Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
July 25, 2014, 09:45:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Acadia? Check out the all new GMC Terrain at http://www.TerrainForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shake/Vibration from 65 mph and higher  (Read 6749 times, 23 Replies)
tk

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2012, 08:36:18 AM »

Hello ALL - I have a 2007 GMC Acadia (SLE AWD) - New struts 1 year ago. New tires (balanced) and aligned 1 week ago. I am still getting a vibration (side to side) staring around 65 mph in my center console and floor board.  Slightly in the steering wheel but I think that is just from the vehicle shaking.  Any thoughts on what this could be?
I know search the forum.  I did. Just looking for a solution. Bang Head

GMC Acadia AWD/SLE Carbon Black Metallic- (2nd row captains-remote start-rear parking assist) May 08 trans update - 4 piece chrome mesh grill
capecodacadia
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 09:00:37 AM »

Did you have this vibration prior to the new tires? If so, it could be anything from a funky rotor to a motor mount.
You didn't mention a fresh 4 wheel alignment with the new sneakers, was that done? Not trying to insult you but,
are you sure the tires are the correct size?
Tire balancing is an art, Sears, NTW, Joe's Tire Barn, etc, these guys do lousy jobs. Have a good friend recently
b!tch about vibration after new tires installed/4 wheel alignment in a '10 Slade. He drives the car likes its stolen,
just like me. Recommended he take the slade to a performance shop for balancing, worked like a charm. YMMV.

An 07 is 6 years old now. If the tires are quality, properly balanced, 4 wheel alignment has been done... you're
looking at a funky rotor, motor mount(s), a bad pulley, who knows. I'd start with 4 wheel alignment (yes/no) and
balancing at a good shop, go from there.

2008 Acadia SLT2 (AWD) - Deep Blue Metallic with Titanium leather - HID, HUD, XM, OnStar, dual moon roofs, touch screen NAV w/rear view camera, entertainment package (DVD/Bose), remote start... but no darn ashtray! Build date 28Aug07
GMC Customer Service
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:16:32 AM »

@tk, another thing you could try is to contact the place that did the balancing a week ago.  I can only speak from personal experience, but when I have this type of thing happen with a vehicle I use to own, the company was glad to check this out free of charge since it was within 30 days of having the new tires and balance performed.

Please, let us know how things are going with this.  Vibrations can be such an annoying concern to figure out with all the small parts that are in the vehicles these days.

Michelle, GMC Customer Service
tk

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:26:40 AM »

I did have the vibration with the old tires.  Had them rebalanced at the dealer.  Helped a little but was still there.  And I do have the correct size tires (Continental), and don't worry - I'm not offended.  I will start AGAIN with a better balance hoping that is the problem.  It's just odd that it does not start vibrating until 65mph.  Smooth as butter below those speeds.  

Suspension is all tight - just had it looked at.  I can have them check the motor mounts.  There is a TSB 07147 for the prop bolts, could even be that.

Thanks for your input capecodacadia, appreciate it.

GMC Acadia AWD/SLE Carbon Black Metallic- (2nd row captains-remote start-rear parking assist) May 08 trans update - 4 piece chrome mesh grill
tk

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »

Thanks Michelle - I'm having them check the balance again on Thursday along with the motor mounts - wheel bearings - brakes.  Then the drive shaft is coming out so the balance can be checked along with the U-joints and bolts.  This is driving me NUTS.

XRDreamliner

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:32:34 AM »

Thanks Michelle - I'm having them check the balance again on Thursday along with the motor mounts - wheel bearings - brakes.  Then the drive shaft is coming out so the balance can be checked along with the U-joints and bolts.  This is driving me NUTS.

When you feel the vibration in the console, and not so much in the steering, it indicates some issue with the rear wheels vs. the front.  You may have a bad wheel bearing in one of the rear wheel positions, especially since the vibration doesn't start until 65 mph.

2009 Outlook XR AWD
Cocoa Brown w/Tan
Build Date: 11/08
Purchase Date:  Feb 2010 w/19K miles

2008 Audi RS4 Cabriolet

2003 Audi A4 Quattro
GMC Customer Service
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »

No problem!  Please, let me know how things are going with this.

I hope you are able to enjoy your holiday weekend.

klah2u

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 07:50:20 PM »

When you feel the vibration in the console, and not so much in the steering, it indicates some issue with the rear wheels vs. the front.  You may have a bad wheel bearing in one of the rear wheel positions, especially since the vibration doesn't start until 65 mph.

I agree with XRDreamliner, having worked for a GM-H dealer in Australia this is an easy diagnosis method we used to localise where the vibration is being generated. The combination of floor pan vibration and speed of vehicle when it occurs would indicate rear driveline or tire balance issue.

MY2007 SLT1 White Diamond Tricoat
capecodacadia
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »

TK, *HAVE* you done a 4 wheel alignment with the new tires?

2008 Acadia SLT2 (AWD) - Deep Blue Metallic with Titanium leather - HID, HUD, XM, OnStar, dual moon roofs, touch screen NAV w/rear view camera, entertainment package (DVD/Bose), remote start... but no darn ashtray! Build date 28Aug07
tk

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 10:23:45 AM »

capecodacaia - Yes, I did a 4 wheel alignment after the tires were put on and balanced.  It really wasn't out that bad at all.  I will have them do an alignment again in a few months.  Going in the shop tomorrow so I'll keep everyone updated.  I have a list of things for them to check.  (rear tire re-balance - wheel bearings - brakes - motor mounts - drive shaft - carrier bearings - prop bolts)  Thank you all again.

theclarkfam

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »

TK,

Mine will be going into the shop next friday for the same issue. I had the vibration/shake before the alignment and new tires (Contenentals) and it's still present just more quiet now. I wonder what they will find on your vehicle.
Snoguy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 11:49:31 PM »

Continental CrossContact LX20 tires seem to be getting a lot of bad user reviews due to vibration/balance problems, including Lambda owners, at Tirerack.com & Tirebuyer.com.

Dave

2008 AWD SLT-2 Blue Gold Met/Ebony, 18", NAV, HUD, XM, Built 11/07
2004 Toyota Highlander AWD Ltd
GMC Customer Service
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »

theclarkfam, please, let me know how things turn out with your visit on Friday.

tk

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 08:50:51 AM »

Well, I sent two tires back to Tire Rack (said they were bad) and got two more.  Speed balanced and still the same problem.  My kid's seats in the second row buckets are shaking between 62 and 75 mph.  Lower speeds are like butter and around 80 mph gets smoother too.   I guess it's time to try the drive shaft.  If that's not the problem, I don't know what to do.  Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.  Also, thank you to those who have chimed in already.

XRDreamliner

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 09:29:59 AM »

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.  Also, thank you to those who have chimed in already.

If you can jack up each rear wheel, I would do a wheel bearing check - grab the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and attempt to rock the wheel, and then repeat this step at 3 and 9 o'clock.  There should be no movement.

The Acadia doesn't have a classic driveshaft set-up for driving the rear wheels - it's a differential carrier with a clutch.  At least the differential carrier assembly is covered by the 5 yr/100k powertrain warranty, provided you are still within the time and mileage limits.

2009 Outlook XR AWD
Cocoa Brown w/Tan

2008 Audi RS4 Cabriolet

2003 Audi A4 Quattro
tk

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »

Had it up on the lift and all wheel bearings and suspension parts are good and tight. FML facepalm

tk

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »

Here we go AGAIN - Back to the Dealership tomorrow morning.

tk

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:50 AM »

HOLY S@#* - It was the tires.  Those Continentals are having a ton of problems.  Got a great deal on the OE tires from the Dealership believe it or not.  $235 (that included mount and balance) + a $100 rebate.  OH HOW GREAT IS IS NOT TO HAVE THE SHAKES.........

capecodacadia
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 09:48:26 AM »

HOLY S@#* - It was the tires.  Those Continentals are having a ton of problems.  Got a great deal on the OE tires from the Dealership believe it or not.  $235 (that included mount and balance) + a $100 rebate.  OH HOW GREAT IS IS NOT TO HAVE THE SHAKES.........

$235 for how many tires?

XRDreamliner

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 10:53:31 AM »

HOLY S@#* - It was the tires.  Those Continentals are having a ton of problems. 

I've had this issue in the past, too.  I guess I was initially thrown off by your initial statement that you had a shake prior to the initial new tires getting installed.  Glad to hear it's worked out in the end.

2009 Outlook XR AWD
Cocoa Brown w/Tan

2008 Audi RS4 Cabriolet

2003 Audi A4 Quattro
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories