Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
August 28, 2014, 07:13:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stabilitrak malfunction  (Read 95900 times, 173 Replies)
Cogdoc

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:00:43 AM »

My wife and family love our new Acadia, but so far we have had to take it into the dealer 3 times to address a all wheel drive stabilitrak problem. While we are driving all of a sudden the stabilitrak will go out, a warning bell will sound and we are informed to take the car to the dealer to have the stabilitrak repaired. First they replaced a sensor, then they replaced the system, now they are telling us the ...oh you will love this...that the stabilitrak is malfunctioning because the oil had not been changed, we were 1000 miles overdue for an oil change, but if the stabilitrak does malfunction, all we need to do is pull over, turn off the engine and wait, then re-start the car and viola the stabilitrak will be up and running!! Oh by the way they tell us that an engineer at GMC personally told them about this problem and solution. Anyone else having stabilitrak problems like ours and if so do you have any suggestions? Thank you

John
vic49

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »

I just keep getting an error message that my traction control is off. Seems to be connected to my ongoing battery issue though. Every time my battery dies I get the traction control off message. Please keep us posted about your problem.
dabdoubty

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 08:48:20 PM »

Teh next time this happens please push the blue Onstar button and ask the consultant to check for codes.  I suspect this may be an intermittent wiring issue with a sensor or the steering angle sensor.
jonv112

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 10:59:27 PM »

Probably a bad steering wheel sensor.

2005 Sport Red Montana SV6 1SC ext, Touring Package, Trailering Package, Auto-leveling rear shocks, Air inflator kit, Dual Power Sliding Doors, DVD Entertainment system, Rear Spoiler, 17" Chrome Wheels, Traction Control, Stabilitrak,
Cogdoc

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 12:43:52 AM »

Thanks all for your comments..I will keep you posted..it is back at the dealer now..we will see what they say/do.
rae0568
White Diamond Champion!

Acadia owner since 3/17/07

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 09:41:05 AM »

My Stabilitrak and Traction Control malfunctioned on Saturday 9/15. It stated that both systems were off and needed to be serviced. I took it to the dealership on Monday 9/17 and the only other code that showed was a low voltage code. Vehicle was test driven and no other problems were noted. I was told it shouldn't happen again. I will just have to wait and see. I called Onstar the same day and asked for a diagnostic and they found nothing, not even the low voltage code. Two days later, 9/17 Onstar emailed my monthly diagnostic report stating all systems were normal except TPMS: low 31 psi.

2007 GMC Acadia AWD SLT-2 4SB White Diamond Tricoat/Brick, 19's, everything except engine heater.
rockedaway

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 11:17:03 PM »

My Stabilitrac and ABS light came on 12 times within the first month of ownership (I've owned it for 5 weeks). I could sometimes even feel and hear the ABS pulsate and rumble and the lights would come on. I took it to my dealer and they found the problem and fixed it. Their diagnosis: "Scan system found code CO040 the right front wheel speed sensor circuit open or short to ground due to tan and dark green wire rubbing on frame on passenger side engine compartment repair damaged tan and dark green wire." This absolutely fixed my problem.  Smiley

2008 WD, Titanium leather, SLT2, Nav w/ BU Camera, DVD, HUD, HID, Dual Sunroofs, 19's, Trailer Towing
taylor

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 11:46:28 AM »

I have had my acadia for three weeks and experienced the stability trak light flicker on and off while only one of the front wheels brakes!  This had caused me to drift into other lanes.  Luckily it only has happened at low speeds (20-30 mph); which, I think is when the ABS/stability trak turns on/off.  I'm hoping that your blog will give the dealer somewhere to look.... 
Another note:  I purchased this car for it's five star crash rating and good MPG over a Toyota.  So far, we have only gotten 16 MPG.  Not too impressed.
logbite

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 12:23:01 PM »

Another note:  I purchased this car for it's five star crash rating and good MPG over a Toyota.  So far, we have only gotten 16 MPG.  Not too impressed.
[/quote]

Be patient - Ours started low and has just kept getting better - 6500 miles now, and sometimes we get as high as 30mpg!! It takes a while to break in, but you will love the improvements you see. thumbs up
jmotank

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 03:15:46 AM »

our acadia got the stabilatrak malfunction and traction control malfunction at the same time. my wife took it in friday morning. they told her it was some sort of sensor issue and that they didn't have the part in stock. it would have to be ordered and would be mid week some time before it got here. is this a common issue? kinda bothered me considering we've only had it for less than 5 months! Shocked
tuffsubject

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »

I also had this condition at 1,987 miles on the odometer (2008, SLT, 3.6L) -- the alarm bell rang and the display continuously toggled between two messages:  SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL and SERVICE STABILITRAK.  I contacted OnStar and they found 3 diagnostic codes:  1) the ABS is not functioning, 2) the Traction Control / Stabilitrak is disabled, and 3) the engine control module is malfunctioning.  For #3, they recommended service by the next day.

Upon turning off the ignition and restarting, the errors went away.  But then came back on a later drive that day.  So I took it in for service yesterday (10/10/2007).

When serviced, they called me and told me the engine oil looked dirty for such low mileage and needs to be changed, and they performed a software update.  On the service ticket, the text was "CUSTOMER CONCERN WAS NOT DUPLICATED.  FOUND CODE POO21 (sic) FOR CAM ACTUATOR PERF.  COULD NOT FIND ANY FAULTS WITH TECH 2 CALLED TAC THAY (sic) SAID TO CHANGE OIL CLEAR CODE THEN SEE IF IT RETURNS.  IT SHOULD FIX CAM PHASERS IN ENGINE DUE TO THEM HAVING TINY SCREENS IN THEM FRESH OIL SHOULD LET THEM MOVE MORE FREELY. PERFORMED RECALL 07217 REFLASHED THE PCM/TCM".

I've gotta say, I was a bit surprised to hear "change the oil" as the solution, but I realize these days engines are much more high-tech than yesterday, and run well only under very precise specifications.  I'm not sure (and I didn't ask) if the oil viscosity was the issue, or that it had excessive contaminants in it.  If it was viscosity, I am curious why they used 10W30 oil for the replacement (5W30 is recommended).  If contaminated with debris, I'm curious why the filter would not have prevented that -- and wonder if the "tiny screens" in the cam phasers might be clogged.

2008 Acadia SLT
Quantify

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 01:36:51 PM »

My wife also got the Stabilitrak Malfunction warning while stopped at a red light...when she put her foot on the gas the car wouldn't move.  She shut off and restarted the car and everything was fine, the warning went away later in the day.  We brought the car in today, will see what happens.

On a different message board, the posters noted that this problem seems to appear if the gear selector is between D and L.  Either the driver can miss D, or the cable can be loose and make the trans "think" the selector is between notches.  In either case, the fix is simple...1) be careful when you shift, or 2) tighten the cable.

In our case, my wife thinks she well may have moved the selector past D...she was in a rush leaving the store.
NY_Joe
1st Acadia Forum Mod
Global Moderator

Acadia owner since 3/1/07

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 02:27:03 PM »

The search funtion is your friend.

Read this thread.

Near bottom of pg1 I describe the D to L  shifter issue.  Later on I give the pcode it spit out.

I also explain the cause, the fix and why GM won't do it unless they can duplicate it. thumbs up

2007 Red Jewel Acadia SLT-2 DVD, NAV, HID,HUD,Dual Roof, Cargo Control, Trailer pkg, 19's, Bench seat,Roof Rails,Winter Mats,Mud Guards,Cargo Mat, GM/THULE Cargo Box (added 7/14)
2006 VW Passat 4 Motion-Candy White/Black -Prem 1-AWD
tomw

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 05:05:21 PM »

NY Joe

What thread are you referring to?

Thanks,

Tom Smiley

Carbon/Ebony SLT-2 w/Nav, HUD, HID,Sunroof, and 19" wheels. -Replaced 2004 Envoy

2006 Honda Odyssey -Touring
1991 Harley Davidson Sportster 883
casstone

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 01:57:10 PM »

I also had this condition at 1,987 miles on the odometer (2008, SLT, 3.6L) -- the alarm bell rang and the display continuously toggled between two messages:  SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL and SERVICE STABILITRAK.  I contacted OnStar and they found 3 diagnostic codes:  1) the ABS is not functioning, 2) the Traction Control / Stabilitrak is disabled, and 3) the engine control module is malfunctioning.  For #3, they recommended service by the next day.

I just had the exact same thing happen.  Picked up the Acadia Friday night.  Four days later I'm in a loaner vehicle.  Hopefully this isn't an indication of what I can expect down the road.

Love the Acadia, just bummed I'm driving a stripped down Suburban instead of my new vehicle.   
mscappa

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 10:39:55 PM »

NY Joe

What thread are you referring to?

Thanks,

Tom Smiley

this one:
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=869.20
casstone

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 07:19:50 PM »

I picked up my car last night, and the problem seems to be solved (knock on wood). 

They replaced the cam position sensor. Huh? 

I guess there are many things that can cause the "Service Stabilitrak" malfunction, even though they may have nothing to do with the Stabilitrak.
mrvids

Dark Crimson Owner Group Member #2

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 03:40:37 PM »

Our Acadia had the same issues with stabilitrak/traction control warning. 1st time I think they just reset the computer, the 2nd time in they replaced the cam sensor actuator is what they told me, one week later the problem returned so it's currently in for the 3rd time for the same problem. What suggestions hould I make to they can fix it? It's been at the dealership for a week this time and I really would like it fixed correctly this time. Ideas, thoughts, suggestions? They said they've been in contact with GM but that was Tuesday and today is Friday, still not fixed.
mrvids

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 10:54:07 AM »

Here's the latest, the service tech tells me they're replacing the cam to fix the stabiltrak problem.  When asked how they are connected, he tells me the cam causes a mis-fire which then tells the "service stabilitrak and traction control" lights to come on. Cams are currently on order.
mrvids

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 02:19:53 PM »

All 4 cams are on backorder through the dealership, as of today I've been Acadia-less for 9 days with no end in sight.  confused
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories