Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
February 26, 2017, 07:12:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Acadia? Check out the all new GMC Terrain at http://www.TerrainForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rumor of Buick being Dropped by GM  (Read 7387 times, 19 Replies)
skyhawk

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:42:13 PM »

Heard on a local radio show this morning that a rumor is floating around that GM may drop the Buick line. Was wondering if anyone else had heard that and if they had more info on it? One way or another. Hope it' not true. But I could see it, the way GM keeps losing money.
johnway

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:49:10 PM »

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest/extra/P112987.asp

by the way, read the date of the article - 2005 - this rumor has been around for years - but it may become more true as GM sales keep declining.

2007 Acadia SLT-2 AWD, Red Jewel/Ebony Leather, NAV, DVD Entertainment, Sunroofs, Capt Chairs
2000 Suburban LT
marc

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »

I did hear today GM may be selling off or re-thinking the Hummer brand. I just dropped my Acadia off for service today and it looks like they they just as many Hummers there as they did 6 months ago.

In the age of information, Ignorance is a choice!
johnway

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »

It was just in the Wall Street Journal Online this afternoon on a write up of the GM shareholders meeting, they are doing a strategic study on the Hummer line that might lead to the sale of that unit.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121248991309341065.html?mod=hps_us_whats_news

2007 Acadia SLT-2 AWD, Red Jewel/Ebony Leather, NAV, DVD Entertainment, Sunroofs, Capt Chairs
2000 Suburban LT
loach
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:57:36 PM »

Why is this posted here?

Formerly owned: '08 GMC Acadia SLT2 AWD.  Bought July '07, sold Aug '10
coloradoGM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:41:35 PM »

Why is this posted here?
Because we are all GM fans and are interested in the Companies future.  Why wouldn't it be posted on this site should be the question.

2003 Chevy 2500HD - My Truck
2009 Med. Brown Met. STL2/AWD/Nav/E-Sys/HID - Not Mine
loach
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 10:48:37 PM »

Why is this posted here?
Because we are all GM fans and are interested in the Companies future.  Why wouldn't it be posted on this site should be the question.

Belongs in the off-topic or rumor mill section.  Not here.

skyhawk

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 02:00:56 AM »

Applesauce.
SLTee

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 08:53:56 PM »

Heard on a local radio show this morning that a rumor is floating around that GM may drop the Buick line. Was wondering if anyone else had heard that and if they had more info on it? One way or another. Hope it' not true. But I could see it, the way GM keeps losing money.

This would definitely be surprising.  GM- like the other domestics- is losing money because of incredibly poor product planning with their short sighted focus on trucks and truck-based SUVs.  Now that they're rectifying this they're looking to contract on of the few marks in their lineup that sells neither?
Liquid Silver

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 01:17:10 AM »

I doubt it will be Buick.  Taken as a whole, Buick is profitable.  It's also GM's biggest entry in China where it's considered a premium brand.  Even GM wouldn't give up China's potential by killing Buick.

If GM kills another brand, it will be GMC or Pontiac.

2008 Acadia SLT-1 AWD | Liquid Silver | Titanium Leather | Sunroof | Power Lift Gate |7 Passenger
Silver Acadia Club Member #8
Keith

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 11:08:17 AM »

I doubt it will be Buick.  Taken as a whole, Buick is profitable.  It's also GM's biggest entry in China where it's considered a premium brand.  Even GM wouldn't give up China's potential by killing Buick.

Though a Pontiac lover, that might be the one to go. Other than the G6, they do not have much going on over there. The G5 isnt much. Saw the G8 and not only do they not have many to sell, its not that great of a car IMO. That leaves the vibe, a Toyota. I hope they have something else in the works.
Mr. Plow

From the Garlic Capital of the World.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 02:42:32 PM »

Keith - Don't forget Pontiac has the Solistice.  Not sure where the sales figures are for it, but I know I see many on the roads out here.

2011 Equinox - LTZ, 2.4L, Twilight Blue, Black/Titanium, FWD, XM Contract, OnStar Contract, 18" Wheels, Delivered 4/30/11
2008 Acadia - SLT2, Deep Blue, Titanium, AWD, HID, HUD, Nav, XM Contract, OnStar Contract, Tow, Dual SkyScape, 7 Pax Seating, 19" Tires, May 8th Flash, Delivered 1/12/08
mitchl

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »

Though a Pontiac lover, that might be the one to go. Other than the G6, they do not have much going on over there. The G5 isnt much. Saw the G8 and not only do they not have many to sell, its not that great of a car IMO. That leaves the vibe, a Toyota. I hope they have something else in the works.

I can't believe that they would kill Buick.  Buick provides an alternative in luxury to the high priced Cadillac (and the future looking cars of Cadillac).  It is a small brand as well, focusing on just a few cars.  Pontiac seems lost on where it is in the lineup with the superbrand Chevrolet and mid-brand Saturn.  The Soltice is exactly the same car as the Skye.  The Vibe and maybe one other Pontiac could easily move to Buick, receive a improvement in ride and comfort which comes with that brand, and make Buick a more full brand.  That would leave the GMCs to be sold alongside Buicks, the Chevy dealers, the Caddies, and the Saturns. 

I think Hummer is going away fully, or become just a side brand of GMC.   Soon, I think all you will have of Hummer will be the H3T, and a GMC/Hummer clone of the Wrangler to provide a more fuel efficient 4x4 than anything else GM has.

2012 Nissan Altima - Purch May 2012
2012 Nissan Frontier - Purch May 2012
2007 GMC Acadia FWD SLT2, Deep Blue, Titanium Leather, 2Row Bench, DVD, HUD. -- Ord Feb 07, Delivered Apr 07, Traded May 12
2008 White Mustang- V6 Pony Package, Tan Leather, 5 Speed.  Purch Jun 08, Traded May 12
43sbest

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 07:51:56 PM »

If any line is dropped it would more than likely be GMC (this has also been reported by several publications). When the Traverse goes into production every GMC will have a Chevrolet twin.  (the Envoy is being discontinued).
If GMC (or anyone of the present 3) is discontinues it means GM has wasted the money spent for retooling the Spring Hill plant because the surviving 3 (if 3 do survive) could be built at the Delta plant.

Another question is why would anyone buy an Outlook after the Traverse comes out?

Just my humble opinion of course

Enclave CXL FWD WDT, Titianium, lux pkg, conv pkg, 19" chrome wheels, sunroofs, ent 3 & second row bench. Love it
Kloogee

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 09:03:10 PM »

Another question is why would anyone buy an Outlook after the Traverse comes out?

Because the Traverse is FUGLY and the Outlook looks pretty good.  IMO of course.   wink

2008 Acadia SLE AWD w/ tow package, 7-passenger, 6-disc Bose/tri-zone climate, remote start/backup sensors, power seats, Liquid Silver, Ebony Cloth (Nov 2007 build date)
kanderna

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 09:20:03 PM »

Because the Traverse is FUGLY and the Outlook looks pretty good.  IMO of course.   wink

Ditto Cheesy

2008 SLT-2, AWD, Med. Brown, Ebony Leather, DVD, Nav, Trailering, Roof Holes
khansen30

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 10:05:24 AM »

Because, IMO, the Traverse looks more like the Enclave.  Besides, Outlook has been the best selling Saturn they have designed.  I have seen far more posts by Enclave and Acadia owners complain about and have more problems than the Outlook owners (some would say that's because there are more of the Enclaves and Acadias on the road, I don't know but I think that Saturn has the right idea by only working on their own and not letting anyone else work on them).  Saturn has a strong following even though the Buick and GMC drivers don't want to admit it.

Signature:
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab (Mine)       2011 Chevy Camaro (Wifes)
Black - Cashmere  Leather                       Yellow - Black Interior
Everything
Proud Former Owner of a 2007 Outlook and 2009 Acadia
43sbest

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 10:58:44 PM »

Because, IMO, the Traverse looks more like the Enclave.  Besides, Outlook has been the best selling Saturn they have designed.  I have seen far more posts by Enclave and Acadia owners complain about and have more problems than the Outlook owners (some would say that's because there are more of the Enclaves and Acadias on the road, I don't know but I think that Saturn has the right idea by only working on their own and not letting anyone else work on them).  Saturn has a strong following even though the Buick and GMC drivers don't want to admit it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but do you really think the Outlook has less problems that the Enclave and Acadia when all three are built at the same plant?

Enclave CXL FWD WDT, Titianium, lux pkg, conv pkg, 19" chrome wheels, sunroofs, ent 3 & second row bench. Love it
loach
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 11:26:01 PM »

Sounds like you have shaved your head and drank the Saturn Kool-aid if you believe Outlooks that are built on the same line as Acadias are somehow superior in quality.  There are 2+ times as many Acadias on the road than Outlooks, so of course you're going to hear 2+ times as many problems about them.  Check the sales figures. 

khansen30

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 12:48:20 AM »

Sounds like you have shaved your head and drank the Saturn Kool-aid if you believe Outlooks that are built on the same line as Acadias are somehow superior in quality.  There are 2+ times as many Acadias on the road than Outlooks, so of course you're going to hear 2+ times as many problems about them.  Check the sales figures. 

Read what I said again - I said there are more Acadias on the road, and that could be why there are more posts.  I am not say they are superior quality, I am saying you don't hear nearly the amount of problems as with the other two.  The GMC and Buick dealers work on a lot more cars in a day than the Saturn dealers.  Some of the bad fixes could be from not enough time spent on one vehicle and them getting lost in the shuffle.  The Saturn dealers working only on the Outlooks and not letting other dealers work on them allows the Saturn dealers to focus more time on the Saturn vehicles.  I have dealt with a couple Saturn dealers around the country and have found their work far better than any other GM dealer.

With the GM dealers being combined under one roof now, getting quality work is going to be even harder as more and more vehicles are brought in.

Signature:
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab (Mine)       2011 Chevy Camaro (Wifes)
Black - Cashmere  Leather                       Yellow - Black Interior
Everything
Proud Former Owner of a 2007 Outlook and 2009 Acadia
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories