Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
December 20, 2014, 07:52:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Acadiaforum Window Decals are now available!  Order Here

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Poll
Question: 53k miles seems very early for a well maintained Acadia to have the Water Pump crap out  (Voting closed: August 02, 2011, 08:31:14 PM)
No problems - 0 (0%)
<10 k miles when I replaced mine - 0 (0%)
<25 k miles when I replaced mine - 1 (25%)
<50 k miles when I replaced mine - 2 (50%)
<75 k miles when I replaced mine - 1 (25%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MERGEd: Water Pump problems  (Read 72448 times, 229 Replies)
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 01:25:50 PM »

Just bought used 2007 Acadia SLT-2 early Feb, with 44K miles on it.  I am 3rd private owner (excluding dealerships)   

I just noticed late last week, that there was coolant under vehicle the 1 day I drove it to work (this is my wife's vehicle, but I try to drive it occasionally just for this purpose of noticing things).  Well, I took it into the GMC dealership afterhours last night, and sure enough this morning they said I had a leaky water pump.  Just called them and the entire engine is pulled as they noticed that there was also an oil leak as well coming from somewhere other than the oil pan.  I wish I could go down to dealership just to see the engine pulled.  All of this falls under powertrain warranty. 

Trying to shmooze some electrical schematic from my service advisor Heidi.  Whom I 've never met, since I did an after-hours drop-off last night.   I want schematics for another reason altogether.

I bet this is a timing chain cover leak; did you notice any oil on the ground

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
zebra26

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 01:28:19 PM »

Nice mileage for an 08  thumbs up

Did your dealership list the exact problem with the pump on the paperwork i.e. cracked, faulty etc ?

BTW~ your signature line says ordered 12/07 and picked up 2/07; I'm guessing that should be picked up 2/08?

The paperwork stated that it was a leaking waterpump.

Thanks for catching the signature line error. I've corrected it.

Ordered: 12/31/2007, Picked Up: 2/21/2008.  Enclave CXL AWD with Entertainment Pkg #2, Confidence, Luxury, 7 Passenger. Blue Gold/Titanium
2003 Honda Accord
PhinHead

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 04:34:15 PM »

I bet this is a timing chain cover leak; did you notice any oil on the ground

What's up Tucson.  Nope never saw a drop of oil.  Got Acadia back from dealer, it was the timing chain cover that was leaking, as well as fixed my original issue with antifreeze leak.  But this was cool.  In addition to the antifreeze leak, I forgot to also mention that the Acadia was making a moan/creak or so when turning wheels at low speed.  Much like when your power steering fluid is low or power steering pump is slowly dying.  At any rate, since they had to pull the entire engine out of the Acadia to fix the timing chain cover leak, as part of their process in putting it all back together, I essentially got an oil change, and a power steering flush.  One of the possible causes of the low speed steering moan/creak is possibly air in the power steering lines...and since it got flushed, that problem actually went away too.  Overall the Acadia drives better than before it went in.  Power steering feels tighter, which is how I like my steering, not wishy-washy or soft.

Heidi, my service adviser, was a trooper, as I called several times (with questions once i read about leaking water pump and oil leak at timing chain cover, TSBs, and such here on this forum), even finagled about 4 pages of copied schematics off of her, still trying to get that cargo audio switch wiring checked out before I decide to try that GMC service reprogramming BCM again, this time using your guy Hensley down in Tucson.

07 Acadia SFT-2, summit white, brick, HUD, DVD, non-Nav, 2nd row bench, IHF-1000 w/ BLU-GM29 bluetooth (done!), reverse camera via Magellan Roadmate 1700 GPS + camera and cable.
04 HD V-Rod, red, custom
02 BMW M5, carbon black
95 GMC K1500 Z71, blue
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 04:43:53 PM »

Talking about the power steering; it was mentioned here that you could self bleed the power steering system by starting the vehicle and pulling the cap on the power steering fill point and let it run in idle for about 45 mins  Undecided

If you are coming down to Tucson; let me know  thumbs up

mitchl

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 10:37:58 PM »

Huh.  Not just ours!

2007 SLT2, one of the early ones on this board.  Unrelated repair occurred 72 hours outside of warranty for the "Service Airbag" warning - an $80 programming fix.

A week later, wife spots puddle on floor of garage, passenger side in front of the wheel.  Resovoir was empty, but car not overheating.  (failure happened shortly after our first 80 degree days).   So 1.5 weeks after the airbag light repair, I roll back into the dealership and VERY UNHAPPY - I told them they better be covering it under the same deductable, and he pointed out that the coolant system (or transmission, which was my second guess of fluid) both would be covered under powertrain. 

I guess I am a little surprised, and happy, that the radiator system would be powertrain, but ok. 

Anyhow, it was the pump, they put it under pressure and found the leak from the "weephole"-  Not sure why a waterpump would have a weephole- but whatever.  In shop at 7:15am, ready at 2:30pm, Cost - Zero. 

Somewhat disturbed by an early repair on this, but if at the factory, which was new producing these, they had a problem installing the gaskets or a quality problem with the gaskets or the pump itself, I am guessing that they have fixed that by now.   If this does fail again in 3 more years, I think it will be under the SC, but GM will be getting a big piece of my mind.  I am about to write a letter over the "programming" failure on the airbag warning, which just coincientally failed about 48 hours after the 3 year anniversary of delivery.  Very suspicious.

2012 Nissan Altima - Purch May 2012
2012 Nissan Frontier - Purch May 2012
2007 GMC Acadia FWD SLT2, Deep Blue, Titanium Leather, 2Row Bench, DVD, HUD. -- Ord Feb 07, Delivered Apr 07, Traded May 12
2008 White Mustang- V6 Pony Package, Tan Leather, 5 Speed.  Purch Jun 08, Traded May 12
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 07:49:07 AM »

I am about to write a letter over the "programming" failure on the airbag warning, which just coincientally failed about 48 hours after the 3 year anniversary of delivery.  Very suspicious.

Seems like bad luck to me  Undecided

khansen30

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 09:17:18 AM »

A week later, wife spots puddle on floor of garage, passenger side in front of the wheel.  Resovoir was empty, but car not overheating.  (failure happened shortly after our first 80 degree days).   So 1.5 weeks after the airbag light repair, I roll back into the dealership and VERY UNHAPPY - I told them they better be covering it under the same deductable, and he pointed out that the coolant system (or transmission, which was my second guess of fluid) both would be covered under powertrain. 

I guess I am a little surprised, and happy, that the radiator system would be powertrain, but ok. 

Anyhow, it was the pump, they put it under pressure and found the leak from the "weephole"-  Not sure why a waterpump would have a weephole- but whatever.  In shop at 7:15am, ready at 2:30pm, Cost - Zero. 

Somewhat disturbed by an early repair on this, but if at the factory, which was new producing these, they had a problem installing the gaskets or a quality problem with the gaskets or the pump itself, I am guessing that they have fixed that by now.   If this does fail again in 3 more years, I think it will be under the SC, but GM will be getting a big piece of my mind.  I am about to write a letter over the "programming" failure on the airbag warning, which just coincientally failed about 48 hours after the 3 year anniversary of delivery.  Very suspicious.

How many miles do you have on yours.  The pump went out on my 07 Outlook at about 22K miles.

Signature:
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab (Mine)       2011 Chevy Camaro (Wifes)
Black - Cashmere  Leather                       Yellow - Black Interior
Everything
Proud Former Owner of a 2007 Outlook and 2009 Acadia
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »

Not sure why a waterpump would have a weephole- but whatever.   

The weephole is a visual indication of a pending internal failure for the pump~when the pump is functioning there are no drips from the weephole; when it fails or starts to fail it will drip

Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 05:13:53 PM »

That 'weephole' is there to keep the outside of the shaft seal at atmospheric pressure.  The difference in pressure between the outside and inside of the water pump helps the seal to work properly even as the shaft bushing starts to wear a bit.  Sometimes, the shaft bushing will wear out and start whining before the seal starts to leak.

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
Janderson12

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »

I have a 2007 SLT that I purchased new. 38,000 miles. Ran a 5 minute errand, and once I got home discovered a HUGE puddle of coolent (it's pink) on my garage floor. There was still some liquid in the overflow when I looked under the hood. The engine temp was normal. It was leaking from the bottom and it filled a 12 oz glass that I grab and put under it. I am a single mom, and I would like to have some thoughts, or look ata drawing and try to have an idea of what is going on before I go in and throw myself at the mercy of my dealer. I was in there this week because the front sunroof was leaking. The recall work had been done on it. They told me I need to have my drain-holes blown out - that it leaked because they were clogged. They charged me $120 which seemed odd.

What would leak from the bottom? Is the coolent pink? It sounds like the water pump is covered in the power train warranty? and are there "drawings" available somewhere so I can look for the leak and get an idea?

Sorry for the babbling...I just feel like they take advantage of me.
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »

Definitely sounds like the water pump, but I don't have any drawings.  Luckily the pump is covered under the powertrain warranty.

$120 to blow out the drain tubes........... so sad but if it handles the issue; then the associated costs of the repairs from a water leak far outweigh the $120 IMO

rbarrios
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 04:27:01 PM »

Is the coolent pink?

Sorry for the babbling...I just feel like they take advantage of me.

The coolant used is called Dexcool.

Yes- it has a reddish/pinkish/orangy color to it.

Here is the coolant in my 2003 Trailblazer. (i was replacing the thermostat)- also to point out-- that this engine had 111,000 miles at the time the pic was taken. the engine now has over 153,000....
Its significant to point out that it has 111K-- because it looks so darn clean inside the engine...

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
onemoresmith

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 01:39:24 PM »

Well, at 45,000 miles we were watching our temp gauge go up a notch or two a few times in one week, then the coolant reservoir was low.  I squeezed the top radiator hose and it felt empty while the lower radiator hose was full and firm.  The technician told me that it had a bad water pump seal, so they replaced the unit.  There were never any coolant drops or puddling under the car, so I think the coolant was vaporized immediately after breaking through the seal a drop at a time.  The hot weather around here (90+ degrees) sent the colling system into overdrive and all the symptoms started presenting themselves.  I appreciate this forum -- and the posts about the bad water pumps allowed me to investigate my situation and come to the correct conclusion.  It always feels good when you can perfectly diagnose the problem to the service technician.  Thank you acadiaforum.net
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »

Well, at 45,000 miles we were watching our temp gauge go up a notch or two a few times in one week, then the coolant reservoir was low.  I squeezed the top radiator hose and it felt empty while the lower radiator hose was full and firm.  The technician told me that it had a bad water pump seal, so they replaced the unit.  There were never any coolant drops or puddling under the car, so I think the coolant was vaporized immediately after breaking through the seal a drop at a time.  The hot weather around here (90+ degrees) sent the colling system into overdrive and all the symptoms started presenting themselves.  I appreciate this forum -- and the posts about the bad water pumps allowed me to investigate my situation and come to the correct conclusion.  It always feels good when you can perfectly diagnose the problem to the service technician.  Thank you acadiaforum.net
Was that covered by the PT warranty?

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 01:43:15 PM »

What model year?

aandm

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 02:44:48 PM »

Last week had same problem with mine 2008, but only @ 39000KM, not miles. Dealer replaced the water pump but today i noticed the gauge going up couple of notch but came down again! I am keeping a very close eye on the temp guagae.

Carbon Black 2008 GMC Acadia SLT1-FWD
FORUM GM
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »

Last week had same problem with mine 2008, but only @ 39000KM, not miles. Dealer replaced the water pump but today i noticed the gauge going up couple of notch but came down again! I am keeping a very close eye on the temp guagae.

Might have a thermostat starting to get stuck

rbarrios
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 02:53:34 PM »

could be air bubbles in the cooling system which my eventually get burped out...
I would every morning- check the reservoir- and note its level...
if low- bring it up to the cold mark.(use 50/50 premixed dexcool available at wal mart)
repeat the following day--- and the next and the next-- until it no longer drops.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
aandm

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 03:10:38 PM »

could be air bubbles in the cooling system which my eventually get burped out...
I would every morning- check the reservoir- and note its level...
if low- bring it up to the cold mark.(use 50/50 premixed dexcool available at wal mart)
repeat the following day--- and the next and the next-- until it no longer drops.

Thanks, there is no wal-mart where we are, wish we had one though, got the gist of the message.
cheers

Carbon Black 2008 GMC Acadia SLT1-FWD
onemoresmith

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 03:16:34 PM »

It is a 2008 model and Yes, it was covered under the PT warranty.  I will keep a daily check on the coolant level and make sure to top it off.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories