Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
September 22, 2014, 04:13:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Check Engine light keeps coming on and engine has slight sputter........  (Read 7363 times, 27 Replies)
touchdown13

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2010, 11:17:05 PM »

Tommorrow I will be taking my 2009 Acadia into the shop for the 5th time!!! The car sputters slightly and the check engine light comes on. The first time they kept the car for a little over 2 weeks and had to take the engine out to "fix the problem". A month later the same thing occurred. The next 3 visits took 2-3 days to "fix the problem". The last time I didn't even have the car for a day and the check engine light came on!!! I haven't even had this car for a year. Very disappointing to pay this much money for this much unreliability!!!!!
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 11:50:19 PM »

Agreed, your problem certainly hasn't been fixed.  I am a little surprised they took the engine out for the CEL, do you have the paperwork on the fixed they performed?  We have a lot of members here that could shed some light on this issue if we know what your dealer has done previously.

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
touchdown13

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:55:38 PM »

They had to replace the valves on two of the cylinders and had to replace 2 injectors. That was all on the first visit.
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:30:39 AM »

They had to replace the valves on two of the cylinders and had to replace 2 injectors. That was all on the first visit.

so sad  Wow replacing valves and injectors on an 09; anything from the other visits

evahnulahm

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 09:11:58 AM »

Man, replacing valves and injectors seems ridiculous, I would try to get GMC involved to see if they can get you a new car...I get pretty fired up over a seat rattle let alone a freaking engine removal.

Current Vehicles:
2007 GMC Acadia SLT-1, Silver, Titanium, Power Liftgate, Bose
2004 BMW 325i
Past Vehicles:
2004 Subaru WRX
1991 Dodge Daytona IROC
1987 Dodge Daytona Pacifica
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S with 442 hood
touchdown13

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:54:16 AM »

Just took in in again today. In addition to the valves and injectors they had to replace max air flox Sensor, replaced 2 catyletic converters.

I will update this once they tell me what is wrong this time. Needless to say I am at my wits end. All they tell me to do is get GMC to extend my warrenty for free. But I really don't want an extended warrenty for a lemon. Any ideas on what I should do?
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 10:46:20 AM »

Just took in in again today. In addition to the valves and injectors they had to replace max air flox Sensor, replaced 2 catyletic converters.

I will update this once they tell me what is wrong this time. Needless to say I am at my wits end. All they tell me to do is get GMC to extend my warrenty for free. But I really don't want an extended warrenty for a lemon. Any ideas on what I should do?

Sounds to me like they are "shot gunning" parts; if possible you might try another dealer

touchdown13

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 10:52:24 AM »

What does "shot gunning" parts mean?
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:00:55 AM »

What does "shot gunning" parts mean?

That refers to the act of changing parts without actually knowing what the problem is  so sad

touchdown13

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 11:17:23 AM »

I gottcha. Sounds like that could be the case. There were very defensive about it coming in again. They said they were doing what the GM playbook told them to do and fix. They said it has been a different problem each time. However this latest visit has the exact same symptons that prompted the first visit. The closest dealer is 30 minutes away, so I really don't want to go down that road. Should I look into getting rid of this car?
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »

I gottcha. Sounds like that could be the case. There were very defensive about it coming in again. They said they were doing what the GM playbook told them to do and fix. They said it has been a different problem each time. However this latest visit has the exact same symptons that prompted the first visit. The closest dealer is 30 minutes away, so I really don't want to go down that road. Should I look into getting rid of this car?

To me it sounds like the dealership doesn't have anyone qualified to actually troubleshoot the issues; I would still try another dealer.....some other members have done this with success

rbarrios
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 12:46:35 PM »

You could try a Chevy dealer too.
Its GM- if its closer.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Murdock
Acadia Freak

Acadia Aficionado

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 10:00:12 PM »

Ditto  on changing dealers. It sounds like they don't know what is wrong and they are hanging parts in hopes something will fix it. Is it throwing codes? I wonder what caused the injectors to be fouled?  Sure does sound like a fuel or pump/tank problem.   Good luck 

2009 Acadia SLT-1 built 07/31/08, DLT, FWD, Summit White, titanium, 7 seater, leather, heated; purchased 06/09 no HUD, no HID, no factory Nav, no S.Roof. 18" wheels, Bose system. Pennsoil Platinum & PF63. Trans flash, water pump, seat rails & steering gear replaced, PS flush & refill with DEX VI.
touchdown13

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 10:03:39 PM »

Thanks for the advice as I am clueless when it comes to cars. They have had my car all day and did not call or let me know what they found. I am anxious to hear what they come up with this time. I will post it when I find out. And needless to say, if another problem arises, I'm heading to a different dealer. Glad that the car isn't a lemon!
touchdown13

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »

I finally got the car back today. They said they had to replace 2 injectors. Said they followed what GMC told them to do and that this should fix the problem. Ha!! Should we start a pool on how long until that check engine light comes on again?

They said that they hope they wouldn't see me for a while. And I said don't worry you won't. Because if it happens again, my lawyer will be talking to them instead of me. But the guy could have cared less.
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 07:52:44 AM »

facepalm

I'm having a tough time believing that you have so many issues with the engine; for your sake I hope the two injectors fixes your issue.  Either your dealership is inexperienced or your engine is just a piece of junk  shrug

SavageNFS
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 08:50:28 AM »

I have to be honest here.  If I were touchdown13, I would have driven my Acadia through the dealership windows by now.  That is unbelievable  thumbdown

2013 AWD Acadia Denali, White Diamond Tri-Coat
2011 F-250 6.7L, CCSB, FX4, Ingot Silver Metallic - Not even close to stock
wjc333

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 10:02:53 PM »

My 2008 is currently in the dealership for the ninth time (not including routine maint).  It went into service in October 2007 and has 20,000 miles on it.  See list below for service completed or service currently being completed. 

I posted some of these issues in March and advised that I sat down with the service manager about these issues.  Since the problem has continued, we sat down with the dealership general manager and was told several interesting facts:

The powertrain in the Lambda platform is a proven powertrain in passenger cars.  However, he inferred (only inferred, he never explicitly said) that, once in a larger SUV, the engine has been troublesome.  The inference was that, as long as the powertrain is pushing a small, lightweight passenger car, such as the Pontiac G6, the engine performs well, though he has seen 2 occassions in which similar issues have arisen in those cars.  However, once in a much heavier car, such as the Acadia, problems start to surface. 

He laid out several options for us, including going into arbitration with GM to have a mediator find a solution.  He indicated that we would most likely be satisfied with the outcome, but the process is so awful that he hinted that arbitration should be our last resort.  He also said that he could get our bumper-to-bumper warranty extended for "X" amount of years.  However, this was not the long-term solution that we were seeking.  Another solution, which seemed to be the best option, was a General Motors assisted trade-in.  This would involve us trading in our vehicle to the dealership for another Acadia, (which we love, just not ours) and General Motors providing incentives to the dealership on our behalf to "sweeten" the deal...there was no inference on how "sweet" the incentive might be.  After the one-hour meeting, and a telephone call to his GM representative, we agreed that we would wait to see if the most recent fix (the car is still in the shop) solves the problems

So far, in order from first to last:
-1950 miles:  Powertrain control module (PCM) replaced (sometimes called the engine control module)
-2200 miles:  Camshaft position sensor replacement
-15420 miles:  Manifold absolute pressure sensor replacement (aka MAP sensor)
-15420 miles:  Rear cargo accessory plug malfunction (interior was "gutted" to find and fix problem)
-15500 miles:  Camshaft position actuator valve replacement (both)
-16590 miles:  Seat mounted side airbag repair (had to re-grease plugs...service bulletin issued)
-17430 miles:  Camshaft timing chain replacement (engine removed, timing chains and relevant seals & gaskets replaced)
-~20000 miles:  Powertrain control module (PCM) replaced
-~20000 miles:  Starter replaced (starter went kaput because exteded engine cranking due to problem with PCM)
ccaats

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 12:10:06 AM »

My 2008 is currently in the dealership for the ninth time (not including routine maint).  It went into service in October 2007 and has 20,000 miles on it.  See list below for service completed or service currently being completed. 

I posted some of these issues in March and advised that I sat down with the service manager about these issues.  Since the problem has continued, we sat down with the dealership general manager and was told several interesting facts:

The powertrain in the Lambda platform is a proven powertrain in passenger cars.  However, he inferred (only inferred, he never explicitly said) that, once in a larger SUV, the engine has been troublesome.  The inference was that, as long as the powertrain is pushing a small, lightweight passenger car, such as the Pontiac G6, the engine performs well, though he has seen 2 occassions in which similar issues have arisen in those cars.  However, once in a much heavier car, such as the Acadia, problems start to surface. 

He laid out several options for us, including going into arbitration with GM to have a mediator find a solution.  He indicated that we would most likely be satisfied with the outcome, but the process is so awful that he hinted that arbitration should be our last resort.  He also said that he could get our bumper-to-bumper warranty extended for "X" amount of years.  However, this was not the long-term solution that we were seeking.  Another solution, which seemed to be the best option, was a General Motors assisted trade-in.  This would involve us trading in our vehicle to the dealership for another Acadia, (which we love, just not ours) and General Motors providing incentives to the dealership on our behalf to "sweeten" the deal...there was no inference on how "sweet" the incentive might be.  After the one-hour meeting, and a telephone call to his GM representative, we agreed that we would wait to see if the most recent fix (the car is still in the shop) solves the problems

So far, in order from first to last:
-1950 miles:  Powertrain control module (PCM) replaced (sometimes called the engine control module)
-2200 miles:  Camshaft position sensor replacement
-15420 miles:  Manifold absolute pressure sensor replacement (aka MAP sensor)
-15420 miles:  Rear cargo accessory plug malfunction (interior was "gutted" to find and fix problem)
-15500 miles:  Camshaft position actuator valve replacement (both)
-16590 miles:  Seat mounted side airbag repair (had to re-grease plugs...service bulletin issued)
-17430 miles:  Camshaft timing chain replacement (engine removed, timing chains and relevant seals & gaskets replaced)
-~20000 miles:  Powertrain control module (PCM) replaced
-~20000 miles:  Starter replaced (starter went kaput because exteded engine cranking due to problem with PCM)

I'm sorry to be rude, but what your dealership's general manager told you about the powertrain not being capable of powering a "heavier SUV" has got to be the biggest bunch of  BS  I have EVER heard.  I cannot believe that a person of supposed intelligence in automobile knowledge would make such a retardedly STUPID statement!  If his dealership isn't one of the ones GM was planning on shutting down, it ought to be now!  RUN, don't walk, as fast as you can away from those idiots!

His Lambda: '08 Acadia SLT-2 FWD, Deep Blue/Titanium, Sunroof, Towing, Step Rails, Splash Guards, H11 Xtreme HID 5000K, 5202 LED Fogs, 194 LED Lic. Plate, LED Interior, 100K+ miles

Her Lambda: '08 Enclave CXL AWD, Red Jewel, Cashmere Lthr, Driver Conf, Lux Pkg, Towing, NAV/DVD, 19" Chromes, Sunro
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 08:05:52 AM »

This is definitely an isolated problem; unless other members here aren't saying anything  shrug

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories