Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
October 25, 2014, 07:51:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MERGED: Headlight Replacement with Pictures  (Read 50538 times, 90 Replies)
Danimal

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:33:22 PM »

Ok, I did a search and did not find anything, so here is the question:

How is the low beam headlight supposed to be changed out?

I got to it by removing the wheel well housing.  My dealer told me that they would have to remove the bumper cover.

My dealer told me that the low beam that burned out in just over 1 year and 13,000 miles was not covered under warranty but they would replace it for $100 plus the price of the bulb.  Needless to say I am  flaming mad at my dealer.

Is there an easier way than through the wheel well?

Thanks,  Dan

Wife's ride: 08 Acadia SLT-1 AWD Crimson Red, 2nd row captains chairs, HUD, black leather
My ride: 07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Silver, 6-speed
Blue_2009_SLT2
Lobbying for liberty
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

Fleet HQ & our combined fleet...

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »

Welcome to the forum. We managed to hide that info so well it is not directly on our site:
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/GMC_Acadia_H11_5000k_Low_beam_HID_Upgrade_s/147.htm
This deals w/ a HID install, but the access is the same. You'll have to jack it up & remove the front wheels & fender liners.

There is a link to this info in a sticky on the Xenon Depot board here.

If I find something more relevant (I recall there being another method) I'll link it here.

EDIT:
Try this:
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=5458.0

Silverado is great about finding out how to do stuff like this & the MIA glovebox lamp.  thumbs up

My name is Blue_2009_SLT2
Moderator of the Forum of the Acadia
Retired member of the Law Enforcement Legions
Loyal servant to the forum admin
Husband to a murdered Constitution, father to a murdered income
And I will have my vengeance... in this election and the next.
Danimal

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:57:18 PM »

This deals w/ a HID install, but the access is the same. You'll have to jack it up & remove the front wheels & fender liners.

There is a link to this info in a sticky on the Xenon Depot board here.

If I find something more relevant (I recall there being another method) I'll link it here.

EDIT:
Try this:
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=5458.0

Silverado is great about finding out how to do stuff like this & the MIA glovebox lamp.  thumbs up

Hey Blue thanks for the info.  I think that the person at GM responsible for this design should be fired.  I had an 02 Avalanche and the bulb replacement was a snap.  The whole headlight capsule was removable making for easy access to the bulbs.

Thanks again for the info.  I actually found this site looking for the bulb size.

Wife's ride: 08 Acadia SLT-1 AWD Crimson Red, 2nd row captains chairs, HUD, black leather
My ride: 07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Silver, 6-speed
GeoHawk
Thread Killer
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

GeoHawk no function beer well without

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »

Thanks again for the info.  I actually found this site looking for the bulb size.

Sometimes you just get lucky with a search.   wink  Glad you stumbled across us.  Welcome to the forum, and most here agree, the engineer that came up with this design should be beaten. 

2008 Acadia FWD SLT-2 Liquid Silver/Brick (Built 8/24/07 - Mine 9/7/07) - Wave Plate Victim at 66,000 miles
2007 Silverado CC 4x4 LTZ 6.0L (Built 2/19/07 - Mine 2/28/07)
2009 G5 5-spd (Built 11/10/08 - Mine 7/10/12)
2014 Cruze 2LT/RS 6-spd (Built 2/26/14 - Mine 3/22/14)
Blue_2009_SLT2
Lobbying for liberty
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

Fleet HQ & our combined fleet...

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:51:43 PM »

Glad it helped. Maybe the responsible party was one of the 7,500 taking a buyout that was in the news this week. I share the same lament when I try & do maintenance on my '95 Trans Am- they hid 1/3 of the motor under the cowl. A couple more inches in width and a few more in length would have made access far easier and not distorted the lines of the car. For much the same reason I won't buy a C5 Corvette, a car I consider one of the most beautiful ever made. When I worked at a dealer many years ago we came to the conclusion that those designing the cars never had to work on them.

My name is Blue_2009_SLT2
Moderator of the Forum of the Acadia
Retired member of the Law Enforcement Legions
Loyal servant to the forum admin
Husband to a murdered Constitution, father to a murdered income
And I will have my vengeance... in this election and the next.
lxc

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 02:26:19 PM »

I had had (a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix) headlamp replaced under 3/36 bump-to-bumper warranty before.  Headlamp is not a regular maintenance item.
DeForger

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 09:22:46 PM »

Ok, I did a search and did not find anything, so here is the question:

How is the low beam headlight supposed to be changed out?

I got to it by removing the wheel well housing.  My dealer told me that they would have to remove the bumper cover.

My dealer told me that the low beam that burned out in just over 1 year and 13,000 miles was not covered under warranty but they would replace it for $100 plus the price of the bulb.  Needless to say I am  flaming mad at my dealer.

Is there an easier way than through the wheel well?

Thanks,  Dan

That should be covered under the 3 year,36000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty! We changed them all the time at No Charge.

Bobby

2011 Acadia SLT-2 FWD/Cyber Gray/8 Pass/Ebony leather/Heated&cooled seats/Tech package/Rear DVD Entertainment/Trailering

2009 Acadia SLT-2 FWD/Silver green/8 pass/Ebony leather/Heated&cooled seats/HID/Rear DVD Entertainment/Trailering/VBS Advanced remote- GM repurchase
r6champion

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 12:28:42 PM »

Hi,
We have a '09 Acadia SLT1 for a little more than 8 months with 15k km. I can't help to wonder how to you replace any headlight bulb if one of them goes out. When we first got our Acadia back in April, I popped open the hood and noticed that there is no way on earth you can DIY the headlight bulbs unless you rip lots of stuff out before you can actually get to the headlights, or take it to dealer for an arm and a leg. Does anyone have any actual hand-on experience on DIY headlight bulb replacement. I'm sure this topic has already come up before, but I can't seem to find the right thread.

Thanks

'09 Acadia SLT1 - deep blue colour, hit the road package, driver confidence package, 2nd row captain chairs, tri-zone auto climate control, 18" machined Aluminum wheels, power liftgate, factory remote engine start, 2-way advanced remote start
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 01:30:44 PM »

Hi,
We have a '09 Acadia SLT1 for a little more than 8 months with 15k km. I can't help to wonder how to you replace any headlight bulb if one of them goes out. When we first got our Acadia back in April, I popped open the hood and noticed that there is no way on earth you can DIY the headlight bulbs unless you rip lots of stuff out before you can actually get to the headlights, or take it to dealer for an arm and a leg. Does anyone have any actual hand-on experience on DIY headlight bulb replacement. I'm sure this topic has already come up before, but I can't seem to find the right thread.

Thanks

Try this:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2213.0

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
Swarren7

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 02:18:27 PM »

Has anyone determined if Silverstar make a low beam bulb for the Acadia.  If so, what is the model number?

2008 Acadia SLT-1 FWD Liquid Silver, Titanium Leather, Sunroof, Trailering, Pwr Liftgate, DVD Entertainment, 19" Wheels, 115V Power (build date - 1/9/08)
ottawacats

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 04:23:15 PM »

From what I was told "Silverstar" does not make a H11 low beam, they do offer the 9005 High beam. If you go to a look up Putco light bulbs they do care them.

Matt

2012 Crystal Red SLT-1 with DVD,sunroof,trailer package
2003 Grand am GT, black,grey leather,heated seats,sunroof, loaded.......
2005 Arctic cat 600cc snowmobile, ported,piped,clutched and more to come
rbarrios
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 01:44:48 AM »

Sylvania is now making the H11 Silverstar. For a long time- they did not offer it--- dont know why.
Recently saw it mentioned on their website... I emailed them- and they did verify that the H11 was coming to the market.
I visited Pep Boys and bought 4 H11 bulbs.  I installed 2 on my 2007 Impala and installed 2 on my 2010 Traverse. (also installed 2 silverstar high beams on my traverse).
To install the bulbs- I had to go thru the wheel well.
here is a thread on the traverse forum- with a few pics- of factory bulb on one side and silverstar on the other....
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=611.0

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
r6champion

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 08:46:50 AM »

It looks like  a lot of work just for the light bulbs. Is there another way beside the fender liner method?

'09 Acadia SLT1 - deep blue colour, hit the road package, driver confidence package, 2nd row captain chairs, tri-zone auto climate control, 18" machined Aluminum wheels, power liftgate, factory remote engine start, 2-way advanced remote start
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »

It looks like  a lot of work just for the light bulbs. Is there another way beside the fender liner method?

Head on over to your stealer.

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
the_ski_guy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 06:59:38 PM »

Just replaced the drivers side low beam.  Only takes 20min, and this was the first time I have done it!  Sure you could remove the wheel and the entire fender liner but it wasn't necessary! Just turn the wheel so you can access the liner screws, take them out, remove the two upper clips and open up the liner enough so you can get your arm in to grab the bulb.  I had both hands in the gap I created, and just used a little "feel" to get it done.

Still a pain in the butt, but saved myself the 2hrs labour charge the "stealer" wanted to charge!
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 07:14:45 PM »

Just replaced the drivers side low beam.  Only takes 20min, and this was the first time I have done it!  Sure you could remove the wheel and the entire fender liner but it wasn't necessary! Just turn the wheel so you can access the liner screws, take them out, remove the two upper clips and open up the liner enough so you can get your arm in to grab the bulb.  I had both hands in the gap I created, and just used a little "feel" to get it done.

Still a pain in the butt, but saved myself the 2hrs labour charge the "stealer" wanted to charge!

Pics would have been really useful  Undecided but I think most of us know what you did by your description

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
rbarrios
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 10:09:04 PM »

id say very close to this....

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=610.0

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-   84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 12:09:26 AM »

Nice; thanks for the cross post  thumbs up

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
newz54

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 04:42:56 PM »

Despite the fact that my 2007 acadia is still under warranty....I decided to tackle replacing my drivers side low beam headlight (non hid) .   I thought I could save some time as the dealer often takes hours.  Plus I wanted to know how to do it once my warranty was gone.

I read the many posts and thought I could handle it by going through the wheel well.  As has been discussed you can turn the tire so you have more room to work.  I unscrewed the many screws along the front edge of the wheel well.  Next removed the plastic plugs that were used inside the well.  Using  a flat screwdriver I popped the center plug.  After I removed  the insert I was able to pry the remaining body off the wheel well.

I was able to pull the well cover enough to see the back of the headlight.  I put my hand inside and twisted off the black round cover at the rear of the headlight.  Here's were is got difficult.   I had to twist off the bulb housing...but it wouldn't budge.   While I wasn't positive,  I assumed it was counterclockwise to open.  Eventually with great strain I turned the bulb housing.  I was then able to wiggle out the housing from the body of the headlight.

Unfortunately it got more difficult.   With very little room I had to remove the bulb from the wire harness but it was very tight and wouldn't move.  You have to pry open two plastic clips while you try to pull it off.  Unfortunately the harness had no visible nibs that would allow me to pry off the connector.   After ten minutes of prying I decided I needed more room to work.  I was worried I would break the connector or wires in the awkward position.  So the tire had to come off.  I used the terribe jack that comes with the car (unlike foreign cars that have a seperate crank for the jack...the acadia only has one tire iron and it has a wide bend preventing you from quicking raising the car.)
Once I removed the tire, I removed a half dozen plugs but the wheel well cover still wouldn't come out.  I discovered that is was still attached with two screws near the front of the car.    Once they were removed I was able to remove the well cover.
  Even with the extra room I still couldn't remove the connector.  I tried using plastic keychain membership cards that you get a drugstores and markets.  Wedging the card under the clips I was able to get the connector off but it took many tries and lots of force. 

I knew the rest would be easy and it was.   Put on the new bulb (h11) to the connector.   Screwed the headlight housing onto the housing turning clockwise.   Screwed on the headlight cover. Replaced the wheel well cover.  Replaced the tire. 

I have attached some photos that I hope will help other people wanting to tackle this job.  I would be carefull removing the connector as you could damage the connector or wires.  Next time I think I am going to make a tool to help hold back the clips.  Maybe a thin piece of sheet metal bent in a "U" so that both clips will be held back at the same time you are trying to pull the connector.   I assume technicans use something like that.

Total time= 1  hour .  Bulb -14.99.    Needless to say I am not happy that a simple headlight replacement requires so much work and time.             

2007 Acadia slt (purchased April 1st)
standard fwd
18 inch tires (37 psi)
sixathome
#1 Member of the "discontinued club"!
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 04:49:41 PM »

Nice job and pic's  thumbs up. I assume that there was swearing and some  Beer Beer afterwards  Grin.

2009' SATURN OUTLOOK 1XR FWD, SOLD
2013 Chevy Suburban 4X4 Crystal Red Tintcoat/Ebony
2005 VUE
2008 GMC SIERRA CREW Z71 Sonoma Red/Ebony cloth, LC9 BlackBear tuned
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories