Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
July 28, 2014, 04:17:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Checking Power Steering Fluid?  (Read 22689 times, 30 Replies)
Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2008, 04:13:19 PM »

2009 Manual states to "remove oil filler cap then slide engine cover back and lift".
I tried sliding the cover back, but it didn't slid.
Anyone remove the engine cover yet?

Thanks!

2009 GMC Acadia SLE, FWD.              
Quicksilver/Titanium, Convenience/     
Preferred/Visibility/Trailering.
SAC Member
vogelm1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 05:52:52 PM »

Once the oil filler cap is removed, I found the trim cover pretty much lifts straight up...there are 3 or 4 little rubber grommets that the cover fits into.  The first time I pulled it off, it was a bit stubborn.  As long as you pull upward and start at one of the corners you shouldn't have any problems.
Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 06:07:21 PM »

Is your vehicle an 08 or 09?

SAC Member
vogelm1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 09:44:03 AM »

It's an '08...I see now you were asking about an '09, which may be different.  Sorry.  The '07's and '08's were the same so jumped to conclusions.
Sparkchsr

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:21:53 PM »

on the 09 you remove the oil cap and pull straight up. sounds like it was the same on the 08 but I have never done one.

2009 Summit White Acadia AWD SLT2
Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 06:56:57 PM »

Thanks, i'll check it out later.

Someone mentioned about slightly over filling the
power steering fluid on the 2007 and 2008 models.

Anyone know anything about this, and if so, should the 2009's
also be filled the same?

Thanks!

SAC Member
GAR
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:01:26 PM »

I talked with my service dept and they said that the TSB indicated to overfill when the symptoms occur.  They indicated that I should not just overfill because the few with the problem are fixed this way.  I would leave it alone unless you have the symptoms.  Ours has been fine from the factory.

2008 Acadia SLT-1 AWD Red Jewel w/Titanium, Convenience PKG, DVD, 8 pass, Heated Washer. Delivery on 9/17/2007. May 8th Transmission Update 9/24/2008.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
2002 Chevy Tracker 4WD ZR2
Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 08:32:17 PM »

Thanks GAR!

SAC Member
Rat407

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 10:22:26 AM »

I would make sure it is properly filled to the correct level. If you are having steering issues then it needs to be directed to the dealer for proper repair/maintenance.  Like your vehicles brakes, steering is something not to be taken lightly, if there is a problem safety is rule #1, get it looked at ASAP. 

Blue_2009_SLT2
Lobbying for liberty
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

Fleet HQ & our combined fleet...

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 11:49:10 AM »

I just found a similar issue on my hybrid BMW. I never thought about how much PS fluid is used by a system while in operation. When I moved it yesterday, it was growling, so I looked at the reservoir and sure enough it was low, but not anywhere near dry. I added fluid and technically overfilled* it, and the noise went away.

* This car uses a Mustang Cobra hydroboost braking system, so PS fluid is used by both the steering and brakes. Due to this situation, I found that overfilling the reservoir is necessary.

My name is Blue_2009_SLT2
Moderator of the Forum of the Acadia
Retired member of the Law Enforcement Legions
Loyal servant to the forum admin
Husband to a murdered Constitution, father to a murdered income
And I will have my vengeance... in this election and the next.
Blue_2009_SLT2
Lobbying for liberty
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

Fleet HQ & our combined fleet...

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 06:59:09 AM »

Checked the PS level in our '09 last night. There are three grommets that hold the engine cover in place. A firm pull upwards will remove it.

I was initially concerned due to hearing what sounded like a little PS whine when parking, and then seeing what appeared to be some type of oil on the plastic parts in front of and behind the motor under the hood while I was looking to see if there was a fuel filter there. I have attached some pics of these pieces. As far as I can tell, this is some type of protectant (maybe Armor All) the dealer used on these pieces. You can see the bugs and debris trapped on the pieces in the pics. None of the fluid levels were low, and it occurred to me if this was a leak, it would be all over the motor, not just on these pieces. I used some cleaner and wiped it off.

I'm going to pay close attention to the PS & listen to it w/ the window down in the garage to see if it is indeed making any noise.

My name is Blue_2009_SLT2
Moderator of the Forum of the Acadia
Retired member of the Law Enforcement Legions
Loyal servant to the forum admin
Husband to a murdered Constitution, father to a murdered income
And I will have my vengeance... in this election and the next.
SLT09_ACADIA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »

I talked with my service dept and they said that the TSB indicated to overfill when the symptoms occur.  They indicated that I should not just overfill because the few with the problem are fixed this way.  I would leave it alone unless you have the symptoms.  Ours has been fine from the factory.

why would overfilling make the noise go away?
Damron

Wife's 2007 AWD SLT-2 Fully-Loaded

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 04:02:38 PM »

I participated in another post related to the Power Steering at http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2769.40   It discusses using the "1/4 inch" overfill method on the powersteering.  It might be helpful. 

Some possible reasons the "1/4 inch overfill" solution works:  Perhaps the Power Steering reservoir on the Acadia is simply slightly too small (i.e. the "full" mark was mis-marked lower than it should have been by the manufacturer).  Not enough fluid to properly suction feed the power steering pump can cause "whirling" noises when the pump is running (when the steering wheel is turned).  Imagine the gurgling noises associated with whirl pools, like bath water draining, but at a higher frequency as the system in the Acadia is much smaller and faster.   Reservoir levels are designed to have enough fluid in them to prevent this from happening.  Maintaining a higher fluid reservoir level provides enough fluid to prevent the whirl pool effect and prevent fluid bubbles (foaming).  Additionally, any motor designed to be submerged in a given amount of fluid is louder when it is not submerged as designed.  Less fluid = less sound insulation = louder noises. 

-Damron
SLT09_ACADIA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 12:31:04 PM »

anyone know what needs to be removed for this to be replaced and what was the success rate on giding ride of the noise gone or still there?
Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 03:54:36 PM »

I participated in another post related to the Power Steering at http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2769.40   It discusses using the "1/4 inch" overfill method on the powersteering.  It might be helpful.  

Some possible reasons the "1/4 inch overfill" solution works:  Perhaps the Power Steering reservoir on the Acadia is simply slightly too small (i.e. the "full" mark was mis-marked lower than it should have been by the manufacturer).  Not enough fluid to properly suction feed the power steering pump can cause "whirling" noises when the pump is running (when the steering wheel is turned).  Imagine the gurgling noises associated with whirl pools, like bath water draining, but at a higher frequency as the system in the Acadia is much smaller and faster.   Reservoir levels are designed to have enough fluid in them to prevent this from happening.  Maintaining a higher fluid reservoir level provides enough fluid to prevent the whirl pool effect and prevent fluid bubbles (foaming).  Additionally, any motor designed to be submerged in a given amount of fluid is louder when it is not submerged as designed.  Less fluid = less sound insulation = louder noises.  

Actually, I believe the technical term would be pump cavitation.  This is a lack of continuous flow of fluid through a pump that expects a continuous 'fluid bath' and causes the impellor to "suck air' thus creating cavities in an otherwise continuous strean of fluid.  It causes the pump to make noises and decreases the efficiency of anything the pump is used to activate.

Please, be very cautious when doing an "overfill" of the p/s reservior by yourself.  Don't over do it!  Someone did that on one of my company vehicles and caused an underhood fire when fluid was pushed out of the reservior cap onto the exhaust manifold.  Luckily, I had a handy fire extinguisher and prevented a complete vehicle melt down.

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
big bear craig
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 03:58:37 PM »

Mine was making a groaning noise when turning the steering wheel right or left.  Over filling 1/4 " cured the noise.  Just remove the oil filler cap and pull straight up on the engine cover to access the p/s pump.
SLT09_ACADIA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 04:40:07 PM »

Actually, I believe the technical term would be pump cavitation.  This is a lack of continuous flow of fluid through a pump that expects such.  It cause the pump to make noises and decreases the efficiency of anything the pump is used to activate.

Please, be very cautious when doing an "overfill" of the p/s reservior by yourself.  Don't over do it!  Someone did that on one of my company vehicles and caused an underhood fire when fluid was pushed out of the reservior cap onto the exhaust manifold.  Luckily, I had a handy fire extinguisher and prevented a complete vehicle melt down.

wow are you serious!
SLT09_ACADIA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 04:42:10 PM »

Mine was making a groaning noise when turning the steering wheel right or left.  Over filling 1/4 " cured the noise.  Just remove the oil filler cap and pull straight up on the engine cover to access the p/s pump.

I can't believe that really worked and still baffled how this would do it. i mentioned it to the service manager and he said that was impossible? he said when you hear a noise like that it means that the fulid is to low and when he checked mine it was on the level mark..i'm to afraid to fill it myself..after reading speolos story .
SLT09_ACADIA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 04:43:50 PM »

did you do this when the engine was hot or cold?
Speleos
I'm Bat Man, Master of the underground!
Acadia GOD!

The truth is not always found on the internet!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 05:09:03 PM »

did you do this when the engine was hot or cold?

It's always good to measure and fill p/s when the fluid is 'cold.'  That serves well to minimize any errors.

2007 Acadia SLT-2, HiYo Silver/Titanium, no NAV, no HUD, no errors - SLT-2 Club #2 (I try harder), Silver Club #4
2009 Toyota Matrix S, Nautical Blue Metallic
2002 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, Ford Triton V-10
2002 EZ-Go Electric Golf Cart
2002 BigTex 17' Car Trailer
1995 Chevy C-2500
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories