Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
October 31, 2014, 02:55:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Acadia? Check out the all new GMC Terrain at http://www.TerrainForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Heat on Remote Start  (Read 11541 times, 44 Replies)
richsmoejoe

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2010, 04:06:17 PM »

Hello,

I have had my 2009 Acadia for almost 1 year now, this being my second winter with it.

I have consistently had trouble with my remote start and the heating system.

My remote start works fine, car starts, heated seats come on, but at least 75% of the time I will get in the car only to have absolutely no heat running.  Isnt this the point of remote start - to warm up the car - inside and out.

Every once in a while I will get to the car and the heat will blasting out of vents - which is great.  But MOST of the time it is not.

I  have tried many different scenarios - I have left the heat system on Auto - nothing.  I have run the system on regular (non-Auto) - still nothing.  I have remote started the car and waited almost the ten minutes before I go out to the car - and still no heat.

Here in Chicago we have had some bitter cold mornings.  I take my child to the school bus so I would go to back of house and open up garage door and then remote start the car - 5-10 minutes later we would go out to car and there is no heat - car is running, heated seats are on - but no heat and inside of car is ICE COLD - Arggggg.  This cannot be right.  I did return to dealer late last winter - the checked it out and told me they couldn't find anything wrong.  The man there even gave me a printout of the directions for the heat system.  I had already read those 10 times before that looking to see if I was doing something wrong.

I think I need to take it in again  - I don't know if maybe the sensor is bad.  Anyone else out there experience anything like this?? 

khansen30

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:43:02 PM »

Depending on the temp it can take more than 10 minutes.  That's why you can do the remote start twice, 10 minutes each time.  We had the big cold snap here 2 weeks ago.  Temps close to 0 and wind chill in the negative double digits.  It took upwards of 15 minutes for the heat to be blowing.  The blower will not start pumping out air until the engine gets above 160 degrees.  I have sat in mine freezing watching the guage and when it started moving from the 160 degree mark, air started coming out.  If it's 30 outside it wont take as long for the engine to warm up, maybe 5 minutes and thus when you get in the car the air is blasting.  I don't see anything wrong here.  Just have to be patient.  It's like watching a pan of water boil.

Signature:
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab (Mine)       2011 Chevy Camaro (Wifes)
Black - Cashmere  Leather                       Yellow - Black Interior
Everything
Proud Former Owner of a 2007 Outlook and 2009 Acadia
andyw715

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:46:24 PM »

I know there is an issues with earlier Acadias (not sure if 09 is included) where the outside air temp gauge isn't reading the temp correctly (or gets stuck at some temp).  If this temp reading is high enough it won't turn on the heat.

(I haven't gotten mine fixed yet)  There are plenty of times that I come outside and notice when turning on my car that the thermometer reads 60 something eventhough the temp might be in the 30s

2008 Acadia SLT-1 FWD  Dark Crimson Metallic
Member #3 Dark Crimson Metallic club
khansen30

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 06:02:09 PM »

I have not had any temp issues with my 09.  But that would not be the case here as his heated seats are coming on, which means the outside temp guage is reading the temp at below 45 degrees.  If it was reading like 60 the seats would not come on.

Signature:
Everything
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:13:14 PM »

Hello,

I have had my 2009 Acadia for almost 1 year now, this being my second winter with it.

I have consistently had trouble with my remote start and the heating system.

My remote start works fine, car starts, heated seats come on, but at least 75% of the time I will get in the car only to have absolutely no heat running.  Isnt this the point of remote start - to warm up the car - inside and out.

Every once in a while I will get to the car and the heat will blasting out of vents - which is great.  But MOST of the time it is not.

I  have tried many different scenarios - I have left the heat system on Auto - nothing.  I have run the system on regular (non-Auto) - still nothing.  I have remote started the car and waited almost the ten minutes before I go out to the car - and still no heat.

Here in Chicago we have had some bitter cold mornings.  I take my child to the school bus so I would go to back of house and open up garage door and then remote start the car - 5-10 minutes later we would go out to car and there is no heat - car is running, heated seats are on - but no heat and inside of car is ICE COLD - Arggggg.  This cannot be right.  I did return to dealer late last winter - the checked it out and told me they couldn't find anything wrong.  The man there even gave me a printout of the directions for the heat system.  I had already read those 10 times before that looking to see if I was doing something wrong.

I think I need to take it in again  - I don't know if maybe the sensor is bad.  Anyone else out there experience anything like this?? 

This may be a dumb question but are you leaving the temp set at a reasonably high setting (72 or higher)?

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
bonk1313
Hey members, Update your signatures with vehicle details. And post some pics of your ACADIA to share.
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

Carbon Black 2008 GMC Acadia SLT 2 Ebony 2-2-3

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 07:18:49 PM »

This may be a dumb question but are you leaving the temp set at a reasonably high setting (72 or higher)?

my thoughts as well. next time you park it, tun HVAC to auto, set temp at 90 and turn it off. Remote start it in the morning and see what you get.

19's,2xSky,Trailering,GM HR DVD,Husky Liners,Bully Imposter GI51 Grille,Cargo Rails
Built 9/07,5/8 FLASH,XD XTREME 4300K HID KIT,Putco LED Interior Lights,
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 08:49:13 PM »

Depending on the temp it can take more than 10 minutes.  That's why you can do the remote start twice, 10 minutes each time.  We had the big cold snap here 2 weeks ago.  Temps close to 0 and wind chill in the negative double digits.  It took upwards of 15 minutes for the heat to be blowing.  The blower will not start pumping out air until the engine gets above 160 degrees.  I have sat in mine freezing watching the guage and when it started moving from the 160 degree mark, air started coming out.  If it's 30 outside it wont take as long for the engine to warm up, maybe 5 minutes and thus when you get in the car the air is blasting.  I don't see anything wrong here.  Just have to be patient.  It's like watching a pan of water boil.

This makes sense and the colder outside the longer it will take for the engine to reach this temp; I wonder if a block heater would speed up the time it takes for the engine to reach 160.

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
sixathome
#1 Member of the "discontinued club"!
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 08:53:46 PM »

I'll bet it would.

2009' SATURN OUTLOOK 1XR FWD, SOLD
2013 Chevy Suburban 4X4 Crystal Red Tintcoat/Ebony
2005 VUE
2008 GMC SIERRA CREW Z71 Sonoma Red/Ebony cloth, LC9 BlackBear tuned
khansen30

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 09:12:25 PM »

This makes sense and the colder outside the longer it will take for the engine to reach this temp; I wonder if a block heater would speed up the time it takes for the engine to reach 160.

I remember a block heater on my dad's old 82 6.2 diesel suburban.  All it did was keep the glow plugs warm for an easier start but did not help the engine produce heat that much faster.

Signature:
Everything
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 09:21:53 PM »

I remember a block heater on my dad's old 82 6.2 diesel suburban.  All it did was keep the glow plugs warm for an easier start but did not help the engine produce heat that much faster.

Yep on a diesel, but what about a gas engine

MedicRxDoc
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »

The block heater element goes directly in to a coolant cavity.  I will warm the coolant near the element.  How much warmer this will make it I don't know.  I don't know how much you guys pay for electric, but the gas used to warm up with a remote start is probably easier.  It is more important with diesels as the oil viscosity is much thicker.

2007 Liquid Silver Acadia
2003 Ford Excursion 7.3 L Diesel
richsmoejoe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 12:15:25 AM »

my thoughts as well. next time you park it, tun HVAC to auto, set temp at 90 and turn it off. Remote start it in the morning and see what you get.

Not a dumb question - and yes I have left the system set to auto as high as 80.  Still nothing. 

Now yesterday temps were around 30 degrees all day.  Car was in garage as always is - so I remote  started it and as usual no heat.  Drove the car about a 40 minutes drive, parked it outside of where I was visiting - stayed 5 hours - then remote started car - was running at least 5 minutes before I got into car - no heat!!.  Now the car was sitting outside - temps around 30 = heat should have been running.  Just so frustrating!!!
bonk1313
Hey members, Update your signatures with vehicle details. And post some pics of your ACADIA to share.
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 05:25:42 AM »

Not a dumb question - and yes I have left the system set to auto as high as 80.  Still nothing. 

Now yesterday temps were around 30 degrees all day.  Car was in garage as always is - so I remote  started it and as usual no heat.  Drove the car about a 40 minutes drive, parked it outside of where I was visiting - stayed 5 hours - then remote started car - was running at least 5 minutes before I got into car - no heat!!.  Now the car was sitting outside - temps around 30 = heat should have been running.  Just so frustrating!!!

Dealership time

19's,2xSky,Trailering,GM HR DVD,Husky Liners,Bully Imposter GI51 Grille,Cargo Rails
khansen30

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 09:33:58 AM »

Did you ever get any heat while you were driving it?  And if so, how long into the drive did you get heat?

Signature:
Everything
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »

Did you ever get any heat while you were driving it?  And if so, how long into the drive did you get heat?

Yeah - good question none of us covered - also how long is your coolant temp gauge taking to reach operating temp (midway on the gauge).

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
jh46

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »

I wonder if a block heater would speed up the time it takes for the engine to reach 160.

I believe the factory block heaters have a thermostat on it that only allows it to cut in when it is -18C/ 0F or colder. The OP doesn't say what the temp is in their garage so this may or may not work anyway. 

I find that my car is not blowing warm air until I drive it for a while when I use remote start since it never runs long enough, even when done twice, during colder weather. I wish they would do something to the timer on it to allow it to run longer. 

2009 Acadia SLT1, AWD, Carbon Black Metallic w/ Brick leather, 7 pass, cargo conv. pkg, driver confidence pkg, hit the road pkg, sunroof and dvd pkg, hud, pwr liftgate, rear cargo audio controls, 2nd row console, remote start, tow pkg, engine block heater
bonk1313
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 12:14:40 PM »

I glanced and didnt see this question or answer specifically.

Your problem is not that the fan is blowing cool air sometimes when you remote start, the problem is the fan is not turning on at all, correct?

khansen30

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 12:27:32 PM »

But that is just it, it will not blow until the engine has built up enough heat.  Unlike the a/c side that it starts blowing at once.  I think that some people believe it should be blowing at once, but all that will do is blow cold air in a cold vehicle.  Gotta wait in this cold weather for the engine to warm up.  Same goes for driving it in extreme cold weather.  The oil and trans fluid have to warm up as well to work properly.  You just can't jump in and go.

Signature:
Everything
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 12:33:08 PM »

But that is just it, it will not blow until the engine has built up enough heat.  Unlike the a/c side that it starts blowing at once.  I think that some people believe it should be blowing at once, but all that will do is blow cold air in a cold vehicle.  Gotta wait in this cold weather for the engine to warm up.  Same goes for driving it in extreme cold weather.  The oil and trans fluid have to warm up as well to work properly.  You just can't jump in and go.

See I thought the fan was going even with cold air coming into the cabin; so the system waits to do anything until it reaches the required temp?

khansen30

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 02:42:07 PM »

See I thought the fan was going even with cold air coming into the cabin; so the system waits to do anything until it reaches the required temp?

That's right.  It's that smart to know when to come on or not.

Signature:
Everything
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories