Acadiaforum.net Bookmark and Share
August 20, 2014, 12:31:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.   (Registering removes in-text ads)
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Acadia Sales Numbers:    Sept: 5,287      YTD Total: 62,013      All Time: 323,333  (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rear liftgate stuck shut  (Read 20502 times, 38 Replies)
dinny

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2007, 03:46:25 PM »

OK I am frustrated. 

Right in the middle of a job of loading and unloading rock for my flower beds the liftgate won't open. I, of course have an acadia full of buckets of rock. Incidentally I did have the recall lift switch replaced in March. 

Took it to the dealer and they got it opened once and THEN SHUT IT AGAIN!!!! Now it is stuck and they have temporarily given up.  They sent me home with my stuck hatch car.  I'll get a call when the part comes in, but how are they going to replace it if they can't get it open???  I have heard that this could lead to having to cut open my Acadia and replacing the whole back hatch.  Anyone else been through this problem?  And what kind of guarantee do I have it won't happen again, since this supposidly was fixed already.  Should I not take it back to them unless they have a replacement hatch on hand?

2007  deep blue Acadia SLE 4 DR FWD w/ convenience pakage, no extra bells and whistles.
misbehaving 89 Chevy Suburban FWD 1500, dented deep blue gray.
jseck2

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:00:41 PM »

It's in one of TSB's. If I recall, the check was to open it five times and if it always worked, no problem. If not, replace the switch.

2007 Summit White FWD SLE with 8 seats, XM, trailering, convenience, preferred & cargo packages. It's an early one (built 11/06) with bonus left AND right skid rails underneath.
dinny

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 09:00:57 PM »

Yeah, but they ordered a part and I had to come back another day so they could put it in.  So it was fixed or at least changed out.  To me this means the part they are using to fix it is also defective.  Which to my way of worrying means it could well happen again, even if they do get it fixed without cutting out my door.

Does anyone know, will they have to cut the door to get to the part.  Cause I don't want them doing that until they have a replacment door on hand.

I am probably borrowing trouble, but I think this is going to be a huge inconvenience and pain.

2007  deep blue Acadia SLE 4 DR FWD w/ convenience pakage, no extra bells and whistles.
jomigo

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 06:33:16 PM »

I have the same problem intermittently.  Open switch won't work even if you squeeze the heck out of it.  Come back a couple minutes later and it works fine.  In connection with this, it also opens on it's own intermittently when I close the back doors.  The latch just pops open.  The gate doesn't lift, but the switch engages and pops it open.
Mine hasn't completely locked me out yet.  I can push down pretty hard on the liftgate, push, pull, push, pull and it will eventually click open.  I took it to the dealer who of course it wouldn't replicate for exactly, and they just lubed it and claimed it works fine.
Have you found a solution to this yet in the past month since your last post?  I'd be interested.
P.S.  I'm assuming you do not have the power liftgate, which I do not either.

2007 Acadia, AWD, SLE, 7 seat, Convenience Package, Liquid Silver Metallic
dinny

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 06:58:16 PM »

Your problem sounds very similar to mine, only once mine got stuck shut, it stayed that way (with the exception of the mechanic getting it open the one time).  I took it home while waiting for the part to come in and repeatedly had the problem of reading the error "rear liftgate open", (which it wasn't), part of the locking mechanism had disengaged, leaving the door slightly ajar but unopenable.  The ordered part came in within a few days and I took the car back in.  The delaer mechanics were able to access the door from inside the car without cutting any new holes (I had been told by others they would need to cut into the door, what a relief this wasn't true).  There's a button on the inside of the hatch which is the same color as the black plastic. I assume this is how they gained access.  Anyway they put in the new part and it has worked fine so far.  If I were you, I would want them to replace the switch, cause it sounds like it is only a matter of time before you get stuck shut...  though I have to wonder if the replacement switch will eventually lead to the same problem. 

Drumr

Go Broncos

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 02:59:53 PM »

Mine just stuck today.  Had the Acadia since April and have never had a problem.  This morning the latch popped when I closed the doors.  I pushed it shut and now nothing happens at all when I try to open the rear liftgate.  Very lucky I have nothing to haul today.  Guess I will call the dealer and schedule an appointment.

2007 Acadia AWD SLT-1 (Liquid Silver Metallic / Light Titanium) with 2nd row bench & DVD Entertainment System
jomigo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 05:21:21 PM »

Thanks for the bit about the switch being replaced. 
I can get into mine.  It may take a lock, unlock, lock, unlock sequence, and once in a while a push down on the gate to get it to pop open, but I can get in.
I'll let everyone know what I find out from the dealer this week.....

big bear craig
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 05:23:51 PM »

Have these stuck hatches been with the powered hatch or the manual lift?
dinny

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 05:58:07 PM »

I have a manual liftgate.  The switch in question is the one that is engaged when I press on the rear liftgate handle.

Drumr

Go Broncos

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 06:59:08 PM »

Same here, mine is a manual lift gate.  But with the electronic latch mechanism... when it stops working... you are kind of stuck.

2007 Acadia AWD SLT-1 (Liquid Silver Metallic / Light Titanium) with 2nd row bench & DVD Entertainment System
big bear craig
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 07:25:23 PM »

Thanks.  I will be interested in what is causing the problem.
Drumr

Go Broncos

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 09:07:17 PM »

So here is the latest to my story:
The latch stopped working last Friday evening and would not work at all.  Ocassionally I would open the driver or passenger door and you could hear the rear latch pop.  The rear hatch opened about 1/4 of an inch but the latch was still dead.  So I would push it closed.  Thursday evening I unlocked the doors and suddenly the rear latch started working again.
I had made an appointment Monday with my dealer (Dennis Dillon in Boise ID) to have it looked at on Friday.
Took the Acadia in to Dennis Dillon GMC today to have the latch fixed and have the outdoor temp gauge checked out because it continues to stick at various temps.  After having the vehicle all day, I was told that there is nothing wrong with it.  There is no recall on the back latch or liftgate and everything works fine for them  Bang Head   I guess I am just making this up.  Their solution is that when it happens next time, I am supposed to take it in immediately and they will try and take a look at it.  If it is intermittant... there is nothing they can do.  Makes me feel good about the dealer and the vehicle.  flaming mad   
Does anyone know if there is a manual open option on the rear liftgate?  I play the drums and one of the main reasons I bought the Acadia was the convenience of getting them in and out.  If my liftgate stops working with my drums in the back... I am sort of screwed.  Lots of fun trying to get everything out the side doors.
I am done whining for now... I will let you know what happens next  Oh No

big bear craig
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 09:52:51 PM »

I don't know of any other way to open the hatch except for the outside handle.  This is one area the foreign cars have had an advantage over ameican cars in the past.  The american manufactures seem to think as long as they cover a problem under warranty everyone is happy.  Owners do not have the time to take their cars to the dealer numerous times for this kind of crap.  GM needs to address these problems and take care of them now.
jfencl

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 10:23:03 PM »

(Dennis Dillon in Boise ID)
We looked there and they said one of their biggest selling points is that they have a "great service department."  I hope this isn't indicative of their service.

Good luck, fellow Idahoan.  I wish you the best getting this fixed.

2008 Acadia SLT-2 AWD, Blue-gold Crystal Metallic, Titanium, Trailering, Hud, Nav, Sunroof.
Dan-M

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »

I don't know of any other way to open the hatch except for the outside handle.  This is one area the foreign cars have had an advantage over ameican cars in the past.  The american manufactures seem to think as long as they cover a problem under warranty everyone is happy.  Owners do not have the time to take their cars to the dealer numerous times for this kind of crap.  GM needs to address these problems and take care of them now.

I agree, but the truth is there are an endless river of problems that could happen with this car.  For those that get them all, or many of them, we're screwed until the lemon law kicks in. Then we have to deal with that headache.  I know I will never buy a first model year again.   

2007 GMC Acadia AWD SLT-2 Summit white/Titanium 19's Tow package Nav, Leather, DVD,HUD,HID, Splash Guards, Tinted Front's, All Weather Mats Cross Bars Chrome GMC Logo. Build Date/12-06
mckcab
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 09:34:06 AM »

Intermittant problems are hard to find.  I had problems with my air conditioner in the Volvo.  95 degrees outside and it would cut off.  I took it to the dealer 2ce and worked perfectly for them.  The third time I went straight to the dealer when it happened and they were able to find a fix. 

If you turn off your electronic lift does the tail gate still not open?  I have problems getting the power lift to shut the door it will go all the way down to about an inch and "pop" back open.   It seems there was some sort of bulletin out there for this problem way back in May, your dealership shouldn't dismiss this problem so quickly.

2005 Midnight Blue G35 Coupe (VROOM!)
2007 Red Jewel SLT-2 Acadia FWD with everything

Walk softly and carry a big stick!
big bear craig
Acadia Freak

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 10:04:59 AM »

I'm wondering if these liftgate problems are electronic or just an adjustment problem.
jomigo

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 11:18:57 AM »

Here's an update to my situation.  Last I posted I was going to take it into the shop, and I did.  Took it in late last week.  I have the manual liftgate and it was having the intermittent problems (read posts above for details).  Anyhow I took it to one dealer (not the one I bought from, but they were about 12 miles closer to my home so of course would be my first choice).  They couldn't find anything wrong and just lubed the latch.  Of course it continued to have problems, so I took it to the dealer I bought it from.  They put their "master electrician" on the job, and he said their is an electrical problem in the latch mechanism.  So they have ordered that part and I will be taking it in later this week to be fixed. 
For the benefit of this group, I will grill the >Cheesy out of them for the part number(s) they replaced, the procedure, etc.....and repost with whatever details they give me.
Funny you would mention the outside temp gauge, I have that problem too.  I'm not going to worry about that though, not yet....latch is more important. 

jomigo

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 09:49:21 PM »

I got it back from the shop today.  Delay of course because no parts on shelf being a first year model.
Anyhow, so far so good (I've had it just 2 hours and it's worked fine).  Here is what the service order says:
  • Replaced Liftgate Latch
  • Also replaced liftgate release switch per TAC Case
The parts that were used were:
  • FP Number 15887967 - Lock 12.242
  • FP Number 25876128 - Switch 16.263
In speaking with the technician who did the work, he said he called GM's Technical center to get help on diagnosing this one.  I assume that is what "TAC" meant in his notes above.  Probably "Technical Assistance Center" or something like that.  It's also interesting that he called it a "TAC Case" which implies to me that this is a know issue and they have a "case" number or file for it.  Why don't they call the first time we bring it in? Bang Head
Give your service departments a call and give the info above....hopefully everyone can get this fixed. 
I'll reply back if the fix doesn't work over the next week or so....let's hope I don't have to.

jomigo

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 04:02:34 PM »

Just a quick update to the "fix" I had performed above. 
It seems to have worked.  I have not had any problems with the liftgate since.
Hopefully you can use the info above if you are having the same problem.
Let's hope the new parts don't fail....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories