Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
December 22, 2014, 02:24:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Acadiaforum Window Decals are now available!  Order Here

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Rotation  (Read 6386 times, 20 Replies)
dolphin

Happy Acadia Owner

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2007, 08:49:29 PM »

Bought my Acadia used last week with 5700 miles on it.  Registered it with OnStar and the only thing that seems to be in error is that they say i need a tire rotation allready.  The BMW Dealer told me they did an extensive $150 preparation which included tire rotation.  If i just relearn the tire pressures after checking the pressures will this satisfy the tire sensor test or must they be reset by a dealer.  i am from the old school that says it costs more to rotate tires than to buy new ones when the old ones need it at about 10% less miles. 
Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Love the Dark Blue SLT-2 FWD.
mitchl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 09:35:13 PM »

I don't know about how to reset the OnStar indicators for rotation.  Relearning sensors is an easy task, so you might as well try that.

I am not crazy about rotating tires every 6k miles, I probably do it about every 12k on my Mustang or so.  are you saying you don't generally rotate at all?  I would think that is a little unwise as the treadwear is different for the different positions, especially with a FWD car where steering, propulsion and braking all are centered on those front wheels.  I think that 10% improvement in life is a little conservative, it you are really on with rotations and making sure your pressures are right, you can probably get a 20% improvement in life (or diminish life by 20% if neglecting the tires).

And I am not sure about the cost thing.  It doesn't cost that much when you do your oil changes to rotate tires, $20-30 I think is common, but a lot of time I find I can do it with coupons from the new dealers, and when I buy a set of tires, then rotation is generally free for the life of the tires.  Also if tires don't reach their warranty life, if you have not rotated correctly, it may affect the amount of pro-rated credit you get for the worn tires.

2012 Nissan Altima - Purch May 2012
2012 Nissan Frontier - Purch May 2012
2007 GMC Acadia FWD SLT2, Deep Blue, Titanium Leather, 2Row Bench, DVD, HUD. -- Ord Feb 07, Delivered Apr 07, Traded May 12
2008 White Mustang- V6 Pony Package, Tan Leather, 5 Speed.  Purch Jun 08, Traded May 12
teetertotter
Acadia Freak

Family, NRA .22 Rifle Comp, Golf, USAF Veteran

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 07:08:10 AM »

I rotate tires every 10K, keep 40 lbs front and 36 rear in my cars I have had over the years.  I have never gone by factory recommended pressures and the treads have always worn even.  I probably get a little better mpg too. 

New 14', SLT-1#37, Silver#30, FWD, Nav w Intelilink
Tier 1, Pennzoil PP, Ziebart Rustproof & Underbody
Previous: 07' Acadia, 12' Terrain
rudykizuty

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 09:16:49 AM »

True, the long term savings in tire life are nominal, but rotating them isn't about extending tire life alone. Moreso, it is about keeping the treadwear even around all four points of contact on the road.

Due to an extensive number of factors, the front tires on any vehicle invariably wear at a faster rate than those in the rear. Things like added weight to bear due to engine location, bearing the lion's share vehicle brake force weight, accelerated wear due to directional steering, etc., etc. It doesn't seem wise to me that the tires with the MOST extensive wear should be the ones consistently subjected to ALL of those forces.

There's a lot of places where I may tend to be frugal, but tires are not among the things I would skimp on. It is the one and only place where the 4000+ lbs. I'm being hauled around in meets the road. Ultimately, there's a reason why tire rotation is recommended, and that reason lies in this one question I ask myself..............is my personal safety worth the few extra bucks? 

Answer: Of course. If fate has it that I die in an accident, it won't be because I had crappy tires up front. Besides, once I'm dead, I won't be able to spend the money I saved anyhoo. 

Sorry for the long thread. I'll get off the pulpit now!!   BlahBlah

2007 SLE Carbon Metallic, FWD, XM, Bose, Remote Start, Rear Parking Assist.
dolphin

Happy Acadia Owner

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 09:58:15 AM »

Thanks Everybody.

Its just that are a couple of old farts that don't put over 6000 on our cars a year.  Just upgraded to a 2007 DTS and SLT-2.  Now OnStar tells us that we don't need oil change for 12000 miles based on their computers (not the old 3000 change of yesteryear).  I've heard so many pro's and con's about tire rotation.  We trade every 3-4 years and there is always lots of tread on the tires with no cupping or excessive wear but cracks starting to form due to age I guess.  Now they want to put nitrogen in them as well as rotate and balance and relearn the sensors so it seems like a lot of expense that just might not be necessary.  Gas isn't getting any cheaper and we do need a little money left for Scotch and a little pleasure on our retirement incomes. Beer Cheers

Appreciate all your input.
rudykizuty

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 12:36:28 PM »

we do need a little money left for Scotch and a little pleasure on our retirement incomes. Beer Cheers

I apologize for not recognizing that we may be in totally different places. I'm still running the rat race every day out on the killer highways so I can have the pleasure of getting to the office and being chained to my desk. Have had a few bad accidents in my day that were no fault of my own that still make me shiver when I think about them. On one hand, I feel like I'm living on borrowed time, and on the other I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I live to see retirement someday  Grin 

Anyway........Have a Scotch for me, will ya?  And enjoy!!  CHEERS!!   Cheers

2007 SLE Carbon Metallic, FWD, XM, Bose, Remote Start, Rear Parking Assist.
mitchl

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »

Well the oil change thing is another issue entirely! 

I have never been at the lube shop every 3k miles.  Manufacturers for every new car I have had have recommended the shortest milage interval being 4500miles, but usually it is about 6k miles- and that is in the maintenance book you get.  I will go 6-8k fairly often. 

But with the Acadia, before we took our 3000 mile trip, I did have the oil changed with only 3200 miles on the odo.  Now extrapolating out the oil life monitor, it will require another oil change at about 16-17k miles.  Without trips, that will take 2 years for my wife to put on the car, I just don't see going more than a year between oil changes.  I am thinking that as the car reaches 8-9 months old, it is time for the next change (6 months from the last oil change) and the first rotation at that point.

2012 Nissan Altima - Purch May 2012
2012 Nissan Frontier - Purch May 2012
2007 GMC Acadia FWD SLT2, Deep Blue, Titanium Leather, 2Row Bench, DVD, HUD. -- Ord Feb 07, Delivered Apr 07, Traded May 12
2008 White Mustang- V6 Pony Package, Tan Leather, 5 Speed.  Purch Jun 08, Traded May 12
shogun95

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 01:46:14 PM »

When it comes to tire rotation and wear, be very careful when thinking that you want the best tires on the front. An auto rag a couple of years ago had an article showing that  having better tires on the front was actually quite dangerous in winter driving and in rain.  If the front has much better traction around a curve, the rear will try to come around on you.  I know we have stability control to help prevent that, but there is only so much it can do on ice or during hydroplaning.  One of the guys at work found that out the hard way just one week after replacing his front tires only.  He spun in a rain storm going around an interstate curve and totalled the car.  Even wear/traction is important.
big bear craig
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 02:48:18 PM »

I rotate my tires to get more even tire wear.  I want the whole tire to wear out not just the part of the tire that is getting the most abuse at that location.  When I replace my tires all four tires are worn about the same.  The owners manual tells how to reset the sensors.  It's not hard and takes about 10 minutes.  You will need a way to put air in the tires to reset the sensors though.

Oil changes are cheap insurance and I do them on a regular basis according to my driving habits during that change interval.  If I have been driving in real hot weather, pulling a trailer, lots of short trips or stop and go driving I will change it more often.  If I put all the miles on a long trip with little stress on the engine I will go longer, but never beyond 6000 miles.  I have never worn an engine out on any car I have owned, and I usually will keep them well past 200,000 miles.  If the car didn't use oil when it was new it still will not be using much when I sell it.  If you take care of them they will last a very long time.  Spending $45,000 on a new car every four years would be throwing my money away in my opinion.
dolphin

Happy Acadia Owner

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 03:18:10 PM »

Maybe I should just close my eyes and get the oil changed, tires rotated, and and inspection done once a year.  Getting so old that maybe if I get it detailed and have some new car smell deoderant sprayed in I will think I have a new car.  Just have to stop listening to dealers and use common sense.

Thanks again everybody
DenaliTech

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 08:44:07 PM »

Tires should be rotated every 6K miles.  I have noticed some trucks will slightly feather the tires, even when properly aligned.  A PROPER rotation will even it out.

Support your local dealer, they are their to assist.

2007 Denali XL fully optioned
2005 CBR 600RR

GM "World Class Technician"
big bear craig
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 10:38:58 AM »

This exactly why I rotate mine.  When the tires have not been rotated for a lot of miles they get noisy.  By keeping the tire wear uniform the car drives much quieter.
Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »

What is the proper tire rotation pattern for the Acadia?

2009 GMC Acadia SLE, FWD.              
Quicksilver/Titanium, Convenience/     
Preferred/Visibility/Trailering.
SAC Member
bonk1313
Hey members, Update your signatures with vehicle details. And post some pics of your ACADIA to share.
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

Carbon Black 2008 GMC Acadia SLT 2 Ebony 2-2-3

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 02:14:18 PM »

What is the proper tire rotation pattern for the Acadia?

Good ? I just got back from NTB having rotation and alignment done, and didnt think to ask Huh?

19's,2xSky,Trailering,GM HR DVD,Husky Liners,Bully Imposter GI51 Grille,Cargo Rails
Built 9/07,5/8 FLASH,XD XTREME 4300K HID KIT,Putco LED Interior Lights,
GeoHawk
Thread Killer
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

GeoHawk no function beer well without

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 03:48:43 PM »

I've always brought the back tires up keeping them on the same sides, and cross the fronts when taking them to the rear, but apparently GM thinks it should be the opposite:

08 Acadia FWD SLT-2 Liquid Silver/Brick, 105K miles (Built 8/24/07 - Mine 9/7/07) - Wave Plate Victim at 66,000 miles
07 Silverado CC 4x4 LTZ 6.0L, 220K miles (Built 2/19/07 - Mine 2/28/07)
09 G5 5-spd (Built 11/10/08 - Mine 7/10/12)
14 Cruze 2LT/RS 6-spd (Built 2/26/14 - Mine 3/22/14)
GAR
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 04:04:19 PM »

The odd thing is that every time I take my cars for tire rotation, they keep the left on the left and the right on the right and just go front to back.  They have never crossed the tires like the manuals say.   Huh?

2008 Acadia SLT-1 AWD Red Jewel w/Titanium, Convenience PKG, DVD, 8 pass, Heated Washer. Delivery on 9/17/2007. May 8th Transmission Update 9/24/2008.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
2002 Chevy Tracker 4WD ZR2
BOBBO
Acadia Guru

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 04:19:30 PM »

Call me a blasphemer if you want, but the 1995 GMC Jimmy I had before I got my Acadia got 77,000 miles on its first set of tires and 77,000 miles on the second set and was going strong on the third set after 35,000 miles, and I never once rotated the tires.  I checked the treadwear occasionally and tire pressures frequently.  But no rotating.  And no problems.

With the Acadia I'll be checking often to see if its tires present any different wear behavior or problems.  If I notice anything that suggests a need to rotate, I'll do it then.

2009 Acadia SLT-2 AWD, 8 pass., Red Jewel Tintcoat, Light Titanium, Bose radio/NAV. Ordered on 8/29/08; delivered on 10/10/08.
gurufly

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 10:33:09 PM »

Blasphemer!  Grin

Hard to believe you never rotated them. Even once in a while? 15k? 30K? 50k?Huh? Wow.

2008 SLT-1, AWD, Liquid Silver Metallic, Ebony Leather, Power Liftgate, Convenience, and Dual Sunroofs
Silver Acadia Club Member #6
2008 Chevy Equinox LT, AWD, Black
BOBBO
Acadia Guru

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 10:42:36 PM »

Nope.  Not even once.  Michelins came on it and were what I had Sears put on each time as replacements.  It will be interesting to see what kind of mileage I get out of the tires that came on the Acadia.  Being larger in diameter (18" vs 15"), theoretically they should go even farther before I need new ones. 

2009 Acadia SLT-2 AWD, 8 pass., Red Jewel Tintcoat, Light Titanium, Bose radio/NAV. Ordered on 8/29/08; delivered on 10/10/08.
3rd Timer

Good day,eh!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 11:51:11 PM »

I rotate mine on all my rides every 5K. Change my Amsoil and Amsoil Filter every 10k with no problems.  And my dealer sends me free tire rotation coupons and they call me every month to see if we are happy.  Just give me MORE mid-range HP and I'll shud up!

Click here for AMSOIL - Superior Protection!
Amsoil Wholesale pricing and delivery to your door - ask me how!
'07 Escalade BABY... 403HP of pure joy!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories