Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
October 21, 2014, 05:35:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Acadia? Check out the all new GMC Terrain at http://www.TerrainForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acadia on 24's ... finally, pictures!  (Read 9821 times, 23 Replies)
stuey

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2008, 12:26:33 PM »

Some of you might have known that I put custom 24" rims on my Acadia quite a while ago... well here's pictures finally.

They are 24" MHT Forged Phase 6, Chrome center with a custom black powdercoated barrel.  They are the only set in the world that exists at this time..

I have 275/30/24 Kuhmo tires on them - I was going to run the 285/30 Pirelli Pzero Nero, but I had a set of the Kuhmos used kickin around so they were virtually free to me. 

The ride quality is amazing still - no noticable difference on most roads.  I just wish there was a lowering kit to eliminate the wheelwell gap. 

Other mods - Trex mesh grille which was powdercoated black, Trex billet GMC emblem, 8000k HID lights, de-badged tailgate, tinted windows, tinted taillights, Pioneer indash Navigation and DVD with built in Sirius radio.
stuey

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 12:33:31 PM »

More Pictures
kwoody51

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 01:13:41 PM »

Looks pretty nice thumbs up

Now you just need to put some bigger brakes on the front to fill up the gaps inside the wheels.  Also help make sure you can stop safely. 
TunedUp

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 01:21:17 PM »

de-badged tailgate,
Stuey,
Looks Hot Bro.... Cheers
Tips on removing the "GMC" on the gate please?
GAR
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »

The lower profile tires are not my thing, but I will say that I am impressed with how well these came out.  The think I like the most is that it is very unique and not just anyone has them.

2008 Acadia SLT-1 AWD Red Jewel w/Titanium, Convenience PKG, DVD, 8 pass, Heated Washer. Delivery on 9/17/2007. May 8th Transmission Update 9/24/2008.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
2002 Chevy Tracker 4WD ZR2
kirbys4

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 01:49:55 PM »

Love those wheels and grill!!! thumbs up  Where did you get the grill - I've been thinking about the Denali grill but I like yours much better!

2007 Acadia SLT AWD - Med. Brown Metallic - Sunroof and DVD
2010 GMC Sierra Z71 All-Terrain Pkg - Black
2001 Nitro Bass Fishing Boat - Blue/Gold
2004 Yamaha Grizzley 450 - Forrest Green
2001 Yamaha Warrior 350
KBacon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 01:57:58 PM »

I've got the exact same wheels!!!  >Cheesy

Just Kidding...

Looks very nice...  Better than I would have ever imagined.

Would you mind letting us know what they set you back?

Also what did you use to tint the tail lights?  Was it just overlay?  What %?  Those HIDs are in the standard projector housings correct?  How hard was the install?  Where did you get them?

'08 Acadia SLT1 FWD Cabon Black Metallic/Ebony
Sunroof, Cargo, Conv, Trailer, Power Liftgate.. Built 04/08
imgntht

Nuckin' Futs!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »

Looks good...you have more guts than I when it comes to the sidewall!  I would cringe at any potholes and Chicago has plenty! Shocked

How do you think the powdercoated lip is going to hold up against flying rocks? 

2007 GMC Acadia SLE AWD--Carbon Black/Titanium
Mods: GMC seat belt shoulder pads; Carbon Fiber sport pedals; 5-pc grille overlay set; Tinted reverse lights; Chrome body molding; 20x9 Bazo Forged B359 Monaco wheels; 255/55/20 Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires.  Cherry Bomb muffler, CBCM #5
stuey

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 02:49:09 PM »

No bigger brakes kits are out for these yet... but 24" does not make a crazy difference in braking.  I tow a 21' ski boat and it still stops no problem with the wheels.

THe GMC emblem is simple to get off - get a heat gun (or even a high powered hair dryer and some fishing line - heat up the glue underneath and use the fishing line to 'saw' through it.  After its off use a solvent of some type to get the residue off.  Careful, that double sided tape that holds the emblem on gets very hot with a heat gun.

The grille is a Trex (www.trexbillet.com) mesh .. its an overlay, but very good fit.  It comes in polished stainless but I powdercoated it black just to make the gmc emblem pop a bit more.  The emblem is from trex also and it bolts right in, very easy.

The rims ... well I really didn't have to pay for them.  I work for MHT.  They would retail probably in the $8500-9000 range.

The taillights are tinted with a mix of black paint and clear coat... not sure exactly, I just took them out and gave them to the local body shop that does it for me.  I think I should have gone darker but at least they still appear to be legal.. looks wicked at night.  

The HIDs are in the standard housing, yes.  Install... medium difficulty, there's no access behind the headlights from the top.  To make it easy take the inner wheel liner out complete... I just pulled off the 7 screws at the front, cranked the wheel one way, and peeled the wheel well back to get access.  I got them locally from a guy I know..

Sidewall is still decent.. I have a 3.25" sidewall still, plenty of tire to get through potholes.  Obviously I'm a little more careful when I drive, but I have hit the odd one in the past and never had a low pro tire blow (knock on wood!).  I've always had big wheels/low pros on every vehicle I've owned.  Powdercoat is pretty solid... I'm not worried about rocks or anything chipping it up.  If a rock is going to ding powdercoat it would have dinged chrome either way.. paint on the other hand is a different story. 
Rod S

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 03:20:27 PM »

NICE!!!!

Great to finally see them on.   

What kind of ski boat are you towing?  Do you ski the course?

2008 Acadia AWD SLT-2, in search of lightweight good looking 22's.
Hunt

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 03:34:15 PM »

Those are sic notworthy

2008 SLT-2, AWD,Nav/DVD, sunroofs,backup camera, HUD,HID,19" wheels,tow package, carbon black metallic
SpoiledK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 03:39:26 PM »

This is what I've been waiting for... Too many places have told me it can't be done... stuey, what's the specs on these wheels, offsets, width, weight..?  Thanks...

2008 Acadia SLT-1 FWD | Carbon/Ebony | Convenience Package | Dual SkyScape Sunroof | Power Liftgate | Trailering Provisions | DVD Entertainment | 35% Llumar Tint | V1 Radar
stuey

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 03:50:47 PM »

Rod... I have a 2003 Moomba DD... don't ski the course though, I weigh the sucker down and wakeboard  Grin  I've never actually tried skiing, too busy trying to get air!  I take it you do by your picture?  What boat do you have? 

Spoiled ... the wheels are 24 x 9, +35mm.  Fit right at the fender, don't stick out at all.  THe weight... not sure.. probably 35-40 lbs.  It can be done.. there's more styles available, just pricy to get a set made.   
Rod S

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »

Stuey,

I'm too beat up to wakeboard anymore although I go out a couple times a year just for old times sake.   My boat is a Malibu Response LX.    I course ski and I also like to drop the wedge, put my surf sac in the back left and wakesurf around the lake sans handle.   Boarders are amazed that I can cut and slash behind something other than a huge wakeboard boat.   

Rod S

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »

BTW - those 24's look in good proportion to the car.  Even better than 22's!   Cheers

vogelm1

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 08:39:26 PM »

Stuey,

I'm too beat up to wakeboard anymore although I go out a couple times a year just for old times sake.   My boat is a Malibu Response LX.    I course ski and I also like to drop the wedge, put my surf sac in the back left and wakesurf around the lake sans handle.   Boarders are amazed that I can cut and slash behind something other than a huge wakeboard boat.   

Don't mean to hijack your thread stuey, but there's yet another inboarder on the Acadia forum.  We have a 2005 MasterCraft 197.  I'm interested to hear that I may be able to surf behind it - never tried yet because I thought it couldn't be done and needed a big wakeboard boat.  I'd be curious to hear how Rod S weights his boat.  I do have a fat sac that is used for wakeboarding, but I'd imagine you'd need to weight down a corner with another sac?
Rod S

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 01:20:45 PM »

Stuey,

Don't mean to hijack your thread stuey, but there's yet another inboarder on the Acadia forum.  We have a 2005 MasterCraft 197.  I'm interested to hear that I may be able to surf behind it - never tried yet because I thought it couldn't be done and needed a big wakeboard boat.  I'd be curious to hear how Rod S weights his boat.  I do have a fat sac that is used for wakeboarding, but I'd imagine you'd need to weight down a corner with another sac?

I like skiing behind the 197.  We rotate boats at the club for course skiing.   

I started out using 7 gas cans filled with sand along with 4 more 50lb sandbags all piled in the back left corner/trunk AND the wedge plate down.   That was the hillbilly route since they all had duct tape on them.  I finally went to this:
http://www.wakeside.com/product/boat/ballast/ballast_bags/fly+high+pro+x+series+inboard+surf+sac.do

You will need more weight in the 197 as you don't have the wedge to help pull down the stern or to shape the wake.   What you weigh and size of board you ride will make a difference too.   I use an 5'7" board with 1.1 ptac fins.  The big ole fins that come with the board won't let you get loose on the wave face.   You need to be able to skid a bit to cut up and down the face since there isn't enough room for a straight running board.   I have a 42" LF that I can ride free but it's hard to stay in the sweet spot. 

You have a small wetted hull like mine so if you get too many people or don't have it weighted right it will wash out the wave and all you will have is foam. 

My buddy has an Air Nautique and it's a lot more forgiving since the wave is substantially bigger.  I think I prefer mine more because it is harder and more rewarding.  It's all fun even if you don't drop the handle.   What better way to make use of a choppy busy Sunday afternoon?

Do you tow with your Acadia?  I haven't had any issues.

stuey

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 07:12:53 PM »

Helps to have a locker sac also.. puts the entire boat lower in the water (sort of what the wedge will do), creating a larger wake overall, then sink the corner you want to surf on with a sac like Rod posted.  A couple of big friends sitting on the rear seat help also.  If you have a large enough area and the lake isn't that busy, then drive in a huge 'O' pattern to add even more wave.  Takes a bit of playing to get it just right..
Rod S

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 11:21:13 AM »

I forgot about this too, I did ride behind a 95 MC 190 with two BIG guys on the back right corner and a medium sized driver and passenger and I was able to ride free on that boat with NO ballast (other than peeps).

Here is me dropping back in behind the MC with no ballast.   I'm crushing the lip with the board so you are seeing foam instead of the wave face.  Oh, my son was there too...that's his little hat.     

Rod S

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 11:26:48 AM »

Stuey, so not to completely hijack your thread, your rims have got me thinking some more.  Have I mentioned I really like how they turned out?   Grin

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories