Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
August 30, 2014, 10:10:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Acadia Sales Numbers:    Sept: 5,287      YTD Total: 62,013      All Time: 323,333  (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVD audio/back speakers only  (Read 6088 times, 8 Replies)
djkson

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2009, 01:01:57 PM »

Hi All,
Just wondering is there a way to get the audio from the factory installed DVD player to be only in the rear speakers? Is it possible to get the center channel audio into the rear speakers? Would this be done on the audio setup of the DVD, ie. play it not in 5.1? If my daughter sits in the rear seats you have to turn up the volume so much so she can hear it from the center front channel, the people in the front seats kind of get blasted with something they can not see- no NAV or lockpick. I know the easy thing is use headphones but what if I don't want her to use heaphones?Huh? If playing a DVD and I turn on the rear seat controls(driver seat center console) the volume becomes less because it is shutting down the rear speakers- just the opposite I am looking for. This might not be possible- I know.
Thanx
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »

I think your only option is the headphones

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
dj_jonnyv

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 10:32:24 PM »

I think your only option is the headphones

Ditto...I don't even think I've ever heard of an aftermarket or home theater system capable of that, unless you put your home system in a 5 channel stereo mode or something.

'09 Acadia SLT-2 AWD, Carbon Black Metallic, Ebony Leather Interior, Boated
mckcab
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 08:28:21 AM »

You could try using your settings and diverting all speakers to the back.  I have done that when I had a car full of kids and not enough headphones.  Other than that, I haven't heard of anything.  If you do, let us know.

2005 Midnight Blue G35 Coupe (VROOM!)
2007 Red Jewel SLT-2 Acadia FWD with everything

Walk softly and carry a big stick!
biggs4040

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:44:40 AM »

I would definitely check the fade setting on the DVD. Each SOURCE has it's own settings for BASS, TREBLE, and FADE. You may have already done this, but some don't realize each source can be adjusted on it's own. Good luck.

2008 Acadia SLE with auto climate, Bose DVD, towing, and back-up sensors. Captains chairs, and added DIC. Red Jewel exterior. In Central NY.
2008 Silverado Z-71 Ext cab.
2007 Harley StreetGlide
bjbyers

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 03:33:27 PM »

Same question here, anyone have experience with separate audio in front and back?  There is a similar thread here with an exerpt from the manual:
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1681.0

Symptom:
Can't get different audio source in front and rear, with or without headphones. 

My interpretation of the manual and other literature was that the front and the back audio can play two different things... hence the reason for a rear console.  Literature discusses multiple concurrent sources, and if I recall correctly with the wireless headsets channel 1 was the built-in dvd and channel 2 whatever else was you want between all available sources (AM, FM, XM, Aux Input), and even a reference to the rear controls able to control a CD in the front player- all "presumably" with the front passengers doing their own thing).  The headphones are great and my 2 year old seems to tolerate them better than I expected, but I have not read anything that says in order for front and rear passengers to play two sources, the rear must use the headphones.

The only thing I can think of why I can't enjoy my XM in the front while my daughter toots along to the Elmo DVD (through rear speakers, without headphones) is a reference in the manual that when the rear entertainment is engaged I should see a headphone symbol on my radio display.

My audio settings have are all centered for FRONT/REAR/LEFT/RIGHT.

Ideas?

Purchased 4/23/09:
2009 Acadia SLT-2 AWD Summit White w/ Ebony Leather.
Loaded: Nav, DVD, Cooled Seats, Sunroof, Tech w/ Heads-up display, HID lights ugprade, Tow, Advanced Two-way remote start, and aftermarket goodies.
s2acadia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »

Its been a while since i done this...but i'm thinking its a bug...if you fade the sound all the way to the back and there is no center channel......press the power on the rear center console(which will kill the back speakers too), then press the power button again to turn it right back off....i think that fixes your center channel issue with the front speakers off problem.

However...we haven't had this problem in a while because i wanted to do what you are talking about....listen to XM in the front and Elmo in the back...so i went to walmart and bout some little $10 speakers in the same section you buy head phones.  These speakers don't take power or batteries....then i bought a 6 foot headphone extension cord.  Then i mounted the speakers inside the car seat...and ran the extension cable under the floor mat and up to the rear headphone jack...now i can listen to xm and my daughter can watch her dvd...I control the volume of her DVD with the volume knob on the rear console...and she doesn't have to wear headphones...it also heps because the speakers are pretty close to her head so, they don't have to be very loud....as a matter of fact, soft enough I don't have to hear those cartoons for hours while traveling.  Headphones would be easier, but my daughter is 1.5 and won't keep the headphones on her head, so this solution works for us!

2008 Summit White Ebony Leather SLT DVD   Convenience Package Preference Package 7 Passenger Express Lift Gate
FORUM GM
FORMER ACADIA COMMANDER; NOW IMPALA HERDER
Global Moderator
Acadia NIRVANA

I'M AN ACCOUNT TAKER AND A THREAD BREAKER

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 08:02:31 PM »

Same question here, anyone have experience with separate audio in front and back?  There is a similar thread here with an exerpt from the manual:
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1681.0

Symptom:
Can't get different audio source in front and rear, with or without headphones. 

My interpretation of the manual and other literature was that the front and the back audio can play two different things... hence the reason for a rear console.  Literature discusses multiple concurrent sources, and if I recall correctly with the wireless headsets channel 1 was the built-in dvd and channel 2 whatever else was you want between all available sources (AM, FM, XM, Aux Input), and even a reference to the rear controls able to control a CD in the front player- all "presumably" with the front passengers doing their own thing).  The headphones are great and my 2 year old seems to tolerate them better than I expected, but I have not read anything that says in order for front and rear passengers to play two sources, the rear must use the headphones.

The only thing I can think of why I can't enjoy my XM in the front while my daughter toots along to the Elmo DVD (through rear speakers, without headphones) is a reference in the manual that when the rear entertainment is engaged I should see a headphone symbol on my radio display.

My audio settings have are all centered for FRONT/REAR/LEFT/RIGHT.

Ideas?

Here's my experience with this; if someone in the second row wants to listen to something different than the front passengers; then they have to have the headphones on which would give you the headphone symbol on the display.  I don't think the second and third rows can listen/watch a DVD without headphones engaged while the front passengers listen to something else (FM,XM etc.)  I think the key here is the headphones

2014 Impala LS (non-eco)-Build date 12/13/2013  Mine 3/15/2014
"I don't care what you think about me; I don't think about you at all"
bonk1313
Hey members, Update your signatures with vehicle details. And post some pics of your ACADIA to share.
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

Carbon Black 2008 GMC Acadia SLT 2 Ebony 2-2-3

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 08:36:43 PM »

Its been a while since i done this...but i'm thinking its a bug...if you fade the sound all the way to the back and there is no center channel......press the power on the rear center console(which will kill the back speakers too), then press the power button again to turn it right back off....i think that fixes your center channel issue with the front speakers off problem.

However...we haven't had this problem in a while because i wanted to do what you are talking about....listen to XM in the front and Elmo in the back...so i went to walmart and bout some little $10 speakers in the same section you buy head phones.  These speakers don't take power or batteries....then i bought a 6 foot headphone extension cord.  Then i mounted the speakers inside the car seat...and ran the extension cable under the floor mat and up to the rear headphone jack...now i can listen to xm and my daughter can watch her dvd...I control the volume of her DVD with the volume knob on the rear console...and she doesn't have to wear headphones...it also heps because the speakers are pretty close to her head so, they don't have to be very loud....as a matter of fact, soft enough I don't have to hear those cartoons for hours while traveling.  Headphones would be easier, but my daughter is 1.5 and won't keep the headphones on her head, so this solution works for us!

I did the same thing. I have the speakers around the carseat, and plugged into headset jack on armrest with Audio controls. Turn Headrest DVD system to FM modulator, turn 2nd row audio controls on to FM channel, and listen to XM/CD/AUX up front. Plays DVD over little speakers and regular radio up front. thumbs up

19's,2xSky,Trailering,GM HR DVD,Husky Liners,Bully Imposter GI51 Grille,Cargo Rails
Built 9/07,5/8 FLASH,XD XTREME 4300K HID KIT,Putco LED Interior Lights,
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories