Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
July 31, 2014, 01:34:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! More info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '08 Acadia Transmission Wave plate  (Read 3268 times, 10 Replies)
BooPeter

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »

Well, I guess it was my turn for my '08 Acadia's transmission wave plate to fail at 72K miles. It is currently in the dealers shop. For those who have had this experience, is the wave plate replaced in kind by the dealer? That is, is there no design upgrade or change that was done in the repair to address the root cause of the failure? Did anyone get a new transmisson or just a replaced part with a latent design defect?
       Finally, would anyone buy another GM vehicle? Reason for this last question....also had the engine burn a piston head at 42K miles, various water leaks, AC issues to mention a few. Also, as an engineer, can't understand how one would deisgn a car in which changing a head light bulb requires dealer intervention and about $125.
Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 02:47:03 PM »

Sorry that you're one of the few who have had this problem!  so sad  Was your final question really necessary? thumbdown

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
tekwarrior

Go Blue Hens!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:11:49 PM »

Add me to the list of those that have experienced a transmission failure.

Yesterday, the transmission failed on the way to work. It first appeared to "slip" or fail to shift into higher gears as I accelerated, then flared to red line on several poor upshifts.

I was able to baby it to a safe area to stop. By that time, all forward and reverse gears were gone.

The dealer hasn't evaluated the cause as yet, but the symptoms mirror those described in various wave plate threads on this forum.

The good news is I have a great dealer and GM is handling all associated costs including rental (87k odometer).

Unfortunately, this isn't the first major mechanical failure that has beset this vehicle and I'm approaching the end of the powertrain warranty.

I love the Acadia driving experience. It's response is much like the Bonneville and 2nd gen Aurora from my past, and its "cozy" to my 6'7" frame.

2007 Acadia SLT-2, AWD, Carbon Metallic, Ebony Interior, All Options
GMC Customer Service
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:56:49 AM »

Add me to the list of those that have experienced a transmission failure.

Yesterday, the transmission failed on the way to work. It first appeared to "slip" or fail to shift into higher gears as I accelerated, then flared to red line on several poor upshifts.

I was able to baby it to a safe area to stop. By that time, all forward and reverse gears were gone.

The dealer hasn't evaluated the cause as yet, but the symptoms mirror those described in various wave plate threads on this forum.

The good news is I have a great dealer and GM is handling all associated costs including rental (87k odometer).

Unfortunately, this isn't the first major mechanical failure that has beset this vehicle and I'm approaching the end of the powertrain warranty.

I love the Acadia driving experience. It's response is much like the Bonneville and 2nd gen Aurora from my past, and its "cozy" to my 6'7" frame.

tekwarrior,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicles transmission.  Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership and when the vehicle has been fixed.  If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,
Caron, GM Customer Service 
Speleos
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »

Well, I guess it was my turn for my '08 Acadia's transmission wave plate to fail at 72K miles. It is currently in the dealers shop. For those who have had this experience, is the wave plate replaced in kind by the dealer? That is, is there no design upgrade or change that was done in the repair to address the root cause of the failure? Did anyone get a new transmisson or just a replaced part with a latent design defect?
       Finally, would anyone buy another GM vehicle? Reason for this last question....also had the engine burn a piston head at 42K miles, various water leaks, AC issues to mention a few. Also, as an engineer, can't understand how one would deisgn a car in which changing a head light bulb requires dealer intervention and about $125.

You, as an engineer, should understand this better than others.  Engineers are always trying to cram more crap into smaller places and use more cost-effective (dare I say cheaper) materials in construction of anything.  Funny how an engineer figured out how to answer a question on the forum and remained a 1-post wonder!   Shocked :Smiley

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
1995 Chevy C-2500
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »

Good point  thumbs up

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
BooPeter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »

Wow, you guys are tough.  My simple question was the how does a dealer typically repair the wave plate failure. I didn't want to knock anyone off his or her game by venting a bit. 

At any rate here is an update, the initial diagnosis of my wave plate failure by the dealer was incorrect. It turned out to be the shift solenoid. It was replaced under warranty in a day.
rbarrios
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »

the wave plate repair is done by takingthe trans apart- replacing the part- and doing a complete and thorough job of flushing the trans and lines to clear any debris that was generated.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Speleos
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »

Glad your repair was simple, Boo.  May your travels be many and your problems foo.  (That's few.  Sorry, had to make it rhyme!  Grin)

1995 Chevy C-2500
tekwarrior

Go Blue Hens!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 03:04:07 AM »

tekwarrior,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicles transmission.  Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership and when the vehicle has been fixed.  If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,

Thank you Caron.

GM & my dealer (Nucar GMC, Newark, DE) are handling my repair effectively and competently.

I was informed yesterday that the wave plate had indeed failed.

2007 Acadia SLT-2, AWD, Carbon Metallic, Ebony Interior, All Options
GMC Customer Service
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 05:07:51 PM »

Thank you Caron.

GM & my dealer (Nucar GMC, Newark, DE) are handling my repair effectively and competently.

I was informed yesterday that the wave plate had indeed failed.

You're welcome!  I am very happy to hear GM and the dealership are taking care of you.  If you have any problems please be sure to let me know. 

Thank you,
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories