Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
October 25, 2014, 03:38:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Acadia Sales Numbers:    Sept: 5,287      YTD Total: 62,013      All Time: 323,333  (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Cabin Air Filter?  (Read 25926 times, 31 Replies)
Web Raven
Indeed, I am so far out of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity.
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« on: March 25, 2010, 09:48:13 AM »

So... I have this funky moldy smell in my Acadia whenever I turn the fan on for the heater.  I assumed it must be the cabin air filter needing to be changed.  Went to Autozone and they told me it didn't have one.  I was sure it did.  He came out and looked behind my glove box and said "Yeah, it looks like it's right there.  Must be a dealer stocked part."  Fine.

But after using the search feature on this forum, it appears that it's a fake!  WTH?  A fake cabin air filter?  LOL  Which, you know, really I'm fine with, but if that is the case... where is this weird moldy smell coming from when I turn on the fan?!?!  When the fan is not on, the Acadia smells fine inside.  Turn on fan - YUCK.  And then either I get used to it or it goes away.  haha  But it always comes back when I first start the car or turn the fan back on.

Ugh.

2004 Hummer H2, Black, Wheat Leather, Loaded.
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »

I find it hard to believe there is no cabin air filter in this vehicle; can you reference the thread?

EDIT: http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1824.0  now I will have to wait till this evening to check ours out, but I assume I will find the same  Undecided Angry

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:45:43 AM »

So... I have this funky moldy smell in my Acadia whenever I turn the fan on for the heater.  I assumed it must be the cabin air filter needing to be changed.  Went to Autozone and they told me it didn't have one.  I was sure it did.  He came out and looked behind my glove box and said "Yeah, it looks like it's right there.  Must be a dealer stocked part."  Fine.

But after using the search feature on this forum, it appears that it's a fake!  WTH?  A fake cabin air filter?  LOL  Which, you know, really I'm fine with, but if that is the case... where is this weird moldy smell coming from when I turn on the fan?!?!  When the fan is not on, the Acadia smells fine inside.  Turn on fan - YUCK.  And then either I get used to it or it goes away.  haha  But it always comes back when I first start the car or turn the fan back on.

Ugh.

You may have some mold/mildew in the vents/ducts which the filter (even if there was one) wouldn't do much for.  There are some treatments for that condition which you should pursue.

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
Insti08
Acadia Guru

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »

There is no filter. My service manager told me that the smell is from condensation in the duct work. He sprayed a solution into the ducts and the mold smell went away for awhile. He suggested that I run the AC using outside air periodically to dry out the duct work. According to him running the AC on recirculate causes the water build up. The smell came back after awhile but does go away when I follow his proceedure. Or I just shoy Frabreeze into the vent!

'08,SLT2,AWD,CBMet.,BRK Int.,inst.wood trim,HUD,19's,2-2-3,Adv.start rem.,2xSky,6cdchang.Bose,Trailer pack.,running boards+LEDs(blue),deflectors all around, all weather mats, Contor.Flaps,Garm.Nav.,P.A.L.,Glove bx light,LED Int. Lights CBACM #2,SLT-2 M#1
Web Raven
Indeed, I am so far out of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity.
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 10:57:46 AM »

Huh.  Well the guy at Autozone tried to sell me some spray to put into the vents, but at the time, I wasn't positive that there was not a cabin air filter.  Guess I'll head back over there.  Something has to be done.  It's yucky. 

BigTallVandy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:00:04 AM »

We would get this in our vehicles regardless of having a cabin air filter.  Would only occur after turning on the A/C after having sat for a while overnight or for a day or two.  Musty/mildew smell.   Their fix was to spritz some bleach into the system.   I wasn't keen on that, but at least saw the logic in killing the bacteria causing the smell.

Try some anti-bacterial febreeze.  You'll have to spritz that into the fresh air-intake.  The air coil is likely to be the trouble spot.

When the vehicle was under warranty, I had the dealer fix the issue by complaining about the foul odour from the A/C system.

2009 Outlook XR (FWD) in Carbon Black Metallic, Preferred Equipment Group 1XR, Ebony Cloth 7 Passenger Seating, Two Panel Sunroof, V92 Trailer Package, Cold Weather Package (Remote Start & Heated Washer Fluid System), 2nd Row Console, Bose Premium Audio Package With 10 Speakers
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:15:14 AM »

I am going to figure out something to put in that spot; I live in a dust bowel and would like to keep dust out as much as possible.  I too have noticed an intermittent smell and figured it was the filter needing a change.  Next time I have the musty smell I will try using outside air to see if that works too~and to think I thought I knew everything about my Acadia  Embarrassed

Blue/Gold Forever! 78U / dmurphy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 11:18:42 AM »

I live in a dust bowel

Wow...  I'm sorry.

Dusty *and* smelly.

RETIRED 10-SEP-2014: 2008 Blue-Gold Crystal Metallic Acadia AWD SLT-1
2014 White Diamond Tricoat Buick Enclave AWD, Leather Edition
2013 Evolution Green Cadillac SRX Luxury Edition

** Retired Member #2 - Blue/Gold Acadia Club
** Retired Member #2 - Acadia SLT-1 Club
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:22:16 AM »

Wow...  I'm sorry.

Dusty *and* smelly.

They will shutdown I-10 because of dust storms that completely blind you; not so good when you're cruising at 75 mph  Shocked

Web Raven
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 11:22:47 AM »

But I'm using the heater, not the AC.  It's not THAT warm here yet!  Smiley  And it's always on outside air.

Web Raven
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 11:24:06 AM »

They will shutdown I-10 because of dust storms that completely blind you; not so good when you're cruising at 75 mph  Shocked

Dust BOWL.  Not bowel.  I think that's what he was getting at.  LOL

FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:24:32 AM »

But I'm using the heater, not the AC.  It's not THAT warm here yet!  Smiley  And it's always on outside air.

Hmmm..... maybe someone stuffed a sweaty gym sock in your vents  Poke

FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 11:25:43 AM »

Dust BOWL.  Not bowel.  I think that's what he was getting at.  LOL

Shocked  Oh my; I did a boo boo; jeez how embarassing  Embarrassed

Insti08
Acadia Guru

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 11:31:30 AM »

I saw nothing wrong with what you posted!!!

'08,SLT2,AWD,CBMet.,BRK Int.,inst.wood trim,HUD,19's,2-2-3,Adv.start rem.,2xSky,6cdchang.Bose,Trailer pack.,running boards+LEDs(blue),deflectors all around, all weather mats, Contor.Flaps,Garm.Nav.,P.A.L.,Glove bx light,LED Int. Lights CBACM #2,SLT-2 M#1
BigTallVandy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 11:40:12 AM »

Check your cowl/air-intake area in front of the windshield.  Look for any crud/leaves, etc., that all too often loves to settle in there and rot.  Remove all traces of that material.  Wouldn't matter heat or A/C, you'd get the scent all the same from that crud.   In my case, I typically observed a mildew smell after the A/C had been utilized.

Note that if you're using "defog" setting in your vehicle (and the vehicle is equipped with A/C), the vehicle will operate the A/C to assist defogging by drying the air (provided outside temp is not too low for A/C to operate).  Likewise if you use "auto" setting with climate-control system, it will cycle on the A/C as necessary to hold the cabin temperature at desired set point.

Regardless of heat or A/C, the air-coil could very well be where the musty scent is originating from.  Some antibacterial febreeze "misted" into the fresh-air intake while the system is running will help.  If the trouble persists, having the dealer flush or clean the system may be the only other option.

2009 Outlook XR (FWD) in Carbon Black Metallic, Preferred Equipment Group 1XR, Ebony Cloth 7 Passenger Seating, Two Panel Sunroof, V92 Trailer Package, Cold Weather Package (Remote Start & Heated Washer Fluid System), 2nd Row Console, Bose Premium Audio Package With 10 Speakers
Sunkahlua

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 01:24:57 PM »

I got my oil changed this week and my husband (who manages the Oil Change Facility) asked me if I had a Cabin air filter and he looked in the owners manual and it say the Acadia doesn't have one. I don't know why you getting that smell....

2008 Crimson Metallic-AWD SLT2, Convenience Pkg, DVD, 7pass, Heated Washer, NAV, HUD,Trailering, 19" Wheels
TMMAR
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 02:07:38 PM »

If you turn the ac on with the blower on high, you could spray some Lysol along the intake vent at the bottom of the windshield which should take care of the problem.

2011 AWD Acadia Denali, Red Jewel Tint, Ebony Leather, NAV
My other vehicle:
2008 Berkshire 40' Diesel Pusher Motor Home
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »

So it seems as though the cabin screen is there to stop any big stuff from getting into the fan blower

Chop-Chop

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 02:55:18 PM »

Just in case I get that smell in the future, where am I supposed to spray antibacterial?

I read that you should do it  on the fresh air intake but where in the world is that?

I am clueless today.  Bang Head

2008 SLT1 Blue Gold Metallic
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 03:02:34 PM »

Just in case I get that smell in the future, where am I supposed to spray antibacterial?

I read that you should do it  on the fresh air intake but where in the world is that?

I am clueless today.  Bang Head

See 3 posts above; TMMAR says they are at the base of the windshield, but I think you have to raise the hood to actually get to them  Undecided

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories