Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
April 17, 2014, 08:59:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warranty Help Needed - Air Bags  (Read 1224 times, 7 Replies)
IA_Chiefs_fan

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2009, 08:45:11 PM »

I actually have an 07 Outlook but this forum is much more active and I need help quick.
It is my wife's vehicle and it has 39,000 miles on it.  The check engine light came on and they found code P0017 and said they have to pull the motor and trans to replace some camshaft chains or something.  This doesn't worry me too much because it is covered under the 5yr/100k mi Power Train Warranty.  It is odd though because I'm not experiencing any issues whatsoever; just a solid check engine light that comes and goes.
Now my big concern: On the way home from the dealership the red air bag indicator came on as well as a "Service Air Bag" message for about 15 seconds.  I immediately called Saturn and they said they'd make a note of it and look at that when I bring it in next week for the camshaft-related issue.  This sceanrio has repeated itself a few times the last two days.
The bottom line, I'm SOL on the air bag thing, right?  I am 3k over the bumper to bumper and I doubt this has anything to do with the Power Train Warranty.  Any advice?
GeoHawk
Thread Killer
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

GeoHawk no function beer well without

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 09:58:07 PM »

It looks you're right, out of warranty for the SIR (supplemental inflatable restraint) system.  If the airbag message is on, a code should be stored that will help the techs determine what's wrong.  It could be as simple as a loose or damaged connector, but they need to scan it to be sure.  Depending on your dealer, they could "goodwill" the repair since you're this short out of warranty, but I'd definitely have them check it.

2008 Acadia FWD SLT-2 Liquid Silver/Brick (Built 8/24/07 - Mine 9/7/07) - Waveplate Victim at 66,000 miles
2007 Silverado CC 4x4 LTZ 6.0L (Built 2/19/07 - Mine 2/28/07)
2009 G5 5-spd (Built 11/10/08 - Mine 7/10/12)
2014 Cruze 2LT 6-spd (Built 2/26/14 - Mine 3/22/14)
Murdock
Acadia Freak

Acadia Aficionado

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:03:16 PM »

ditto on that...air bags are too important to disregard. thumbs up

2009 Acadia SLT-1 built 07/31/08, DLT, FWD, Summit White, titanium, 7 seater, leather, heated; purchased 06/09 no HUD, no HID, no factory Nav, no S.Roof. 18" wheels, Bose system. Pennsoil Platinum & PF63. Trans flash, water pump, seat rails & steering gear replaced, PS flush & refill with DEX VI.
IA_Chiefs_fan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »

It looks you're right, out of warranty for the SIR (supplemental inflatable restraint) system.  If the airbag message is on, a code should be stored that will help the techs determine what's wrong.  It could be as simple as a loose or damaged connector, but they need to scan it to be sure.  Depending on your dealer, they could "goodwill" the repair since you're this short out of warranty, but I'd definitely have them check it.
A code can possibly tell them its a loose connection?  My experience with dealerships is they replace main modules etc. rather than trouble shooting connectors etc.  Of course that was okay with me when it was under warranty.  Grin
Any idea what the best way is to ask them to "goodwill" the air bag system repair?
MedicRxDoc
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 08:34:57 AM »

Could this be the connector under the seat that is loose?  I seem to remember some people having trouble with it, I think there may be a TSB.

2007 Liquid Silver Acadia
2003 Ford Excursion 7.3 L Diesel
IA_Chiefs_fan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »

Could this be the connector under the seat that is loose?  I seem to remember some people having trouble with it, I think there may be a TSB.
I felt around under there and all the connections seemed good. 
GeoHawk
Thread Killer
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

GeoHawk no function beer well without

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 10:53:02 AM »

A code can possibly tell them its a loose connection? 

Well no, not exactly.  wink  But a "loss of communication" error could be a loose, damaged, or corroded connector within the SIR system.  It could be something more significant as well.

As far as talking with your dealer, goodwill repairs are designed to "affect quality repairs and meet reasonable and rational customer expectations" under special circumstances.  In this case, the SIR system is a critical item of vehicle safety and a customer should reasonably expect it to operate properly for a significant time beyond the bumper-to-bumper warranty period, much less just 3,000 miles beyond it.

It is a total gray area and is strictly up to the dealer, but the repair has to be justified to GM in order for the dealer to get reimbursed.  I've never had to plead a case like this to my dealer, so I really don't have any other advice, sorry.  Good luck.   Smiley

2008 Acadia FWD SLT-2 Liquid Silver/Brick (Built 8/24/07 - Mine 9/7/07) - Waveplate Victim at 66,000 miles
2007 Silverado CC 4x4 LTZ 6.0L (Built 2/19/07 - Mine 2/28/07)
2009 G5 5-spd (Built 11/10/08 - Mine 7/10/12)
2014 Cruze 2LT 6-spd (Built 2/26/14 - Mine 3/22/14)
rbarrios
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 12:23:05 PM »

I remember my 03 Trailblazer... it had the airbags in the seat sides--- and every now and then- after I slid the seat back and forth-- and then turned on vehicle-- Id get the red airbag light...
It shut off engine- slide seat back and forth a few times- restart... no more light...
right under the seat- was the connector for the airbags...
this may be your problem too--- a bad connection at the time...

let us know what the dealer says.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    20,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   77,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-172,000
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories