Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
July 31, 2014, 07:39:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Acadia? Check out the all new GMC Terrain at http://www.TerrainForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ignition Locked-Key will not turn  (Read 7290 times, 16 Replies)
SLT09_ACADIA

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:08:02 PM »

Hi Today I had a issue when I put my key in the ignition, the key would not turn..I tried 5 times and no luck it was almost like it was locked finally after the 6 try I tried as hard as I could and I was able to turn the key. This also happen to me last month but only got stuck once so I never thought to much about it, has anyone had this issue or heard of it. It would be hard to duplicate at the dealer as it seem to happen twice in the 60 days I have owned the car....any ideas

thanks
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:17:06 PM »

Hi Today I had a issue when I put my key in the ignition, the key would not turn..I tried 5 times and no luck it was almost like it was locked finally after the 6 try I tried as hard as I could and I was able to turn the key. This also happen to me last month but only got stuck once so I never thought to much about it, has anyone had this issue or heard of it. It would be hard to duplicate at the dealer as it seem to happen twice in the 60 days I have owned the car....any ideas

thanks

Was the wheel left straight or turned?  Sometimes that happens when it's turned.  I always make sure the wheel is left straight.  Also less stress on the cv joints etc.

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
Insti08
Acadia Guru

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 09:18:40 PM »

Only things I thought were the steering wheel was locked or the car wasn't in park.

'08,SLT2,AWD,CBMet.,BRK Int.,inst.wood trim,HUD,19's,2-2-3,Adv.start rem.,2xSky,6cdchang.Bose,Trailer pack.,running boards+LEDs(blue),deflectors all around, all weather mats, Contor.Flaps,Garm.Nav.,P.A.L.,Glove bx light,LED Int. Lights CBACM #2,SLT-2 M#1
SLT09_ACADIA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:25:17 PM »

Only things I thought were the steering wheel was locked or the car wasn't in park.

car was indeed in park but what does that mean steering wheel locked? how do you know when the steering is locked?

I just don't want it happening to me again when its below zero any help would be great Cheers
SLT09_ACADIA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:27:23 PM »

Was the wheel left straight or turned?  Sometimes that happens when it's turned.  I always make sure the wheel is left straight.  Also less stress on the cv joints etc.

I always leave the wheels straight-- never paid attention to the steering wheel though if it was straight or not-could that cause a problem
Insti08
Acadia Guru

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 09:30:58 PM »

A lot of people don't know but you can lock your steering wheel by either turning it left or right. It will lock you will feel it. To release it you have to turn your steering wheel the key in the ignition at the same time. That could be it.

'08,SLT2,AWD,CBMet.,BRK Int.,inst.wood trim,HUD,19's,2-2-3,Adv.start rem.,2xSky,6cdchang.Bose,Trailer pack.,running boards+LEDs(blue),deflectors all around, all weather mats, Contor.Flaps,Garm.Nav.,P.A.L.,Glove bx light,LED Int. Lights CBACM #2,SLT-2 M#1
SLT09_ACADIA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:32:52 PM »

A lot of people don't know but you can lock your steering wheel by either turning it left or right. It will lock you will feel it. To release it you have to turn your steering wheel the key in the ignition at the same time. That could be it.

ok thanks I will pay attention next time and make sure I do not lock my steering any ideas why it is designed like this?
Insti08
Acadia Guru

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:34:42 PM »

For me it's been that way since the Flintstones! My First car had it. A few decades ago!

skierman64

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 09:41:03 PM »

ok thanks I will pay attention next time and make sure I do not lock my steering any ideas why it is designed like this?

With the key removed the steering column is locked as an anti-theft measure.  When there's pressure against the locking mechanism from the tires it sometimes binds the key.  I've had this same issue with many cars I've owned, but a quick tug on the steering one way or another releases the pressure and allows the key to turn. 

2009 Acadia SLT-2 AWD Silver/Black
2008 BMW M3 DCT
1998 BMW M3 Track Car
1997 BMW 328ci Convertible
1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon
SLT09_ACADIA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »

With the key removed the steering column is locked as an anti-theft measure.  When there's pressure against the locking mechanism from the tires it sometimes binds the key.  I've had this same issue with many cars I've owned, but a quick tug on the steering one way or another releases the pressure and allows the key to turn.  

but how do you move the wheel if the key will not turn its bizzare. I take it there is a little play in the steering in order to get out of this situtation next time. I just don't want to break my key if it happens again. It was a pretty scary feeling to me. Help
skierman64

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 10:36:14 PM »

but how do you move the wheel if the key will not turn its bizzare. I take it there is a little play in the steering in order to get out of this situtation next time. I just don't want to break my key if it happens again. It was a pretty scary feeling to me. Help

Exactly, there is a little play in the steering when it's locked, if you release the tension of the steering wheel lock by moving the wheel, even ever so slightly it will allow you to turn your key. 

2009 Acadia SLT-2 AWD Silver/Black
2008 BMW M3 DCT
1998 BMW M3 Track Car
1997 BMW 328ci Convertible
1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon
camr

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 10:37:29 PM »

Just apply a slight pressure to turn the key at the same time that you rock the steering wheel back and forth,(or left and right). The wheel should move an inch or two in both directions, and the key should turn. You should not have to apply any more pressure to turn the key than you would normally apply. This is a fairly common problem, or event, in most vehicles. Don't panic if it happens again.
SLT09_ACADIA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 10:49:33 PM »

thanks everyone thumbs up I feel much better now this board is the best Cheers
andyw715

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 08:05:33 AM »

This happens to me all the time.  A quick turn of the steering wheel back and forth does the trick.  Annoying though, as I've gotten used to the non-locking wheel on my 99 Grand Am.

2008 Acadia SLT-1 FWD  Dark Crimson Metallic
Member #3 Dark Crimson Metallic club
Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 10:19:37 AM »

Just a bit of steering wheel movement to release any binding pressure will suffice.  You don't need to get drastic with it.

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »

I used to have any even more annoying chronic problem with an 01 Grand Prix - key wouldn't come out after you shut off engine.  A bit of an inconvenience.  I finally figured out there was a release under the steering column that you could reach with a finger.

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
SLT09_ACADIA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 04:03:42 PM »

Just a bit of steering wheel movement to release any binding pressure will suffice.  You don't need to get drastic with it.

thanks thumbs up
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories