Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
November 28, 2014, 07:03:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MERGED: Air Filter Replacement/T25 Screwdriver  (Read 8520 times, 18 Replies)
shogun95

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2008, 06:53:10 PM »

With 20,000 miles on our Acadia I decided to replace the air filter.  It took me 2 weeks to find one since most auto parts stores don't carry it.  I finally found one at a Saturn dealer for $22.  My GMC dealer did not have one.  This is not your everyday air filter.  It has a rigid plastic frame and a pleat design that I have not seen before.  I came home today and decided to replace it thinking it would only take a minute or two...WRONG flaming mad  There are 6 one and a half inch long screws with number 25 torx heads.  I thought no big deal, I have a significant amount of tools including torx screwdrivers.  I found out that my screwdriver was not long enough and had to go buy a torx bit flaming mad for my rachet set for which I have several extensions.  You also have to remove the semi-rigid plastic tube from the mass air flow sensor which is a tight fit to get the air box top out.  After doing that the air filter is easily replaced.  Reassembly is a little interesting because it would be quite easy to drop a couple of the screws into the engine bay since they are difficult to get your hand down to the screw bosses to get them started.  With my daughter holding a light I was able to get them all restarted without dropping any and tightened them all back down.  Reattaching the air tube was not particularly easy but it did go back together.  This is by far the most unfriendly service design I have ever seen for an air filter.  I am grateful I only need to do this about once a year!  It took me about 20 minutes of actual work for something I expected would take no more than 2 minutes.  I can only guess what a dealer would charge to replace it for someone that is not mechanically inclined. $20 filter plus 30 minutes of labor would be over $60 to replace it.  Even though I change my own oil (Yes I am cheap), I doubt anyone is going to be able to get it replaced at an oil and lube place. I love the vehicle, but the fuse location over the passenger toes and the air filter servicability are just ridiculous!! flaming mad flaming mad flaming mad  End of rant.
potatojoe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:15:44 PM »

just for your info.you dont have to unscrew them all the way. mine are captive. they will stay in the top half

2007 SLE, AWD, Carbon Metallic, Bose, Trailer Pkg
2000 Buick Century
1978 Chevy Blazer 4 Wd
1974 Nova
1972 Nova
rme8494

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 08:40:17 AM »

This is good information to have.  I was going to check out my air filter the other day because of some poor gas mileage I am getting.  Much to my surprise I don't have the right screw driver for the job.  Very frustrating, I can't think of any reason why they would not use regular screws except to make you go to the dealership to get the work done.

Ryan

07 Acadia, Deep Blue Met, Titanium, SLT-1, HUD, Rear DVD, XM, Rear Park Assist, Heated Seats, Washer and Side view mirrors
KBacon

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 10:33:38 AM »

GM has been using torx bits for years.  These are readily available at any automotive or tool store.  The torx screws don't strip out as easy as regular slotted screws.  Why they didn't just use regular hex screws I have no idea. 

'08 Acadia SLT1 FWD Cabon Black Metallic/Ebony
Sunroof, Cargo, Conv, Trailer, Power Liftgate.. Built 04/08
i_like_f150s

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:50:40 PM »

My quick lube place inspected the air filter at the last oil change (10K miles) and it was fine, although it did take them a few extra minutes to get it out.  They said if I brought a new air filter with me to the next oil change (15K miles) they would swap it out at no change (since they would have to remove it to inspect it anyway).  They also said they hadn't started stocking that part number yet.

'08 SLT-1 FWD, Blue/Gold, 19"s, 7-pass. May 8th Flash
schaefsn

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 02:39:52 PM »

I just installed a K&N over the weekend ($60+ from www.ajusa.com/mt with free shipping)  It was a royal pain to get the torx screws out but worth it.

If anyone wants a replacement air filter that was used for 200 miles let me know and all you have to do is pay shipping.

2008 SLT-1 AWD, Summit White, Ebony Interior, DVD, 19" Wheels, Convenience Package, Power Lift Gate, 8-Passenger Seating
rme8494

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 11:32:11 AM »

GM has been using torx bits for years.  These are readily available at any automotive or tool store.  The torx screws don't strip out as easy as regular slotted screws.  Why they didn't just use regular hex screws I have no idea. 

I have owned GM vehicles all my life including an 03 Malibu and and 06 Colorado.  This is the first I've ever seen these screws on the air filter.

07 Acadia, Deep Blue Met, Titanium, SLT-1, HUD, Rear DVD, XM, Rear Park Assist, Heated Seats, Washer and Side view mirrors
Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 10:58:52 AM »

Topic merged with other AirFilter topic with answer
Anyone know the type and size of the screw driver to remove the air filter?

Thanks

2009 GMC Acadia SLE, FWD.              
Quicksilver/Titanium, Convenience/     
Preferred/Visibility/Trailering.
SAC Member
bonk1313
Hey members, Update your signatures with vehicle details. And post some pics of your ACADIA to share.
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

Carbon Black 2008 GMC Acadia SLT 2 Ebony 2-2-3

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 11:03:22 AM »

Anyone know the type and size of the screw driver to remove the air filter?

Thanks

from another thread,will be merged shortly
:  There are 6 one and a half inch long screws with number 25 torx heads.  I thought no big deal, I have a significant amount of tools including torx screwdrivers. 

19's,2xSky,Trailering,GM HR DVD,Husky Liners,Bully Imposter GI51 Grille,Cargo Rails
Built 9/07,5/8 FLASH,XD XTREME 4300K HID KIT,Putco LED Interior Lights,
bonk1313
Hey members, Update your signatures with vehicle details. And post some pics of your ACADIA to share.
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 11:05:04 AM »

Merged

19's,2xSky,Trailering,GM HR DVD,Husky Liners,Bully Imposter GI51 Grille,Cargo Rails
Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 01:04:08 AM »

I just opened the housing and inspected the air filter today.

Changing the filter is really not that bad.
I found that having a very long scerw driver makes the job A LOT easier! thumbs up
First loosen the hose clamp on the flex tube, and remove the flex tube from the air filter (AF)housing.
Disconnect the electrical connection (air sensor?) from the AF housing.
Unhook the clamp with the two thin black hoses.
loosen the six screws, but do not completely remove them.
Lift the AF housing cover from the vehicle.

It only took about 10 minutes for the entire task.

SAC Member
bonk1313
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 08:19:58 AM »

I just opened the housing and inspected the air filter today.

Changing the filter is really not that bad.
I found that having a very long scerw driver makes the job A LOT easier! thumbs up
First loosen the hose clamp on the flex tube, and remove the flex tube from the air filter (AF)housing.
Disconnect the electrical connection (air sensor?) from the AF housing.
Unhook the clamp with the two thin black hoses.
loosen the six screws, but do not completely remove them.
Lift the AF housing cover from the vehicle.

It only took about 10 minutes for the entire task.

I just removed the 6 screws completely, and lifted the filter housing top up on an angle to towards the passenger side. I didn't remove the electrical plug, or flex tube. Still had plenty of room to put a shop vac hose in, and replace the filter.

mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »

Has anyone replaced the Acadia airfilter?  Manual suggests it's only needed after 50K miles but that seem stoo long.  Looks like you need a torx driver and the cover is in a very tight space.

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
Rat407

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 12:37:35 PM »

You will need a T25 torx bit. Remove the eight screws and loosen the clamp on the mass air flow, lift off and replace filter.  I installed an STP 100110 air filter and change it every 10k miles. From my oil analysis it is working well. My silicon levels have been nice and low, which reflects an air filter that is doing its job, keeping dirt out. I live in a farming area with a ton of dust. You might not need to change it as often, maybe every 20k. It varies per individual and where/how you drive.

bonk1313
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 01:51:03 PM »

Has anyone replaced the Acadia airfilter?  Manual suggests it's only needed after 50K miles but that seem stoo long.  Looks like you need a torx driver and the cover is in a very tight space.
Merged with another filter thread

Copperhead13
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 06:37:04 PM »

I drive mostly paved/city streets, I think I could probably do about
25-35,000 on one filter easily.  I checked at about 3,000 miles, and the filter
still looked like it came right out of the box.  I'll check again, now that I have
6 months/8,500 miles.  I bet it's still clean as new.

SAC Member
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »

I got around to changing the air filter today.  Not terrible.  I used a rachet set with extensions to extend the Torx driver.  Then I loosened the screws but left them screwed into the top half of the housing so no issue trying to get them back into the tight spots.  Unclamped the flex duct and was home free.  Thanks to all who offered assistance.

08SLT1, FWD, Summit White, Ebony leather, sunroofs, DVD, power liftgate, remote start, rear sensors
teetertotter
Acadia Freak

Family, Retired, .22 Rifle Comp, Golf, USAF Veteran

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 07:32:34 PM »

Dealer charged me $34.95+ tax installed and was outta there in less than an hour.  I changed it 2 weeks ago at 30K  miles.  I'm sure the Factory OEM filter is good for 50K as recommended.  Filter technology has changed over the years.

New 14', SLT-1, FWD, Silver#30, Leather, Nav w Intelilink
OnStar RemoteLink, Ziebart Rustproof & Undercarriage
Previous: 07' Acadia, 12' Terrain
mikemu
Acadia GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 01:23:42 PM »

Probably so - Mine at 24K miles was barely dirty.  But for $20, nice to have a new one in there now.

Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories