Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
October 21, 2014, 03:03:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! More info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acadia vs Yukon  (Read 21122 times, 27 Replies)
pixiestix

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 11:56:04 PM »

Does anyone know the cargo room behind second row for both vehicles and also behind third row of XL Model?
vic49

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2007, 09:06:27 AM »

Had the Yukon XL Denali for 4 years. I loved it, BUT the gas was killing us. Acadia seems roomier inside especially the 2nd and 3rd row seating. I have captains in second row and and had bench in Denali. Plenty of room in cargo area with seats down. Did you test drive the Acadia yet?
caddycruiser

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 09:16:15 AM »

Does anyone know the cargo room behind second row for both vehicles and also behind third row of XL Model?

Yep, taken directly from GMC's site, all in cu. ft.:

Behind 3rd row:
Acadia: 19.7
Yukon: 16.9
Yukon XL: 45.8

3rd row folded, behind 2nd row:
Acadia: 68.9
Yukon: 60.3
Yukon XL: 90.0

Both 2nd and 3rd rows folded:
Acadia: 116.9
Yukon: 108.9
Yukon XL: 137.4

VERDICT: The Yukon XL/Suburban is huge inside and out, mainly just due to the bus-like length.  We have an '04 Suburban, and it's still almost shocking when you open the hatch and see how far away the 3rd row still actually is from it, and that's great for cargo.  But, at the same time, with a full separate frame and having to leave vertical room for the live axle rear suspension to move, the 3rd row is clumsy and a pain to remove.  STILL, when push comes to shove, if you need maximum space all seats up or down, these are the choice.

The Yukon/Tahoe is the same as the longer "bus" model above, save for having 20" sliced out.  This makes them pretty maneuverable and just a lot shorter in comparison, but at the same time, having to still deal with the full separate frame and rear live axle, the 3rd row is not only almost against the rear hatch, but the bottom cushion is right on the floor with no lower foot well, and it's just uncomfortable.  These are mainly 5-seater vehicles, or at least should be, with the 3rd in a pinch.  But clearly, if you want cargo and people space, not the choice.

Then we have the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave.  Dimensionally, they fall right between a Yukon/Tahoe and a Yukon XL/Suburban.  Actually, outside, they're about the same as a Tahoe/Yukon, but still look larger and the inside is COMPLETELY different and able to be packaged so much more openly, that they're just huge inside in comparison.  Credit the lack of a full separate frame here, the transversely mounted engine allowing the cabin to be pushed up further and the nose shortened, and the all independent suspension that barely intrudes on that inside space.  In all respects, the Lambdas are very much like a large minivan, both in seat size and layout, and the room you get behind the last seat.

Hence, it's easy to see why the Lambdas continue to sell so well, even with a few niggles (such as comments on the rear seats being low).  We have an '04 Suburban, just because there's 4 of us AND 3 dogs AND all of their stuff, and once in a blue moon load it floor to ceiling with stuff, but otherwise, it is overkill for daily use.  Great to know that capability is there, but still, very large.  So, finally, with prodding from me, the queen mother will now finally be looking at an Acadia (or one of the other two), because it's starting to get that "itch" time.
caddycruiser

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 09:20:17 AM »

Had the Yukon XL Denali for 4 years. I loved it, BUT the gas was killing us. Acadia seems roomier inside especially the 2nd and 3rd row seating. I have captains in second row and and had bench in Denali. Plenty of room in cargo area with seats down. Did you test drive the Acadia yet?

My thoughts too, with the Suburban.  Actually, for the size, weight, and power, the gas mileage isn't that bad, realistically (but we do have a 5.3L and 2wd, which makes a difference), but I didn't feel a lack at all in terms of the Acadias space when I've played with them.

The lack of instrusive big frame underneath and cubic feet hogging rear live axle just pay dividends--in addition to some of the best packaging ever to come out of GM.  The fact that a Yukon and an Acadia, for example, are so similar in outside length but so vastly different inside just goes to show it.
pixiestix

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2007, 10:08:01 AM »

Thanks for all the great info.
I too, have a suburban (03). Which I love.... But it is huge....
We have a family of 5 and 3 dogs as well.... We head off to the lake in the summer many weekends and the suburban is FULL...... I have tested out the acadia 3 times and the cargo space looks roomy and the dimensions say that it is big, it's just so deceiving looking at the outside of it.......
Like my husband said, we'll make do with whatever we are driving ( just less crap to take to the lake if it all doesn't fit!)
Mama2girls+ababy!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007, 12:14:24 PM »

Like my husband said, we'll make do with whatever we are driving ( just less crap to take to the lake if it all doesn't fit!)

It's like a bigger home - just more rooms and closets to keep crap.  Like it is possible to go on vacation for a week with just a carry-on but people over-pack because they can. My dad's new wife's daughter (I hate calling her my step sister) drives a Suburban and would never dream of giving it up. But, when they go to the cabin or beach, they pack their entire home with them.  I find that incredibly unnecessary for me but it works for them.  with 3 kids and 3 dogs they take everywhere, well, I guess it works for them.   

I've been schlepping my family in an accord for 7 years.  An Accord trunk is deceptively large and I know it is larger than the 3rd row cargo space of the Acadia.  But, at least we can fold down a portion of the 3rd row or go roof rack or whatever.

Finally decided.  2007 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES. Dark Cherry Pearl, Ivory Leather interior.  (Though I still secretly lust after the Acadia.)
caddycruiser

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2007, 12:59:57 PM »

Yeah, having gone from a minivan (great) to a car a few years back (bad decision, and never worked space-wise, at least on trips), to an Avalanche, and then to a Suburban...once you're used to it, you almost can't ever go back DOWN in size.  They aren't that huge in constant use, and you can just do so much at a moments notice--well, except for having to remove and stick the stupid 3rd row somewhere--they're incredibly useful.

If price and such were never an issue, we'd likely continue driving one...and who knows, maybe will.
big bear craig
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007, 01:08:02 PM »

It's like a bigger home - just more rooms and closets to keep crap.  Like it is possible to go on vacation for a week with just a carry-on but people over-pack because they can. My dad's new wife's daughter (I hate calling her my step sister) drives a Suburban and would never dream of giving it up. But, when they go to the cabin or beach, they pack their entire home with them.  I find that incredibly unnecessary for me but it works for them.  with 3 kids and 3 dogs they take everywhere, well, I guess it works for them.   

I've been schlepping my family in an accord for 7 years.  An Accord trunk is deceptively large and I know it is larger than the 3rd row cargo space of the Acadia.  But, at least we can fold down a portion of the 3rd row or go roof rack or whatever.

That's it the more room you have the more you find it necessary to pack it full of crap.  That would hold true for a house, storage shed, garage, car and any other thing we might be able to fill up.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories