Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
September 01, 2014, 09:48:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Poll
Question: Have you experienced this issue?
YES - A/C is broke - 125 (61.6%)
NO - A/C is fine - 51 (25.1%)
YES, but fixed by dealer - 20 (9.9%)
Not Sure (not enough use) - 7 (3.4%)
Total Voters: 203

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Conditioning Not Working - No Cold Air  (Read 92295 times, 256 Replies)
DD

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2007, 04:02:14 PM »

After ordering our Acadia and waiting 7 weeks for delivery, we finally picked it up on Friday.  It was a cooler mid-morning for southern California (64 degrees), so we didn't notice the A/C was only blowing in air from outside.  But as it warmed up later in the afternoon, we realized the A/C had no cold air.  Here is the problem:  when set on Auto on the coldest setting (60), it just blows in air from outside (ie, the fan). And, when we press the A/C button, it just blinks three times and then shuts off. 

We took it back on Saturday and sat around for two hours only to find that the dealer have given us the vehicle with no freon in it.  (Nice, aren't they supposed to check everything before delivery?).  So, they  "replaced and recharged" the freon, and also went through everything else on the new vehicle checklist (which they should have done already).  This seemed to fix the problem, but only for a day.

While driving on Sunday, the same problem came back.  When set on 60 degrees auto, it just blows in the air from outside ad  when we press the cold A/C button, it blinks three times and nothing more.  We took it back to the dealer this morning, got a loaner rental, and are waiting to hear back from them.  They said this is the only Acadia that has had any problems with the A/C.  I'll post an update when I know more. 

White SLT-1, FWD, benchseat, HUD, sunroof, power lift gate (ordered 2/14, picked up from dealer on 4/6)
zman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 04:23:49 PM »

I am not sure why the light would blink three times but it is possible you have a significant freon leak in the system.  You would think that they would have been able to detect that however.

2011 Enclave CXL-2 AWD Gray Green Metallic/Ebony, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Splash Guards, Engine Block Heater
Rollin' Thunder

"BILLY'S GOT HIS BEER GOGGLES ON" Neal McCoy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 04:31:05 PM »

i dont know why yours is doing it but usally the snow flake light will blink three times if it is too cold to run the ac. it could break it to run it during cold weather so they put a protectant on it. i read it in the manual but not sure were in it.

family cars-5 drivers
08 acadia, slvr, ebony- no 19, or dvd ( but everything else)- b-day present from dad to mom.
08 Buick enclave cxl Awd, plat mit/ titanium
08 sierra Denali
06 GMC Yukon xl slt2- Rollin' thunder
06 Chevy corvette-
01 Lincoln continental
86 Cadillac fleetwood
84 Merced
DD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 04:38:02 PM »

i dont know why yours is doing it but usally the snow flake light will blink three times if it is too cold to run the ac. it could break it to run it during cold weather so they put a protectant on it. i read it in the manual but not sure were in it.

I saw that in the manual as well, but I think that should only apply if it is really cold outside.  It has been in the 70s and sunny here, so the car is a little warm when you first get in, and the same problem.  When I first brought it in to my dealer, they also said it was definitely a problem because the A/C system on the Acadia is the same as on all other GM vehicles, and it should not be doing what it was doing. 

I just talked to the dealer and they are still trying to figure it out.  We'll see what they find.

White SLT-1, FWD, benchseat, HUD, sunroof, power lift gate (ordered 2/14, picked up from dealer on 4/6)
linuxtwit

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 07:56:12 PM »

While driving on Sunday, the same problem came back.  When set on 60 degrees auto, it just blows in the air from outside ad  when we press the cold A/C button, it blinks three times and nothing more.  We took it back to the dealer this morning, got a loaner rental, and are waiting to hear back from them.  They said this is the only Acadia that has had any problems with the A/C.  I'll post an update when I know more. 

I've never had auto climate control before, so I don't know if it is different than the manual climate control system, but on
my Pontiac Torrent, if you turn on the A/C with the fan turned off, the light blinks 3 times and nothing happens.  Did you have
the fan on, even on the lowest blower setting?

08 GMC Acadia SLT1 AWD Liquid Silver/Titanium
(Ordered July 20/07 Built August 20/07 Delivered Sep 10/07)
DD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 08:55:27 PM »

I tried everything.  It was also confirmed by the dealer itself that it was a problem (no freon) and not user error.  Still no word on the cause of the repeated failure.  They will have it at least until tomorrow. 

DD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 02:33:06 PM »

Okay.  Dealer has located the problem and ordered the part.  The evaporator in the dash was not working properly, which was causing the freon to leak.  The part should come in tomorrow and be fixed by the afternoon.  Still should have been solved before we took delivery, but hopefully this will be the one and only problem we have. 

bricklvr

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 10:33:04 AM »

Thanks so much for posting this thread!!!!

We went to pick up our Acadia yesterday and while we were going through all the features with my salesperson, we discovered that the A/C would not turn on.  When you pushed the button it would flash 3 times and then just turn off.  It was sunny out and approx. 70 degrees.  So they quickly brought in into the service bay and told me it did not have any freon and they would put it in.  And of course, that did not fix the problem.  I noticed that each time they moved the car, it was leaking fluid from under the engine, but they just dismissed it saying "that's normal, it's coming out of the exhaust"!!!  What a bunch of idiots!!!  So they have scheduled me in for today with a tech to try to determine the problem. 

I have printed off this thread and will take it in with me and tell them what I think the problem is......can't wait to see the looks on their faces!!!!  Acadia forum ROCKS!!!!  Rock

White Diamond/Brick SLT-2 AWD
Dodge RAM 3500 Laramie
Porsche 911 Targa
rinconmike

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 07:15:07 AM »

Did the AC make a hiss noise like someone on a respirator?

Mine is making that with the AC turned on (not with the AC off).  It does blow cool air, but not as cool as I would like it.  I had it at the dealer.  first they said the noise was not correct.  They called me and said they were changing a fan.  I picked it up last night, turned it on, and the sound was there.  I went and spoke to the service manager and they now say that sound is normal.  What they changed was a fan in the engine compartment which they said was not working properly (I did not hear anything wrong).

So I guess I am stuck with this sound coming on for 2 or 3 seconds and then off.  Just like someone breathing on a respirator.

thanks
GAgirl

Painting the town Crimson in my new "Big Al"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 11:35:56 PM »

This weekend was pretty warm down here (around 82 - 85 degrees) so my AC was getting a workout.  I realized mine was making a weird noise, too.  First on Saturday, it was kind of a rattle noise, that today has changed to a new noise I can't really describe.  And, being rather warm in the car, I lowered the temp to 60 degrees, and while it was blowing out somewhat cool air, it was NO WHERE close to being cold air - certainly not supposedly 60 degrees.  It's going to the service dept this week.  Having a car (brand new) without AC in GA during the summer is unacceptable.   Undecided

Ordered 2/12; Arrived 3/29:  SLT-1 Red Jewel w/ebony leather, convenience package, dual sunroof, 8-passenger
GAgirl

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 09:23:57 PM »

87 today and no cold air - just hot air blowing into the car.  The AC was working last weekend but now mine is doing the same thing - hit the snowflake and it flashes three times and then turns off.  I'm taking it into the service dept tomorrow a.m.  I'll report back once I get it back.   Embarrassed flaming mad Rant Mope

Mine was built 3/07.  Just curious if it is a faulty part that was used in the Acadias built this month?  What's the build month of the others on here with the same problem with the AC?

Ordered 2/12; Arrived 3/29:  SLT-1 Red Jewel w/ebony leather, convenience package, dual sunroof, 8-passenger
DD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 11:57:11 AM »

Mine was built 3/07.  Just curious if it is a faulty part that was used in the Acadias built this month?  What's the build month of the others on here with the same problem with the AC?

I ordered mine two days after you, so I would imagine their build dates are pretty close.

mckcab
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 12:17:13 PM »

Mine was built on the ides of March.  No problems with the air (THANK GOODNESS)!!

2005 Midnight Blue G35 Coupe (VROOM!)
2007 Red Jewel SLT-2 Acadia FWD with everything

Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Web Raven
Indeed, I am so far out of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity.
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 01:18:37 PM »

I haven't noticed any problems with my AC yet.  But it hasn't really been warm enough here to run it for severals days back to back.  The times I have used it, it's been quite cold.  I guess time will tell.  Smiley

2004 Hummer H2, Black, Wheat Leather, Loaded.
mitchl

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 04:10:22 PM »

It has been run pretty much daily for the past 10 days, and my wife has it running strong today (my Mustang is a freaking oven today).  In Memphis, (like GAGirl in Atl)-- if it craps out in a month, it might have to be towed in because you cannot be without AC here.       flaming mad flaming mad

2012 Nissan Altima - Purch May 2012
2012 Nissan Frontier - Purch May 2012
2007 GMC Acadia FWD SLT2, Deep Blue, Titanium Leather, 2Row Bench, DVD, HUD. -- Ord Feb 07, Delivered Apr 07, Traded May 12
2008 White Mustang- V6 Pony Package, Tan Leather, 5 Speed.  Purch Jun 08, Traded May 12
GAgirl

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 07:20:08 PM »

Ok, so I took it in for service today and they said they've seen several Acadias with the same problem.  In fact, a white diamond pulled in right after they drove mine to the garage.  Those of you that haven't had a problem yet, it sounds like you might soon.  Maybe you just haven't used the AC enough for it to leak.  Apparently, there's a defective seal that caused the freon to leak out. 

They had it all day today, then called me around 3pm to say that they realized they didn't have the part on hand like they thought and they had to have an "o-ring" overnighted to fix it tomorrow.   Undecided  So, they picked me up from work a half an hour earlier than I asked them to (don't get me wrong, leaving work early isn't a bad thing, but the fact that I'm on their schedule pisses me off) so they could take me to the rental car place before they closed.  Once at the rental place, I had to wait 20 minutes for them to find me a car!!  Uhhhh, hello?  Did no one think to call ahead and reserve one for me?   Huh?  So I waited in the customer waiting area while they located me the WORST car on the planet.  They gave me a Chevy Cobalt to drive tonight.  I didn't think they made cars like this  anymore - no automated ANYTHING.  Manual door locks, seats, even manual side mirrors!  Guess I'm spoiled, but I figured that at least all base models came with automated locks.  It's like driving a go-cart, but I think even a go-cart has more pick up.    Angry

Anyway, to say that I'm disgusted is an understatement to say the least.  I still love my Acadia despite this inconvenience, but only having it a month and not even having made my first payment and it's already in the shop makes me nervous.  Especially since my two Hondas and one Acura before this NEVER went in the shop for anything.  Ever.  Oh well, I guess it's just the kinks in being an early adapter.  I hope this is the last time I have to leave my Acadia overnight for anything.

By the way, I have them checking into my front seats (the jerking like it gets off track at certain points while moving it forward and back) and a rattle in my sunroof when I go over bumps, too.   

acadia7j100001

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 07:36:05 PM »

All...I'm very sorry about the air conditioning problem that you're experiencing.  We noted the problem this past week as a result of warranty input and traced it to a loose joint at the thermal expansion valve.  A correction has been implemented and communication has been sent out to the dealers.  Again, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing many of you.
etgus

Deep Blue Metallic SLT-1 with most options FWD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 07:39:21 PM »

sorry this happened GAGirl. Nothing worse than something happening to a brand new car!  Mine was also built in 3/07 and my dealer got in 3/26. We got it last week.  AC working...so far.

Does this mean even if it is working now, we can ALL expect it to fail soon and have to take it in for warranty repair like GAGirl did?? 
acadia7j100001

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 07:45:49 PM »

all...we're working to understand when the joint became "loose".  At this point, I would expect leaks to occur fairly soon after the ac was allowed to run if they were going to occur.  It appears that there is not enough pressure for the charge to leak out unless the system is run...and if the dealer pulls a vacuum to check for leaks, the joint may actually seal itself during the test.  Please understand that much of this is speculation.  Work is going on to verify situation as I type this and I am getting daily updates.
etgus

Deep Blue Metallic SLT-1 with most options FWD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 07:55:48 PM »

Thanks a bunch!  I guess we'll just plan to use it normally, and IF it begins to fail, as described, we'll contact the dealer.  Sounds like you folks will have notified them and they'll know what to do!

On a positive note, our Acadia seems to be perfect.  No glitches described on many of the posts!  (knock wood!)   We are very pleased.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories