Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
April 19, 2014, 08:37:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Acadiaforum Window Decals are now available!  Order Here

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5w-30 to 5w-20.  (Read 3356 times, 11 Replies)
pinoyxprss

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2012, 10:51:42 PM »

Is there any harm on this.. I was changing oil and about halfway through the 5.1 qt i realized the darn thing is 5w-20 instead if 5w-30...  Now i can just drain it again and get the right one but is there any harm if i keep it since i already poured it in?

Thanks for any input on this.
Jeff95TA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 07:34:20 AM »

I would drain it and use the recommended weight/viscoity oil.  Bearing clearances are set up for a certain oil type.  Would you be okay with 5W-20 if you kept an eye on oil pressure (I can't remember if we actually have that gauge in the Acadia)?  Probably.  But I wouldn't chance it.

2011 Acadia SLE AWD - Quicksilver, Ebony, DVD Entertainment System, Trailer Package, Sunroof
2008 Acadia SLT-1 - Summit White, Ebony, Convenience Package, DVD, Power Liftgate, HUD, Removal of Front License Plate Bracket!
2010 Mustang GT
1995 Trans Am - 383 stroker
pinoyxprss

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »

Theres no oil pressure guage, i finished oil change... Seem fine but i guess i can drain and replace oil.. Do i have to replace filter again or can i leave it ?  Its such a pain to replace and it makes a whole lot of mess. =D
MA Acadia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »

I would leave it in and just change it a little early next time, most engines still spec 5w-30 or 10W-40 for oil so I wouldn't think it is that big of deal. If you car speced 20W-50 I would say that is a little too much of a change but again that is just my opinion and do whatever you feel is right.

The first number is how thick the oil is when cold and the last number indicates how think the oil will be when hot. The 5W-20 would be better to run in the cooler weather as it is thinner, considering you are in CA and it will be hot I wouldn't tow a trailer with the 5W-20 oil in it. Many MFG's now spec spec the 5W-20 to get better MPG's as a thinner oil has less drag on the motor.

Do a google search and you will get 50% thats says it okay and 50% that says don't do it. I used to run 10W-40 Mobil 1 in my 2003 Corvette ZO6 as I would take it out on track days and the oil temp would be over 300 degrees on hot days. The manual called for 5W-30 but I felt better running the thicker oil in the hot weather, some people at the track also ran 20W-50 without a problem but again do whatever you feel is right.

2010 Red Jewel Acadia SLT-2 FWD, Cashmere Interior, Sunroof, Cooled Seats.
2010 Corvette Grand Sport
2007 Miata
pinoyxprss

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 01:05:15 PM »

Thnx for the input, i did google and read a lot of post, theres not much difference on 5/20 and 5/30 so i'll leave it.
MedicRxDoc
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:15:49 PM »

I don't know if it would be worth the hassel, but you could drain some out and then top off with a thicker 5W40.  There are visocisity calculators on the internet....I don't know how much you would have to drain off or if it would be worthwile.

I would leave it in then change out at 3 or 4 K.  I picked up a gallon bottle of Penz Ultra 5w20 for $7 on clearance and plan on using that in mine down the road....I just have some older oils to use up first.  I will top off with a 5W40 to "thicken" it up a tad.

2007 Liquid Silver Acadia
2003 Ford Excursion 7.3 L Diesel
Snoguy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »

Is there any harm on this.. I was changing oil and about halfway through the 5.1 qt i realized the darn thing is 5w-20 instead if 5w-30...  Now i can just drain it again and get the right one but is there any harm if i keep it since i already poured it in?

Thanks for any input on this.
I'd say it's not a problem to use it for one drain interval. On my 04 Toyota V6, which initially had 5W30 oil called out, Toyota has officially changed the recommendation to allow 5W20 or 5W30, as well as for many other older Toyota engines(but not all).

Dave

2008 AWD SLT-2 Blue Gold Met/Ebony, 18", NAV, HUD, XM, Built 11/07
2004 Toyota Highlander AWD Ltd
Rat407

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:29:08 PM »

I ran a 5w-20 in our 08 Acadia with no issues and took it up to 4k miles.  The UOA showed that it did well and no more wear than when I ran the 5w-30.  The only issue that might come into play is the VVT, since it is hydraulic and runs off the engine oil and the engine is spec'ed for a 5w-30.

GerryL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 07:44:56 PM »

I would not run the 20w (and that is what it is for most of the time that the vehicle is running) oil in this vehicle considering that there has been some indication that there is a relationship between the timing chain issues and lubrication. Yes, the root of the lubrication issues would undoubtedly be a factory design issue in this case, but why aggrevate the situation by using sub standard oil viscosity.  There are certainly a few engines designed for these oils.  Mostly Japanese from what I can see, but it appears that 20w oil is all about eeking out the last MPG in government economy testing, as opposed to reliability.  I found it interesting that my Mazda specs out 5w-20 here in the US, but in every other country in the world they spec 5w-30 for the same engine.  Considering the coming warmer weather and the timing chain issues, I would change it to an oil within spec.  As they say....your mileage may vary......

2007 Acadia SLT2, AWD, Gold Mist/Brick
Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »

My wife's Pontiac Vibe has a Toyota 2.4 liter in it.
In the owner's manual Pontiac states 5W-30.
In the toyota Matrix manual it states 5W-20.

Exact same engine, trans, etc.....Go figure. 

I use Toyota's recommended 5W-20 as they are the engine manufacturer.

2009 GMC Acadia SLE, FWD.              
Quicksilver/Titanium, Convenience/     
Preferred/Visibility/Trailering.
SAC Member
GerryL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 06:06:46 PM »

My wife's Pontiac Vibe has a Toyota 2.4 liter in it.
In the owner's manual Pontiac states 5W-30.
In the toyota Matrix manual it states 5W-20.

Exact same engine, trans, etc.....Go figure. 

Interesting,  Any difference in engine warranty length between them?  Could even be that the few tenths mpg improvement was enough to make enough of a difference to round up a digit on one and not the other.

2007 Acadia SLT2, AWD, Gold Mist/Brick
Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »

GM is covering the drive train for 5/100,000

I think Toyota for 5/60,000

Regardless, that engine will run forever.

Even with 5,000 on the oil it looks great.

2009 GMC Acadia SLE, FWD.              
Quicksilver/Titanium, Convenience/     
Preferred/Visibility/Trailering.
SAC Member
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories