Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
July 25, 2014, 07:16:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Acadia Sales Numbers:    Sept: 5,287      YTD Total: 62,013      All Time: 323,333  (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Key is stuck in ignition.  (Read 11392 times, 19 Replies)
sidewazzz

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »

Today I jumped into the truck put the key in and went to put it into drive...From park to drive there was a slite hang up and the button you have to engage almost felt like it was stuck. Well it went into drive and off I went... when I went to put it into park there is now a major hang up to the point were you have to force it into park. When it goes into park the button will not disengauge and now the key is stuck.

2009 acaida
55,000 miles
Only problem that I've had is the time chain sencor being triggered.
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:15:53 PM »

Sounds like the lockout button is going out, not sure how you will get the key out

Sent from my iPhone 3G S using Tapatalk

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:26:23 PM »

Years ago I had a similar problem with an 01 Grand Prix.  Turns out it was a common occurrence and I was able to find a fix on the web - under the steering column was a release - just had to squeeze finger in there and presto - key would release.  Doubt it will be that simple in this case.

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
mjmhere
Acadia Guru

Sleek !

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:29:50 PM »

Sounds like the lockout button is going out, not sure how you will get the key out

Hit that blue button on your OnStar and have a tow to your dealer arranged Undecided  You may have damaged something in your transmission by slamming it into park shrug

2011 Acadia Denali, Summit White with Ebony leather interior, Nav, chrome mods, Denali-specific running boards

" My memory fails me quite often.  Also, my memory fails me quite often Huh? Huh?"
Jay T
ShadowRider

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 07:48:51 AM »

Are you on an incline? (like when the trans has pressure on it in park)??

I would set the ebrake, start it, s**t to drive, then back to park and try to shut off and remove the key.

2010 AWD Acadia = Carbon black out / Ebony leather in, dual sunroofs and all the toys...
CarbonBlackMetallic#12
2008 VW Jetta 2.5L = Intake, wheels, tints, 7inch indash touch screen.
1995 American Classic Bagged, Lowered & Chromed Out!

Moderator @  shadowriders.net  forum
Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »

...  I would set the ebrake, start it, s**t to drive, then back to park and try to shut off and remove the key.

It's OK to say 'shift' on this forum, Jay T!   Grin

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »

I think he meant to type shift but forgot to hit the f key and then the forum caught the typo

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)
Jay T
ShadowRider

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 08:29:48 PM »

Hahaaahaaha LMAO!!
Yes, I must have forgot to hit the "f" key, That's soooo funny!
oops, anyhow, I would think everyone knew what I meant...
LOL!

2010 AWD Acadia = Carbon black out / Ebony leather in, dual sunroofs and all the toys...
CarbonBlackMetallic#12
2008 VW Jetta 2.5L = Intake, wheels, tints, 7inch indash touch screen.
1995 American Classic Bagged, Lowered & Chromed Out!

Moderator @  shadowriders.net  forum
sidewazzz

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 11:20:32 PM »

Seems like this may be a recall issue

http://acadiaowners.com/index.php/recalls/recalls2009

Transmission Shift Position Sequence, Starter Interlock, And Transmission Braking Effect", and FMVSS 114, "Theft Protection And Rollaway Prevention". on some of these vehicles, the transmission shift cable adjustment clip may not be fully engaged. If the clip is not fully engaged, the shift lever and the actual position of the transmission gear may not match. With this condition, the drive could move the shifter to "park" and remove the ignition key, but the transmission gear may not be in "park".

Consequence: The driver may not be able to restart the vehicle and the vehicle could roll away after the driver has exited the vehicle, resulting in a possible crash without prior warning.
Speleos
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 12:12:39 AM »

Might be worth a call to the number listed for GMC to get some answers regarding how your vehicle is affected by this 'recall.'  Let us know how it goes when you do that.  Can't really tell from your posts whether you're the original owner, or you got the vehicle as pre-Owned.  If you got it pre-Owned, maybe the original owner missed something!

btw, what's an acaida?  Sounds like something that swarms every 17 years!! Grin

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
1995 Chevy C-2500
mjmhere
Acadia Guru

Sleek !

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 04:15:47 AM »

Might be worth a call to the number listed for GMC to get some answers regarding how your vehicle is affected by this 'recall.'  Let us know how it goes when you do that.  Can't really tell from your posts whether you're the original owner, or you got the vehicle as pre-Owned.  If you got it pre-Owned, maybe the original owner missed something!

btw, what's an acaida?  Sounds like something that swarms every 17 years!! Grin

That's it Speleos,...show the OP how to laugh in their moment of despair,...I think  Grin Grin

2011 Acadia Denali, Summit White with Ebony leather interior, Nav, chrome mods, Denali-specific running boards

" My memory fails me quite often.  Also, my memory fails me quite often Huh? Huh?"
Speleos
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 06:43:28 AM »

That's it Speleos,...show the OP how to laugh in their moment of despair,...I think  Grin Grin

He's a big boy - Jay T can take it!  Especially since his s**ter broke!  Grin  yikes

1995 Chevy C-2500
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 09:08:51 AM »

Seems like this may be a recall issue

Transmission Shift Position Sequence, Starter Interlock, And Transmission Braking Effect", and FMVSS 114, "Theft Protection And Rollaway Prevention". on some of these vehicles, the transmission shift cable adjustment clip may not be fully engaged. If the clip is not fully engaged, the shift lever and the actual position of the transmission gear may not match. With this condition, the drive could move the shifter to "park" and remove the ignition key, but the transmission gear may not be in "park".

Consequence: The driver may not be able to restart the vehicle and the vehicle could roll away after the driver has exited the vehicle, resulting in a possible crash without prior warning.

I remember when this came out; IIRC there weren't too many affected by this issue; nice find  thumbs up

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)
sidewazzz

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 06:47:50 PM »

I'm getting the timing chain and seat belt recalls taken care of. The gm program they use to pook up recalls didn't list the one I found so I just called and told them about it. Said they would let me know by days end if the truck falls within the recall. Grin
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 11:01:17 PM »

I'm getting the timing chain and seat belt recalls taken care of. The gm program they use to pook up recalls didn't list the one I found so I just called and told them about it. Said they would let me know by days end if the truck falls within the recall. Grin

Which one did you find that the GM dealer couldn't find?

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)
sidewazzz

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 01:33:23 AM »

This

Well it wasn't that, seems if something in the shift assembely broke. $500 later and all is well, GMC in Watsoneville ca gets a 10 out of 10. thumbs up
94Jaws

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 08:40:15 AM »

Well, we brought our 2011 Acadia Denali home, pulled it into the garage...and there it sits. Key in the ignition, turned on just enough to continuously drain the battery. I have the battery on a trickle to keep it charged (will that be enough?), but sounds like we are in for a weekend of not using the brand new vehicle. Needless to say, not too pleased. flaming mad
I'll mention that recall to the dealer after we drag it there... facepalm

Happy Easter?!
94Jaws

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 12:50:18 PM »

Got it started! Beer
Had to try to jump it 3 times and the last time, while it didn't start, it did release the key. Then I got froggy and figured 'why not', let the battery charge a bit more and what do you know - it fired right up.  shrug
I think maybe the battery ran down far enough that once I jumped it again whatever was wrong, cleared (assuming it was computer related at this point). If it happens again the first thing I will do is disconnect the positive terminal for a few minutes and see if that takes care of it. I will have the dealer check it out when I take it in for it's next service.
Kudos to Lighthouse Automotive in Morton, IL for their assistance - they were about to send a flatbed with a loaner vehicle to my house to pick it up and take it to their service department. Got it started before all that went down.  Cheers
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 04:44:29 PM »

Have your dealer replace the battery

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)
50andunretired

Ignore