »

Hey good to hear...so did you mean you manually shifted to keep it in 5th?  I just put an after market hitch and harness on mine too and hopefully it will do just as good pulling our 2500 lb boat.
J33

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:06:36 PM »

So your Acadia can keep the desired torque on 6th gear while pulling a 2200 lbs boat ?
exprezchef

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 10:58:39 AM »

how will the acadia do towing a yamaha boat that ways 3200 pounds?

I am curious which Yamaha boat you will be towing.  I currently have a fairly light Maxum 1800SR and was thinking about getting a much heavier Yamaha AR210. The only thing holding me back is my concern that I will be geting really close to the max towing capacity of the Acadia. If you, or any other readers have towed one of these let me know what the outcome was.

2008 SLT2 AWD Carbon Black w/ Ebony Leather
Nav, DVD, HID's, HUD, Towing Pkg, 19" Wheels, Sunroofs
apples

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 01:35:41 PM »

Has anyone towed after getting the new transmission calibration?  It doesn't look like normal driving is causing much difference with gas mileage.  I wonder if towing causes it to be worse.  We towed our boat to the marina the other day (no transmission updates) and the gas mileage went down about 2 gallons per mile.  We only get about 13-14 city driving and it went down to 11...YIKES  (we have almost 5,000 miles on it).

Thanks

2008 Carbon Black Metallic AWD Titanium Leather SLT-2 Dual Sunroof DVD Towing Convenience Package 7 Passenger
AcadiaGirl18

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 03:47:52 PM »

To answer your questions about shifting, I was able to keep the Acadia at 67 mph in 6th gear at about 1900 RPM's.  I took pictures with my Camera phone to prove it.... Grin.  If I went above 67mph or up a hile I would  into 5th or 4th depending on the slope.  I was really hoping for better gas milleage, but towing somthing that large at those speeds what else could you expect.  I would imagin if you towed at 60 mph you would be able to get about 13 to 14 mpg out of the Acadia.  I hope this helps, and as far as the transmission converter I say heck no.  unless you are planning on halling the boat every day.  JUst my oppinion.
Thanks  thumbs up
dfrank78

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 06:04:20 PM »

Just got back from the lake for the weekend.  I hauled my Skeeter fish and ski that weighs around 2200 lbs.  The trip is around 400 miles round trip.  I managed to get 16 mpg at 65mph.  I was impressed.  I had to keep the transmission locked in 5th gear if I got above 65 but it would stay in 6th as long as the road was level if I stayed at 65. 

2008 Acadia SLE  Dark Crimson Metallic
2007 Silverado LT Texas Edition Graystone Metallic
Member #1 Dark Crimson Metallic club
J33

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 10:59:27 PM »

To answer your questions about shifting, I was able to keep the Acadia at 67 mph in 6th gear at about 1900 RPM's.  I took pictures with my Camera phone to prove it.... Grin.  If I went above 67mph or up a hile I would  into 5th or 4th depending on the slope.  I was really hoping for better gas milleage, but towing somthing that large at those speeds what else could you expect.  I would imagin if you towed at 60 mph you would be able to get about 13 to 14 mpg out of the Acadia.  I hope this helps, and as far as the transmission converter I say heck no.  unless you are planning on halling the boat every day.  JUst my oppinion.
Thanks  thumbs up
Thank you AcadiaGirl18 - I believe you !  Smiley
I was just curios about the tranny behavior while towing a heavy boat. Your mileage is great for such a weight. I tow 8' wide travel trailer which is way less aerodynamic than your boat so I get only 11.2 mpg while using "manual;" shifting; with Haul button mileage drops to 8.5 mpg !
I was never able to tow on 6th gear, tranny would overwrite my decision and would down shift to 5th or 4th to get desired torque regardless the speed.
AcadiaGirl18

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 05:37:51 PM »

I would have to think that the towing a travel trailer, somthing not as sleak would cause such a decrease in MPG and be combersome shifting.  One thing I noticed while driving was keeping the Acadia moving at 65-67MPH.  If I had to break or speed up, it would overide me as well and shift to 5th or 4th depending on the tourch.  If you had a constant head wind or side draft, I would assume the car would shift into a lower gear.  I think it just all depends..... Bang Head
gtb990

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 04:33:40 PM »

I have a 2008 Acadia without tow package.  I installed an aftermarket hitch and trans oil cooler.  Just got back from a trip to Michigan's upper penninsula from the Detriot area, about 350 miles each way.  Towed my 21' Wellcraft on a tandem axle trailer.  Total weight of boat and trailer is 4500 lbs, not including gas and gear.  The boat had about 20 gallons of gas in it, so add another 160 lbs for gas + 50 lbs for gear.  Also had (6) passengers in the vehicle with additional gear in a car top carrier.  I was obviously over the rated capacity and more than a little nervous about the trip.  I'm happy to report that I was able to pull the boat/trailer 700 miles round trip with no issues.  Some moderate hills every now and then, but nothing too major.  Engine temp ran at 210 all the way, same as it does with no trailer.  Trans fluid looked no worse for the wear.  I rarely ventured above 60 mph and ran in 5th gear most of the way.  Shifted manually in the hills.  I was very impressed with the performance.

Additionally, my front wheel drive Acadia was able to pull the boat out of the water effortlessly.  No wheel slip.  The ramp was dry concrete with deep grooves.  It was a fairly shallow launch for my boat, but I don't think I would have any issue with a steeper ramp given the same concrete surface.  This test will come later in the summer when I launch the boat locally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories