Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
April 17, 2014, 08:30:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Acadia? Check out the all new GMC Terrain at http://www.TerrainForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 Acadia loud thud noise  (Read 7235 times, 39 Replies)
Rudedawg123

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »

Sad Has anyone been experiencing a loud thud/clunk noise when you put the car in drive?  Pulling out of the garage or pulling out of the mall parking lot, I put the car in drive and about 10 seconds later I hear a thud or clunk noise.  I think it's coming from the driver side front wheel but my wife says the noise is coming from the passenger side rear middle seat.  Any help is appreciated.
sharonk

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 07:17:54 PM »

I hear the same noise on my '08 Acadia.  Does anyone know what it is?
GAR
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 08:09:30 PM »

There are other threads about the ABS system self check making a noise, and mine does that, but I think each person may describe it differently.  I would not have said it was a loud thud, but I do hear it and it is noticeable.  The noise will happen at about 7-8 mph and is normal.  There will be another noise that is not quite as loud at about 20 mph and that also is normal.  These noises only happen the first time you drive the car and are described in the manual.

See the other posts for a bunch of discussions on this.

2008 Acadia SLT-1 AWD Red Jewel w/Titanium, Convenience PKG, DVD, 8 pass, Heated Washer. Delivery on 9/17/2007. May 8th Transmission Update 9/24/2008.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
2002 Chevy Tracker 4WD ZR2
big bear craig
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 10:00:34 PM »

It is most likely the ABS doing a self check.  It should occur at 10 mph and 21 mph.  This is normal.
sbutner

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 10:31:04 PM »

Has anyone been experiencing a loud thud/clunk noise when you put the car in drive?  Pulling out of the garage or pulling out of the mall parking lot, I put the car in drive and about 10 seconds later I hear a thud or clunk noise.  I think it's coming from the driver side front wheel but my wife says the noise is coming from the passenger side rear middle seat.  Any help is appreciated.

I haven't noticed my ABS making noise, but there is an auto door lock feature that makes a noise similar to what you describe  and under the same conditions.
Doors can be configured to lock automatically through your DIC.  One configuraiton is to have the doors automatically lock after your reach something like 5 mph after putting the car in drive.  Sounds like a clunk when they lock.  You'd hear it on the drivers side - your wife would hear it on the passenger side...

It can be turned off if it bugs you

vic49

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 08:02:21 AM »

I hear this noise and it sounds as though it is coming from left front wheel area. Was hoping that it it was the ABS I was hearing.
Jello

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 12:10:18 PM »

From the 2007 Acadia owners manual:

Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS)
Your vehicle has the Anti-Lock Brake System
(ABS), an advanced electronic braking system that
will help prevent a braking skid.
When you start the engine and begin to drive
away, ABS will check itself. You might hear
a momentary motor or clicking noise while this test
is going on, and you might even notice that the
brake pedal moves a little. This is normal.

2000 Chevrolet Blazer
2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
2008 Red Jewell SLT-2 AWD with HUD, 19's, sunroof, HID, DVD, NAV, trailering, etc..
PIEGUY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 07:24:31 PM »

I took my 2008 Acadia back to the dealer to have this thud noise checked out and it's the ABS doing its self-test.  While it was explained that this is normal, and that there are no mechanical problems, it seems to me that this could be done without the noise.  Does anyone with the 07 Acadia have this same noise, or is it exclusive with the 08 Acadias?  Surely there is a way that GMC can eliminate this noise, and I would certainly like them to do so.  Has anyone complained to their Customer Service department with any success?  I'm on a mission to get something done about this.  To buy a new vehicle and have this noise is not normal, and they aren't convincing me that this can't be fixed.  Let me hear from you other members.  Thank you.
big bear craig
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 07:28:13 PM »

They all make the noise, and it's really no big deal.
SioXie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 08:42:09 PM »

They all make the noise, and it's really no big deal.

its not a big deal but it can be bothersome IMHO...  flaming mad

i believe GMC can remedy the problem as most cars when doing ABS self check doesnt make noise, i dont have an Acadia yet but it would be kinda irritating to hear any noise everytime you start the car. 

Most cars do it in a mere 5 secs. immediately after starting the car thats why you dont notice it, i dont know why the Acadia is doing it while moving... but i would agree with GAR, as most person described it differently...

big question: does the Enclave (with the quiet tuning) or the Outlook have similar issues with the ABS noises?  inputs pls.  Smiley

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer EVolution

Full Option SLT-2 AWD CARBON BLACK METALLIC w/ Brick Red interior, Captains chair minus Nav and Sunroof
big bear craig
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 09:13:54 AM »

I'm not sure why the noise is made.  I know that it is a self check of the ABS and it is mechanical in nature.  It is just not an issue once you know what the sound is and it only does it upon start up, not everytime you accelerate.  In a way it is reassuring and the driver knows it is working as it should.  It is not nearly as loud as the self locking doors and no one complains about that noise.
mckcab
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 09:42:54 AM »

My Volvo would do a self check the first brake you did.  I hated that.  It would clunk about 5 times and for the first year, would freak me out.  I kept thinking that the brakes weren't working.  I don't even hear the Acadia's unless I am thinking about it!  angel

2005 Midnight Blue G35 Coupe (VROOM!)
2007 Red Jewel SLT-2 Acadia FWD with everything

Walk softly and carry a big stick!
GAR
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 10:00:32 AM »

At first, I noticed it every time I drove the car.  Now I only hear it a small percentage of the time.  I guess I got accustomed to it and don't even hear it any more.

2008 Acadia SLT-1 AWD Red Jewel w/Titanium, Convenience PKG, DVD, 8 pass, Heated Washer. Delivery on 9/17/2007. May 8th Transmission Update 9/24/2008.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
az08acadia

08 Acadia SLT-1 Liquid Silver

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 09:16:07 PM »

Our new 2008 Acadia has also started doing this. Of course, when we noticed it on the test drive on 9/16, nobody could tell us what it was. A bulletin was issued on 9/21 on this issue. It is labeled as Document ID#2016358, #PIT4372A. It only describes this issue with the speed at 7.5 mph and of course says it is "normal".
I have a double thud that occurs around 20 mph and am told that it is "normal" as well but they cannot produce a bulletin for that speed.
Has anyone else actually seen an official bulletin for the issue at 20 mph?
We love our vehicle but it really disturbs me to pay XX for a new vehicle and be told it is "normal" when thuds are occurring.  Angry Angry
big bear craig
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 11:38:25 PM »

Our new 2008 Acadia has also started doing this. Of course, when we noticed it on the test drive on 9/16, nobody could tell us what it was. A bulletin was issued on 9/21 on this issue. It is labeled as Document ID#2016358, #PIT4372A. It only describes this issue with the speed at 7.5 mph and of course says it is "normal".
I have a double thud that occurs around 20 mph and am told that it is "normal" as well but they cannot produce a bulletin for that speed.
Has anyone else actually seen an official bulletin for the issue at 20 mph?
We love our vehicle but it really disturbs me to pay XX for a new vehicle and be told it is "normal" when thuds are occurring.  Angry Angry

The noise you hear is the ABS self check.  It occurs at about 7 and 21 mph.  This is normal and you will get used to it.  It is not a defect.
GAR
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 04:57:35 AM »

I agree you will get used to it.  I don't even hear mine anymore.

2004 Pontiac Vibe
bonk1313
Hey members, Update your signatures with vehicle details. And post some pics of your ACADIA to share.
Global Moderator
Acadia Guru

Carbon Black 2008 GMC Acadia SLT 2 Ebony 2-2-3

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 02:28:21 PM »

I hear a noise too.
I have the auto lock when driving at 5mph. When I pull out of the driveway, and head down the road, about 2 seconds after the doors lock, I hear a click/thud from what seems like the front engine compartment area.

19's,2xSky,Trailering,GM HR DVD,Husky Liners,Bully Imposter GI51 Grille,Cargo Rails
Built 9/07,5/8 FLASH,XD XTREME 4300K HID KIT,Putco LED Interior Lights,
az08acadia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 10:59:55 PM »

I did get a call today from our dealer that GM has posted a TSB with a download that will fix our thud noises. We are scheduled to take it in Monday to have it done.
GAR
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 08:44:11 AM »

Can you please post the number of the TSB?

2004 Pontiac Vibe
az08acadia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 11:23:34 PM »

Well, we took the Acadia in as scheduled for the ABS repair. They referenced bulletin #07-05-25-005 to reprogram EBCM. Unfortunately it did not improve anything. The dealer called me to tell me it did not make any improvements but that they had opened a case on it so that GM could continue to review it. I sure was relieved to hear they did that for me. Angry
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories