Is it Necessary to Clean Fuel Injectors?

(1/10) > >>

Secam:
With 30,000 miles on my Acadia, the dealer told me that I needed to have the fuel injectors flushed for a cost of $150.  When I asked him why this wasn't part of the recommended service as laid out in the Acadia's manual or by GM Goodwrench, he told me that this is an "over-and-above" service and that "all dealerships offer this".

I did a bit of Googling and found that the reason fuel injector cleaning is not recommended by the manufacturer is that it is not needed if the vehicle is operated under normal conditions, uses good fuel and is maintained on a regular basis.

Is the dealer trying to lift a few more bills from my wallet or is fuel injector cleaning a must?

dfrank78:
In my experience fuel injector cleaning should be done occasionally.  It will keep the carbon and other buildup from building in the valves and throttle body and keep your emissions low.  It also keeps your engine running smooth and keeps it as fuel effecient as it can be.  Is it absolutely necessary,  no but it is a good idea to do it ocassionally. 

tekwarrior:
Quote from: Secam on March 30, 2009, 02:36:36 PM

Is the dealer trying to lift a few more bills from my wallet or is fuel injector cleaning a must?

Secam

If your Acadia performance & fuel mileage are unchanged, you have nothing to gain by cleaning the injectors. Few engines ever require this and it is not recommended by GM.

You might, however, consider a new more honest dealership.

Copperhead13:
Quote from: tekwarrior on March 30, 2009, 04:08:22 PM

Secam

If your Acadia performance & fuel mileage are unchanged, you have nothing to gain by cleaning the injectors.

I agree, most gas has additives to help keep everything clean.

The bottom line is:
If you don't have any drivability issues, you don't have injector issues.

xseler:
I always use Lucas Injector Cleaner at each oil change.  My '95 Chevy Fullsize has almost 200K miles and still runs smooth as silk (nothing has ever been done to the throttle body or pump).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page